Notices
EvoM New Member / FAQs / EvoM Rules New member? Come on in, introduce yourself, and get acquainted with the evolutionm.net posse :) FAQs will also be answered in here.

Is O2 housing recommended for stage 1/2 setup?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 29, 2009 | 04:00 PM
Evolving Member

Is O2 housing recommended for stage 1/2 setup?

I will soon have a basic setup of tbe, licp, filter and tune. Is an O2 housing worth getting at this stage or does it really only benefit more advanced setups? I've done quite a bit of searching but haven't found a clear answer.
Old Sep 29, 2009 | 04:33 PM
Evolving Member

An aftermarket 02 housing, depending on the design and build quality, will always provide gains. Its just a pain in the @$$ to install because there are so many steps to getting to the 02 housing. Some people just wait until they change turbo's to do the 02 housing.. But I just got it done when I had the money.

I'm mechanically challenged and there was no way in hell I would be able to do the work on my own. Shops also charge a pretty penny to install 02 housings. If you can install the 02 housing yourself, I would say go for it.

Some people may disagree, that the 02 housing is not worth the money.. But I'm very happy with my Titek V2 02 Housing.
Old Sep 29, 2009 | 05:32 PM
FJF
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by modetm
I've done quite a bit of searching but haven't found a clear answer.
You know, I've been here for 3 years and I've yet to see documented gains from an O2 housing - just a lot of hearsay and anecdotal testimonials. My IX with a MBC, TBE, and a FMIC pulls the same numbers on STM's MD as IXs with full bolt-ons including an O2 housing. YMMV
Old Sep 29, 2009 | 05:39 PM
Evolved Member

I felt a major improvment in power and slightly better spool with my ebay unit. Got it coated as well since it wasn't cast anymore to retain heat and help spool even more. Worth the 100 bucks. Major pain in the **** in terms of installing it.
Old Sep 29, 2009 | 06:07 PM
Evolved Member

From: South Beach, FL / Miami, FL / Pt. St. Lucie, FL / NYC
If your going to do a TBE then do the o2 housing. I consider TBE to include o2 housing, DP, test pipe, and catback. If your going to do the exhaust do it all the way. I know it's a PITA to change it but it's worth it
Old Sep 29, 2009 | 06:08 PM
Evolved Member

i still dont know what a stage 1 or 2 is can someone explain that to me?

but on topic an 02 housing will definitely make a lil more power for you with a proper tune if you want the car to sound mean as **** get a o2 dump
Old Sep 29, 2009 | 06:52 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by FJF
You know, I've been here for 3 years and I've yet to see documented gains from an O2 housing
The most respected Mitsu tuner in my area recommends them on VIII's but I'm not sure about IX's. The MIVEC allows you to dial in enough power that the effect of other mods might be masked (at least on a stock turbo).

Last edited by mlomker; Sep 29, 2009 at 06:56 PM.
Old Sep 29, 2009 | 06:57 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Silver05Bullet
i still dont know what a stage 1 or 2 is can someone explain that to me?
I hate it when people say that... "Yea, I've got a stage 3 clutch"
Old Sep 29, 2009 | 07:05 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by FJF
You know, I've been here for 3 years and I've yet to see documented gains from an O2 housing - just a lot of hearsay and anecdotal testimonials. My IX with a MBC, TBE, and a FMIC pulls the same numbers on STM's MD as IXs with full bolt-ons including an O2 housing. YMMV
So you don't recall the Buschur Racing thread with their ebay o2 hosuing making over 10whp and enhancing boost?

Carlos
Old Sep 29, 2009 | 07:06 PM
Evolved Member

I found immediate gains when i installed my tbe + o2 housing.

def. worth the work
Old Sep 29, 2009 | 07:11 PM
FJF
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by fromWRXtoEVO
So you don't recall the Buschur Racing thread with their ebay o2 hosuing making over 10whp and enhancing boost?

Carlos
I recall the thread, and I also remember the added boost as you mention. IIRC, it was a little over 1PSI. After the boost was adjusted, so were the gains. In subsequent years, I can't recall a single O2 housing comparison that resulted in clear gains. I wish it weren't so, as I'd be the first one to drop a $100 on the part. There's also the possibility that I haven't seen every thread. If such a dynograph does exist, I wish someone would post a link.
Old Sep 29, 2009 | 07:23 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by FJF
I recall the thread, and I also remember the added boost as you mention. IIRC, it was a little over 1PSI. After the boost was adjusted, so were the gains. In subsequent years, I can't recall a single O2 housing comparison that resulted in clear gains. I wish it weren't so, as I'd be the first one to drop a $100 on the part. There's also the possibility that I haven't seen every thread. If such a dynograph does exist, I wish someone would post a link.
Many people posted gains with the EPM housing ... I personally gained 19hp/19tq over a Megan housing on it and we saw 14hp gains on the prototype on the test car.

But, it's funny that so many people never wanted to believe the gains found with the EPM housing even though they were very open with their research, testing and findings and were even backed up by independent customers.

IMO, and with backing results, I say that O2 housings are worth upgrading.

See the graphs below ... I'm even including the overlay of the compared runs to show that boost levels did not change. Timing differs slightly due to airflow/load changes. And, I actually had a boost leak on the O2 dump run as you can see in the WGDC curve ...
Attached Thumbnails Is O2 housing recommended for stage 1/2 setup?-powercomparison.gif   Is O2 housing recommended for stage 1/2 setup?-poweroverlaycomparison.gif  

Last edited by TouringBubble; Sep 29, 2009 at 07:26 PM.
Old Sep 29, 2009 | 07:26 PM
FJF
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by TouringBubble
Many people posted gains with the EPM housing ... I personally gained 19hp/19tq on it and we saw 14hp gains on the prototype on the test car.

But, it's funny that so many people never wanted to believe the gains found with the EPM housing even though they were very open with their research, testing and findings and were even backed up by independent customers.

IMO, and with backing results, I say that O2 housings are worth upgrading.

See the graphs below ... I'm even including the overlay of the compared runs to show that boost levels did not change. Timing differs slightly due to airflow/load changes.
This is an open dump, correct? I just want to make sure that we're comparing apples to apples.

Th DLL plot compares a SS O2 housing to the EPM dump, and the EMP makes more power. Perhaps there's a lack of clear communication, or maybe I'm not getting it, but the question seems to revolve around the stock 02 housing vs an aftermarket part of similar design.

Last edited by FJF; Sep 29, 2009 at 07:31 PM.
Old Sep 29, 2009 | 07:32 PM
Evolved Member

Yes, the graphs above show a comparison of the EPM housing (open) to the Megan housing (tubular and recirc'd). The initial gains on the prototype showed a peak gain of 14hp (and 8hp to 12hp gains over much of the power band) in comparison to the stock housing.

The design changes between prototype and production resulted in even better flow on in the turbine outlet, and more gains. The prototype has a "scalloped" turbine outlet as EPM had not sourced the 3" radius bend used in the final product and this affected flow and gains.
Old Sep 29, 2009 | 07:40 PM
FJF
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by TouringBubble
Yes, the graphs above show a comparison of the EPM housing (open) to the Megan housing (tubular and recirc'd). The initial gains on the prototype showed a peak gain of 14hp (and 8hp to 12hp gains over much of the power band) in comparison to the stock housing.

The design changes between prototype and production resulted in even better flow on in the turbine outlet, and more gains. The prototype has a "scalloped" turbine outlet as EPM had not sourced the 3" radius bend used in the final product and this affected flow and gains.

Is there a comparison between a non-dump'd housing, if you will, like the Megan and the stock piece?

Quick Reply: Is O2 housing recommended for stage 1/2 setup?