Notices
EvoM New Member / FAQs / EvoM Rules New member? Come on in, introduce yourself, and get acquainted with the evolutionm.net posse :) FAQs will also be answered in here.

Looking to buy this MR...thoughts?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 30, 2009, 07:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Looking to buy this MR...thoughts?

Well I've decided to try the AWD thing. I've spent the last 2 mo. debating the STi vs. the EVO and of course, Evo came out on top for me. I have found this car locally:

http://www.mcleodauto.com/2006_mitsu...lancer_367.php

What would you guys be willing to pay or offer to these people?

It appears to be extremely pampered. It has two previous owners in TX and a crystal clear carfax. It has 0 mods on it from what I can tell with my limited EVO eye....or does it? Could you guys help me pick out any mods..? The stealership preaches it is bone stock yet I see "AMS" sprayed on the I/C and maybe some camber plates? aftermarket suspension? (check the color of the shock towers...gold? stock for an MR?)

One more thing, I'm hesitant to buy the MR due to the 6 spd? any worries there for what appears to be a well maintained MR?

Aside: The reason I'm going with the stealership thing is b/c I'm trying to trade in my Avalanche and motorcycle together out of convenience...sucks but I do not have the time to market my items due to pilot training.

TIA!
Old Sep 30, 2009, 07:44 PM
Evolving Member

definitely has some type of exhaust as well as a FMIC. Price is a bit high for a car with 46K on the clock. and what up with that wing? to me, it looks a bit lower than stock. the MR edition should have yellow Bilstein shocks.
Old Sep 30, 2009, 07:49 PM
Evolved Member

that front lip and rear spoiler are crap... i would stay way imo
Old Sep 30, 2009, 08:44 PM
Evolving Member

It's an evo 7 spoiler.
Old Sep 30, 2009, 09:06 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
It looks like the stock spoiler, but the CF was painted over white. No bilstein shocks, which should be a red flag. Those shocks are beasts and no way all four should have gone out unless pounded on. That is a little pricey for a car with 46,xxx on it, especially one that has been modded. Know anything about the previous owner? Take a look under the hood and see if the back of the rad is messed up at all, if it is someone spent some time switching things back to stock for the sale to this dealer. Also, an FMIC is a totally random upgrade unless it was in a stage or an addition to an intake with pipes and exhaust etc... this tells you that there was more work done before this guy got it, and chances are that those 46,xxx miles on it weren't for trips to the grocery store... get some more information on the previous owner and post back, with two also, its not like this guy can attest to the first owner and how he treated it, you know? Buying used cars is a little risky, but with 2 previous owners, you really need to take a few things apart and look at how worn she is... youll find the right one, dont jump into this one if your not completely confident, other chances will come up...

With the MR 6 speed, I really like it. Yes, they are more prone to breaking than the 5s, however this can be avoided with more frequent fluid changes and a little more pampering. This is a good news/bad news scenario for you, yes the 6 speed is nice, but they do break easy, especially if one of those previous two owners was beating on it...

Its just funny to hear that they preach that it is bone stock and obviously it isn't with the FMIC having a huge decal on it...
Old Oct 1, 2009, 08:03 AM

Thanks for the quick replies fellas. After looking further, yeah the exhaust is def aftermarket, AMS is blatantly across the front of the I/C, the front lip has a gap...?, and those shock towers definitely have some adjustability. My guess is as good as yours but it makes sense that someone could have easily had a 35R on this car with minimal tuning then simply put it back to "stock" for resale.

I know nothing about the previous owners, just that there are 2.

Here's the other end of the deal....they offered me $21,500 for my 2005 Z71 Avalanche and my 2006 Triumph Daytona 675 combined! ouch! He said he could do $24,400 out the door...so that leaves me about -$3000 not to include tax, tag, and title.

Thanks for the input...I'm gonna hold off and wait on the right one to come around!
Old Oct 1, 2009, 08:29 AM

Good call on waiting. It looks like a nice car but i think that it has been beat up.
Old Oct 1, 2009, 08:33 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Looks like its very clean to me... The price is not bad either and if thats a real ams intercooler then they didnt cheap out on the parts but it does have some damage..

Last edited by Brsox10288; Oct 1, 2009 at 09:37 AM.
Old Oct 1, 2009, 08:42 AM
Evolved Member

Received 39 Likes on 36 Posts
Hi. Car looks nice! Those are aftermarket camber plates for sure and NO they did not come with an MR. I own a 2006 Evo IX MR bought new. It now has 52K on it with mods (see my sig. below). Shifting is not a problem in regards to the trans.! The interior of this car also looks good. I was looking at the driver's seat it it barely looks worn. Car over all looks real good! Best of luck with your decision! MR's are GREAT!
Old Oct 1, 2009, 08:50 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yah beat up for sure. The lip is ****ing broken in half, which is why it sits like that, so he hit a driveway or something else really hard with that lip.
Old Oct 1, 2009, 09:20 AM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by borievoinitialD
that front lip and rear spoiler are crap... i would stay way imo
yep i agree 100% wit u
Old Oct 1, 2009, 09:29 AM
Evolved Member

Location: South Beach, FL / Miami, FL / Pt. St. Lucie, FL / NYC
I wouldn't trade anything for it. And 25k is too much for that with 45k miles. The front lip is split from the front bumper. I wouldn't do it
Old Oct 1, 2009, 02:23 PM

Well I think the people have spoken...9/10 of you guys are saying to hold off.

The problem with finding a nice Evo is that most 05-06 are in the 50,000 mile range and typically have a few mods on them. It's tough to find one that is near stock and <50,000 miles. I'll have to be patient.

If this car were, indeed, completely stock is $25,000 still pretty steep for 45,000 miles?
Old Oct 1, 2009, 02:46 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Perfourmance
If this car were, indeed, completely stock is $25,000 still pretty steep for 45,000 miles?
I've seen `03 VIII's with only 15-20k miles on them. I think the price would be okay at 35k miles or less.

For me the key thing is that cars are tough to sell with more than 100k miles on them, so in my mind they are worthless at that amount of mileage (unless I were planning to keep it forever). When you start at 45k then unless you drive low annual mileage it doesn't give you many years to decide whether or not to unload it.

There's also the matter of a lot of stuff going wrong on cars in that 60k mile range...every car that I've had took various craps around there (brakes, struts, shocks, timing belts, etc)...think about maintenance costs when buying a used car.

Last edited by mlomker; Oct 1, 2009 at 02:49 PM.
Old Oct 1, 2009, 03:14 PM
Evolved Member

I think that is high and know you could find a better deal a little out of your range (like CA). There are also people on that have really nice cars for good money. Here is today's special: link