Notices
EvoM New Member / FAQs / EvoM Rules New member? Come on in, introduce yourself, and get acquainted with the evolutionm.net posse :) FAQs will also be answered in here.

Should I take the plunge

Search this Thread

Old Sep 29, 2009, 03:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Should I take the plunge

So after 3 years of having my 06 Civic Si, I finally got bit by the car bug. I'm completlely new to EVO's and this will be my first. Went to the dealer yesterday, they had a Silver 09 X MR in the showroom. Fell in love with the car, but dont know if I want an auto. I drove a ralliart to get a feel for the twin-clutch tranny. Its defiantly fun to drive, but not sure if I'd be happy with it down the road. The MR was stickered at 39K. I was in the showroom for 10 minutes, and said the MR might be a little rich for my blood, at the drop of a hat he says he can do 32K. Is it common for them to discount the cars that much? If so, how much would the bargain on a GSR with the SSS package??

No one in my area has a GSR to test drive so I'm waiting until then to make my decision. Does anyone who has the MR regret getting it because of the twin-clutch??

On a final note, this forum is awesome, so much info I can spend days on here, which I will, just reading.

Here are some pics of my current ride. She's in the process of getting parted out and sold. Mods are Stage 2 supercharged, Intake, race header, exhaust. full coilovers, and tons of little extra's.

Old Sep 29, 2009, 03:27 PM

I dunno whut your looking to do when u get your evo but..... if your looking for speed as well as power i would go with an RS. i have an '08 RS and i luv it. you lose the "luxury" aspect of the car ( power windows, sunroof, leather blah blah blah) but u gain the speed and power because of the light body! the mr is a 6spd and alot of the guyz i know that own an MR say the tranny sux, 5spd iz better.......... less issues. also, 39k (sorry 32k), if you ask me, is alot of mileage for that year MR.... but hey......... im no expert Good luck and happy buying!
Old Sep 29, 2009, 03:35 PM

I dont know what my plans for the car are yet. I always find myself wanting more so I'll probably just mod with bolt-ons seeing how she will be a DD also. Let me clarify, I was talking about price on the MR in the showroom not mileage. He said he could 32K for the price. VS. the 39K listed on the sticker.

What kind of deals are people getting on GSR's?
Old Sep 29, 2009, 06:31 PM
Evolved Member

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
Welcome to the forums! Your Civic Si is really clean, though I'm not a big fan of the eyelids. What made you put on RSX Type-S wheels?

About your future purchase, I haven't driven a X MR, but I just can't imagine myself not driving a manual transmission if I have a performance car at this point in my life. I'm not too proud to drive something that doesn't have a clutch pedal, but I really do value the driver involvement. Personally, I've owned two Evos and was considering an '08 X GSR toward the end of last year, and I really couldn't justify the extra money (and it's a lot of extra money) for the MR, so I would have wanted the X GSR SSS, which is what you want as well, based on what you're saying. But if they're really going to give you a brand new X MR for $32k, then that's actually a smoking deal.

Originally Posted by GRIMMLOCK
I dunno whut your looking to do when u get your evo but..... if your looking for speed as well as power i would go with an RS. i have an '08 RS and i luv it.
There is no such thing as an '08 RS in the United States.

also, 39k (sorry 32k), if you ask me, is alot of mileage for that year MR.... but hey......... im no expert
He was referring to sale price, not odometer reading.
Old Sep 29, 2009, 06:38 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by DeeezNuuuts83
if they're really going to give you a brand new X MR for $32k, then that's actually a smoking deal.
The OP also said 09 X MR, which doesn't exist. If he can get a new 08 MR for 32k then that's a good price. New 08's are becoming hard to come by at this point. The 2010's are out but not discounted like that.

Last edited by mlomker; Sep 29, 2009 at 06:43 PM.
Old Sep 29, 2009, 06:45 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by mlomker
The OP also said 09 X MR, which doesn't exist. If he can get a new 08 MR for 32k then that's a good price. New 08's are becoming hard to come by at this point. The 2010's are out but not discounted like that.
That's a good deal. I got mine for $37K before taxes.
Old Sep 29, 2009, 06:59 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by whoang40
I got mine for $37K before taxes.
Yeah, I paid $33k for my GSR just two months ago but I also have NAV & Aero. They had a similar MR that they wanted 2k more for.
Old Sep 30, 2009, 06:13 AM

Welcome to the forums! Your Civic Si is really clean, though I'm not a big fan of the eyelids. What made you put on RSX Type-S wheels?

About your future purchase, I haven't driven a X MR, but I just can't imagine myself not driving a manual transmission if I have a performance car at this point in my life. I'm not too proud to drive something that doesn't have a clutch pedal, but I really do value the driver involvement. Personally, I've owned two Evos and was considering an '08 X GSR toward the end of last year, and I really couldn't justify the extra money (and it's a lot of extra money) for the MR, so I would have wanted the X GSR SSS, which is what you want as well, based on what you're saying. But if they're really going to give you a brand new X MR for $32k, then that's actually a smoking deal.

He was referring to sale price, not odometer reading.
Thanks for the props on the civic. The eyelids didst last long, neither did the RSX wheels. I got a good deal on the wheels so I figured I'd rock them until I found something. Car currently has Mugen wheels, but I don't have any pics of it.

I just checked the dealers website, the MR was an 08.
I feel the same way about not having a clutch. I guess its the GSR for me. What is a good price for a GSR with the SSS package? I'm hoping with all the deals there having 30K is possible.

The wait is killing me, Parting out my car and returning it to stock is going to take forever. I'll never sell my stock parts again
Old Sep 30, 2009, 06:35 AM

Ok so the "8" and the "5" look the same at like 1am! lol. I Meant '05 RS......

referring to sale price, not odometer reading.
If thats the sale price then yep itz a good deal for an X MR ........... BUT ....

No clutch CLUTCH
Old Sep 30, 2009, 06:36 AM
Evolving Member

Wait for the 2010s to get discounted. Hell if for no other reason than getting the ACD switch put back where it belongs and getting stereo controls on the steering wheel instead. That makes more sense to me.
Old Sep 30, 2009, 07:18 AM
Evolved Member

No clutch CLUTCH
I dunno. It also has nicer struts and more sound deadening. It depends on how far you're going to take it. I did my first track day a few weeks back and was wishing that I had an auto...I would have preferred to have focused on braking, the line, etc and not shifting.
Old Sep 30, 2009, 09:29 AM

By nicer struts, do you mean softer or more aggressive. I've read the MR has bilstein shocks and the GSR has KYB stocks IIRC. I never found what the difference is between the two.

If I decide to mod the MR, what can the twin-clutch hold?
Old Sep 30, 2009, 10:12 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Airportguy770
By nicer struts, do you mean softer or more aggressive. I've read the MR has bilstein shocks and the GSR has KYB stocks IIRC. I never found what the difference is between the two.
In Evos, the Bilsteins on the MRs have always provided a slightly more compliant ride while still having practically identical cornering abilities as the standard ones. So basically, they're more comfortable.

If I decide to mod the MR, what can the twin-clutch hold?
No one has really explored the limits of the MR's TC-SST (at least not to my knowledge off the top of my head), but I'd guess 340-350 hp is a safe zone to be. (People with more knowledge, please chime in if I'm wrong.) However, the twin-clutch has some safeguards that should help protect it, like how you can't truly launch the car, which is what usually causes most of the problems.
Old Sep 30, 2009, 10:24 AM

Originally Posted by lords3t
Wait for the 2010s to get discounted. Hell if for no other reason than getting the ACD switch put back where it belongs and getting stereo controls on the steering wheel instead. That makes more sense to me.
I just noticed that, crappy placement if you ask me. I have a bad habit of playing with buttons on the steering wheel while cruising on the highway

In Evos, the Bilsteins on the MRs have always provided a slightly more compliant ride while still having practically identical cornering abilities as the standard ones. So basically, they're more comfortable.

No one has really explored the limits of the MR's TC-SST (at least not to my knowledge off the top of my head), but I'd guess 340-350 hp is a safe zone to be. (People with more knowledge, please chime in if I'm wrong.) However, the twin-clutch has some safeguards that should help protect it, like how you can't truly launch the car, which is what usually causes most of the problems.
I appreciate the info
Old Sep 30, 2009, 10:30 AM
Evolved Member

I just noticed that, crappy placement if you ask me. I have a bad habit of playing with buttons on the steering wheel while cruising on the highway
While a better location of things is always welcome, moving the ACD switch isn't a huge deal. It's not like you toggle between the settings on-the-fly frequently anyway. If it rains, you hit the ACD switch ONCE, then you keep driving. I don't really need the switch to be within instant reach of my thumbs.

Quick Reply: Should I take the plunge