Notices
EvoM New Member / FAQs / EvoM Rules New member? Come on in, introduce yourself, and get acquainted with the evolutionm.net posse :) FAQs will also be answered in here.

looking for a turbo - options

Search this Thread

Old Sep 21, 2009, 01:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
looking for a turbo - options

Having trouble deciding on the kind of turbo to get, Got it narrowed down to either the FP Red, or the new MAP SST.
The red is a great choice and is chosen by many evo owners; however, I've head that it has a tendency to break more than it should.
the MAP SST is new so I haven't found much along the lines of reviews but it looks pretty great, the only thing is the power output may be a little lower than what I'm looking for.

Anyone have any suggestions about these? or maybe another turbo I haven't looked up yet???
Old Sep 21, 2009, 01:40 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
lol yea you can buy my brand new in box 64mm fp red for 1600+shipping and i can get ppi to do a extreme port job on it and coat it for another 150
Old Sep 21, 2009, 01:43 PM
Evolved Member

Received 126 Likes on 121 Posts
IMO it doesnt seem like you have anything narrowed down...What are your plans for the car? What type of fuel are you going to be running?

The two turbos you have listed arent that similiar. The Red seems to work best under high boost. It will also be laggier in comparison to the SST. Have you looked into the CDRD BBK or the new FP Green HTA73 just to name a few. There really are a lot of choices for stock frame turbos these days.

Dont exactly think this should be asked in the advanced section especially considering I am giving advise

Anyways please do some more research before you jump into a decision. There is a ton of great info that can be found on this forum Good luck
Old Sep 21, 2009, 01:46 PM
Evolved Member

get the new BBK turbo
they response better with stock engine
with red
they are more responsive only when u upgrade cam etc etc...
well
gd luck with your choice
u will never go wrong with either RED or BBK or even the new TOMEI ARMS
Old Sep 21, 2009, 01:48 PM
Evolving Member

Tomei arms m7960
Old Sep 21, 2009, 04:49 PM
Evolving Member

Fp red
Old Sep 21, 2009, 04:52 PM
Evolving Member

HTA35 or HTA30
Old Sep 21, 2009, 07:24 PM

Thanks for the feedback right now,
I'm looking to put down 500-550 whp and not go any further with the car, as it IS my daily driver

The appeal of the SST is the cost, and how quick the spool up is; i'd like better spool up as opposed to higher end stuff.

I looked at that new BBK one too, and it didnt seem like the power output can go where I want too.

Also, I'm not gettin any new turbo for about six months, so I still have PLENTY of time for research.

The turbo will go on the evo with...
injen intake, UICP, LICP, stainless 02 housing, 3in turbo back exhaust, ported exhaust manifold, ecu controlled boost, kelford 280 cams, BC springs and retainers, walbro fuel pump, aquamist meth injection, and then a new BOV and intercooler when I'm installing the turbo too.

thankss again for the help thus far, and the help to come!

Last edited by gentlyharsh; Sep 21, 2009 at 07:30 PM.
Old Sep 21, 2009, 07:27 PM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
BBK FULL or the new BBK XL
Old Sep 21, 2009, 09:52 PM
Evolving Member

880cc injectors! ftw hta35
Old Sep 22, 2009, 01:14 AM

Hta35
Old Nov 10, 2009, 09:27 PM

hi i have a evo viii whit the evo ix turbo, i whant a more power now litle lag, for roud race whith turbo is the best bbk full, fp green, or gt30. at what rpm do you have full boost whit these turbos thanks
Old Nov 11, 2009, 02:26 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
with red they are more responsive only when u upgrade cam etc etc...
Incorrect! One of my good friends has 540whp with stock cams. try again. Yes having larger cams will help make more power on less boost (This is the same "logic" behind any build) but it is possible to make great power on stock cams.

I'm looking to put down 500-550 whp and not go any further with the car, as it IS my daily driver
For what you are looking for I would go 80mm FP Red. I get full boost around 3800 rpms and I have a huge Magnus v5 so the spool is not as bad as people think. It is only a few hundred rpms more than stock. You will notice but you will really notice when the Red pull like a ***** and your passanger just shat in your seat. It is also a great DD

The appeal of the SST is the cost, and how quick the spool up is; i'd like better spool up as opposed to higher end stuff.
The SST won't get you anywhere near what you want. Also you don't want a turbo the spools quick but falls on its face at 5,000rpms then the hondas will pass you! Most of us stock block evos rev out to 7.5 or 8k. That means we race in each gear from 6-7.5k or 8k. That is where you want the power. Spool is great around town but the Red still has plenty of pick-up and GO

I looked at that new BBK one too, and it didnt seem like the power output can go where I want too.
Chad's new Billet BBK-Xl will be able to break 500whp but that will be about it.

I would honestly pay 1k for a Red and make 550whp vise 4K for a GT turbo kit and spool slower. The Red is the middle man between spool and great power. There is nothing else like it.

Mikey

Last edited by BLKCarbonEVO; Nov 11, 2009 at 02:28 AM. Reason: Added info
Old Nov 11, 2009, 02:49 AM
Evolved Member

^we'll see, anyway.