Notices
EvoM New Member / FAQs / EvoM Rules New member? Come on in, introduce yourself, and get acquainted with the evolutionm.net posse :) FAQs will also be answered in here.

2003 Evo 8 Salvage Value Opinions Please help

Search this Thread

Old Oct 8, 2009, 07:50 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 Evo 8 Salvage Value Opinions Please help

I have been on here for a while looking to buy an evo, I have not come across one I was happy with until yesterday but there is a catch. It is a 2003 RR Evo 8 5 speed with 35k miles. The car looks like it is brand new in the showroom. The car has no mods with the exception of an air filter. Everything is in mint condition.

Now here's the catch, the car has a Pennsylvania reconstructed title. I am in new york and in order to register and title the car I have to go through the salvage inspection process. Is anybody familiar with this?

Also I can get the car for 12k maybe less, what should I want to pay for something like this? And is it worth the hassle? Help is greatly appreciated as I will purchase the car tomorrow for the right price/and if things work out.

Thanks-
Chris
Old Oct 8, 2009, 08:01 AM
Evolving Member

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by cjelley
I have been on here for a while looking to buy an evo, I have not come across one I was happy with until yesterday but there is a catch. It is a 2003 RR Evo 8 5 speed with 35k miles. The car looks like it is brand new in the showroom. The car has no mods with the exception of an air filter. Everything is in mint condition.

Now here's the catch, the car has a Pennsylvania reconstructed title. I am in new york and in order to register and title the car I have to go through the salvage inspection process. Is anybody familiar with this?

Also I can get the car for 12k maybe less, what should I want to pay for something like this? And is it worth the hassle? Help is greatly appreciated as I will purchase the car tomorrow for the right price/and if things work out.

Thanks-
Chris
All a salvage title car is good for is the track. Offer him 8k, why pay 12k for salvage trash when you could find a clean evo for 14k. I would just wait because too many bums trying to sell these car for crazy prices nowadays.
Old Oct 8, 2009, 08:06 AM
Evolving Member

Ive seen some salvage cars even evos that are nicer than ones that are not. My friend bought his all wrecked in the front and fixed it and You could never tell the difference unless you see the title. I think you should try to get him down some but think of all the money your saving for buying faster parts.lol Mine actually came with a title like that when I brought it here to pa but it was not wrecked
Old Oct 8, 2009, 08:07 AM

it has a reconstructed title from pa, I believe that I can get it titled in ny by getting a salvage car exam which is where they check for stolen parts.

Keep it coming with what you guys think the car is worth. Once I get all this put together I will talk to the guy and show him the thread even.

bump
Old Oct 8, 2009, 08:19 AM
Evolving Member

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Dont pay 12k for the car period. 10k the most, alotta guy get these car all wrecked and fix them cheap and try to sell high. If you want an evo then find your own wrecked evo and fix it yourself because then you know its been fixed right. Looks can be deceiving what looks good on the outside usually isnt always good. I call those types of cars sugar coated ****.
Old Oct 8, 2009, 08:32 AM

I was thinking about putting in a new offer of 9500 considering that I cannot go right to dmv and register the car. Is anybody familiar with the process of ny salvage inspection?
Old Oct 8, 2009, 10:01 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
quit being lazy and call ny dmv and get your answer about salvage laws and titles. I would never buy a salvage evo for sure unless i bought it wrecked and i did the work to fix it. its going to be darn hard to sell that thing even if you put mods on the car. i saw a guy with a fully built evo 2.3 shortblock and all big turbo sell his car for 12k thats all he could get for it. lol the mods cost more then that get the picture. be better to get a clear titled one.
Old Oct 8, 2009, 12:08 PM
LRD

I'm going to have to agree by what everyone else has said, 12k is a little high for a salvaged title. I'd also second the 10k max. If your buying this from a dealership have them help you with the process of getting the new title in NY, they should be able to point you in the right direction and answer your questions.
Old Oct 8, 2009, 02:06 PM
Account Disabled

take it from someone that has cut up 5 evos in the last three mounts for parts, these cars are not cheap even after they are wrecked, and totaled! in my option wrecked cars, are a better bang for your buck, depending on whether you want a perfect car that you only drive on weekends, or if you plan on modding it heavily, if you plan on making this car some ***** to the walls speed machine, then that is one thing salvage title doesn't matter. becuase lets face it if you take a 39k evo mr and mod the hell out of it, then turn around and try to sell it not very many people are going to want it, they look at it as you beat on it, you mod the heck out of it, and the car is far from factory. Also depends where the car was hit, and how it was fixed, insurance companies total a lot of cars, that have no business being totaled, so really just depends. However I cant say I would give 12 grand for a wrecked 03, However if it where like an 05-06 i could see that.
Old Oct 8, 2009, 02:15 PM
Evolving Member

Good luck getting full covereage insurance too! Most insurance companies won't pay to fix a previously salvaged car!
Old Oct 8, 2009, 02:26 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Offer him the 9, if he says no than say 10k max. Too many problems could be hiding, if you do really want it, go take it on a really tough test drive and see what you think. +1 the dealer should be able to help you out with the details on the salvage issues in the state of New York. Also, that was a really good suggestion to call the insurance company about coverage, so tell the dealer, look, your not taking into account the reregistration fees and the heightened insurance rates when I buy this, so 12k is way too much to spend...
Old Oct 8, 2009, 02:35 PM

In NY The evo will have to go through inspection I belive its about $250 for the inspection and you have to wait about month for your appointment to come in..Also for those of you guys saying salvaged title cars are worthless have no clue. I deal with stuff like this alot sometimes NY will put a salvage status on a car for dumb reason like a theft recovery or a minor fender bender or even repo cars, salvaged does not always mean the car has been in a accident.

Also most of the time people think that clean title cars have an actual clean history..I work in this industry you'd be surprised at how grimey some **** is. Sometimes its even better to have a car with a "rebuilt" title cause you know what happend to it.

Last edited by hks-gst; Oct 8, 2009 at 02:38 PM.
Old Oct 8, 2009, 02:47 PM
Evolved Member

If it has a reconstructed title that means it has already gone through the inspection and passed so it will not need it again when you transfer the title.
It is worth 12k if done properly, Find out what the previous damage was and go from there.
Old Oct 8, 2009, 06:14 PM

I personally would stay away from salvaged cars.

1. Many hidden problems
2. Might be hard to resale in the future
3. My first car was salvaged due to theft, but as time progressed, I learned that it had been in a major front end accident. So make sure the seller isn't trying to cheat you.
4. Check VINS
5. And I'm not kidding about hidden problems, they will eventually unravel, you'll find missing things here, missing buttons/wires there. etc.

I know a lot will differ from what I say, but that's fine, and it ultimately comes down to you anyways.
Old Oct 9, 2009, 04:58 AM

Thanks for all the help. I decided what I am going to do/learned the process of registering. If anybody is interested heres what you have to do:

1. Go to dmv with PA Reconstructed title and pay taxes
2. Schedule for a salvage exam (Where they basically check for stolen parts) $205
3. If your car passes you will get your rebuilt title within 15 days (Now the car is able to be registered in nys)
4. Register the car/Get inspection then you're good to go.

I put in an offer for 10k on the car, the guy said he will think about it over the weekend. Ill let everyone know what happens

-Chris

Quick Reply: 2003 Evo 8 Salvage Value Opinions Please help