Notices
EvoM New Member / FAQs / EvoM Rules New member? Come on in, introduce yourself, and get acquainted with the evolutionm.net posse :) FAQs will also be answered in here.

Evo's Competition

Search this Thread

Old Sep 22, 2009, 06:01 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Evo's Competition

I've always been curious lately, with all of the advance performance parts the Evo has come a long way. Bringing the performance of the car to a whole new level. What would the evom community consider the Evo's competition on the road, and track. I honestly think it has come down to who's Evo is tuned better, leaving only another Evo to compete against. I would love to read your thoughts and opinons
Old Sep 22, 2009, 06:07 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by DavesEvo
I've always been curious lately, with all of the advance performance parts the Evo has come a long way. Bringing the performance of the car to a whole new level. What would the evom community consider the Evo's competition on the road, and track. I honestly think it has come down to who's Evo is tuned better, leaving only another Evo to compete against. I would love to read your thoughts and opinons
WOW you give the subbie no credit pretty sad . I hope you know you can make any car a track car given enough money . Heck i would even say the New Z and of course the r34 can hold there own with mods or without. Im sorry all this evo is the ultimate car talk gets to me when there are clearly other cars that compete
Old Sep 22, 2009, 06:10 AM

Nothing against the Subbies, I've just only seen Evo's keeping up other Evo's. Don't get me wrong I love Subbies too.
Old Sep 22, 2009, 06:55 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
For a street car, the Evo is pretty bad ***. The STI will hold it's own of course, as well as many M and AMG cars. The New 350Z and 370Z are great platforms too, especially in corners.

But, if you are talking about on the track, I was recently SPANKED by a E36 BMW during some fun runs. It was full race prep though and on R-comps with a full E46 suspension and rear end transplant. Half the weight and twice the tire and better balance will win every time.

During the actual event many Miatas were faster than my time ... one by around 5 full seconds. He pulled out a 1:08.xx to my 1:13.4. It is a fully prepped CSP autocross car and easily nationally competitive ... especially with that driver.

Honestly, we're building a LeMons racer from a Mazda MX-6, and I wouldn't doubt it will hang with my Evo at the track as it will be much lighter and stiffer with the cage. It's really not hard or expensive to build something that will beat an Evo on the track.
Old Sep 22, 2009, 07:09 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by TouringBubble
For a street car, the Evo is pretty bad ***. The STI will hold it's own of course, as well as many M and AMG cars. The New 350Z and 370Z are great platforms too, especially in corners.

But, if you are talking about on the track, I was recently SPANKED by a E36 BMW during some fun runs. It was full race prep though and on R-comps with a full E46 suspension and rear end transplant. Half the weight and twice the tire and better balance will win every time.

During the actual event many Miatas were faster than my time ... one by around 5 full seconds. He pulled out a 1:08.xx to my 1:13.4. It is a fully prepped CSP autocross car and easily nationally competitive ... especially with that driver.

Honestly, we're building a LeMons racer from a Mazda MX-6, and I wouldn't doubt it will hang with my Evo at the track as it will be much lighter and stiffer with the cage. It's really not hard or expensive to build something that will beat an Evo on the track.

AMEN ALL YOU NEED IS MONEY AND TIME
Old Sep 22, 2009, 07:21 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by TouringBubble
During the actual event many Miatas were faster than my time
For the money a Spec Miata (or one built more than Spec) is one hell of a deal. $20k for a very competent car. I may get one down the road and leave my Evo on the street (AWD is nice in the winter!).
Old Sep 22, 2009, 08:40 AM

I do admire the 350z/370z, they seem to respond pretty well.
Old Sep 22, 2009, 08:42 AM

One of these days after i've gotten all out of my evo I would love to purchase a BMW M3
Old Sep 22, 2009, 08:50 AM
Evolved Member

I LOVE m3's. The thing is they cost RIDICULOUS amounts of money to mod. Say an e46, 99% of the stage 1 turbo kits cost 10,000 or above. Then if you stay NA, you better plan on doingtons of work to make it fast. They only put down 250-270whp.
Old Sep 22, 2009, 09:57 AM

Yea the Evo has the AWD and turbo platform. OP if your talking about any guy who owns a car on the street. And wants to mod with a maybe track day. Your got the subbie. You have the new 370. Which IMO will take a stock X anyday. They are incredibly fast if you've even driven one. There lighter I beleive and more power stock. And very stiff.

Race wise. Any car can keep with an evo.