Notices
EvoM New Member / FAQs / EvoM Rules New member? Come on in, introduce yourself, and get acquainted with the evolutionm.net posse :) FAQs will also be answered in here.

Trading in a MazdaSpeed6 for an X

Search this Thread

Old Sep 19, 2009, 09:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Trading in a MazdaSpeed6 for an X

I've finally decided to rid myself of my Speed6. I won't bore everyone with all the details, but I should have bought an Evo instead in the first place.

The reason I bought my Speed6 over an Evo was the interior, and the price. When I sat in a IX, it really just felt like I was sitting in a Lancer with some stickers and race seats. All the plastic felt cheap, and I just could not get over it. Sit in a Speed6, however, and it feels like it's worth what it costs (until you try to mod it, or get dicked around by Mazda and their warranties).

However, I have now discovered the 2010 MR Touring package! It looks to be everything I was looking for in an Evo...EXCEPT... no 6 speed manual o_O? I'll be honest and say that I haven't test driven one yet (plan to next week), but the entire idea of paddle shifters makes me go a big rubbery one. I love driving stick. I love having that "racecar" feeling of control. I've sworn up and down since my first manual that I'd never buy another slushbox again.

Three questions:
1) Does anyone have any experience with the Touring package MR's? Do they feel cheap, nice...what?
2) How enjoyable is the MR tranny, and is it even remotely possible to order an MR with a 5 speed?
3) Does anyone know of a good tuner around Cleveland, OH (Buschur, possibly), and how much would a tune run me (like...the day after I buy the car)?

Thanks in advance all.

Last edited by demon39063; Sep 19, 2009 at 09:49 PM.
Old Sep 19, 2009, 09:55 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
1) you'll find out in a week when you drive it.
2) no.
3) when you get tuned, be prepared to be dicked around with mitsubishi warrantee.

Have fun with your new car!
Old Sep 19, 2009, 10:00 PM

Originally Posted by heavens turbo
1) you'll find out in a week when you drive it.
2) no.
3) when you get tuned, be prepared to be dicked around with mitsubishi warrantee.

Have fun with your new car!
1) They don't have an MR with the Touring package, that's why I asked . The MR I'll be driving is a base-line.
2). ****.
3) Any anecdotal evidence you'd like to share? I'm curious as to what they complain about ("how DARE you get better gas mileage and more power with stock components!!!!")

Thanks for the reply
Old Sep 19, 2009, 10:46 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
well, it all depends how the dealer is with mods but the majority, along with many horror stories here, will try to void your warranty for any mods. a flash is detectable, no matter what anyone says. there are corresponding part numbers with the factory flashes. at GM there was a whole tech training video we had to watch which showed how to tell if cars or trucks were flashed or not. personally, i am stock with a drop in, but i rarely go to the dealer for anything except parts.
on the topic of the tranny, there are mixed reviews on here. it's not a typical auto, but there is no stick. there are some who absolutely love it, and the ones that don't have the gsr.
Old Sep 20, 2009, 12:38 AM
Evolving Member

I would definitely shake your hand and pat you on the back. This is probably one of the most wise choices you will ever make in your lyfetime. Hell, i might even throw in a hug and a kiss
Old Sep 20, 2009, 03:28 AM
Evolved Member

3) Any anecdotal evidence you'd like to share? I'm curious as to what they complain about ("how DARE you get better gas mileage and more power with stock components!!!!")
There's tons of examples, but the thing is to look at it logically:

If you come in with a problem, they're going to not want to fix it, since fixing it costs money. And if you've done something to change the performance characteristics of the car, you've done something to change the air/fuel ratio, which is a fairly important thing

As for tuning/cost, Buschur's is great. Give them a call.
Old Sep 20, 2009, 10:57 AM
Evolved Member

Could you clarify what you like about the MR Touring that the GSR doesn't have? Doing a tranny conversion is a big job so obviously upgrading a GSR would be easier (on your warranty and resale value if not your checkbook).

I've heard good things about the MR tranny as far as shifting ability goes. They take very poorly to adding power...if that is a concern then you can stop right there.

If you are near Buschur then obviously you should go there. In my area it is low $300's for the initial tune (up to 2 hours on the dyno) and a bit cheaper per hour after the initial tune, if you want them to dig deep or come back in for a retune after adding some mods.

Last edited by mlomker; Sep 20, 2009 at 11:04 AM.
Old Sep 20, 2009, 05:34 PM

welcome to the community
be careful with the warranty though (unless its not that important to ya)
but im living in the stow area im just glad to see another evo around the area
Old Sep 20, 2009, 06:48 PM

i just saw the touring package available today on the mitsubishi website. it looks pretty promising, but if i was you id go with an ix, spend the extra 10k u would of spent on the x and put it into the engine.
Old Sep 20, 2009, 07:43 PM

Originally Posted by sneezinevo
i just saw the touring package available today on the mitsubishi website. it looks pretty promising, but if i was you id go with an ix, spend the extra 10k u would of spent on the x and put it into the engine.
The reason I didn't buy an Evo in the first place was I was extremely underwhelmed by the interior. If I pay $30-$40k for a car, and I have to drive it everyday, I want it to be nice and comfortable inside

Originally Posted by mlomker
Could you clarify what you like about the MR Touring that the GSR doesn't have? Doing a tranny conversion is a big job so obviously upgrading a GSR would be easier (on your warranty and resale value if not your checkbook).

I've heard good things about the MR tranny as far as shifting ability goes. They take very poorly to adding power...if that is a concern then you can stop right there.

If you are near Buschur then obviously you should go there. In my area it is low $300's for the initial tune (up to 2 hours on the dyno) and a bit cheaper per hour after the initial tune, if you want them to dig deep or come back in for a retune after adding some mods.
Sunroof, keyless, full leather, heated seats; all I can think of atm. From what I've read, you can go to at least 400hp with the paddle shifter tranny.