Notices
EvoM New Member / FAQs / EvoM Rules New member? Come on in, introduce yourself, and get acquainted with the evolutionm.net posse :) FAQs will also be answered in here.

Proud owner of an Evo VIII!

Search this Thread

Old Oct 9, 2009, 01:51 PM
Evolving Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
congrats on the car... and welcome home! thanks for everything you boys are doing over there
Old Oct 9, 2009, 02:51 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
welcome to the site... clean 8
Old Oct 9, 2009, 03:50 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by chu
Great place to start. Also, you may want to learn as much about history of the car before anything. Too many members come on here with problematic cars only after a week. My advice, have your OBD scanned for any codes, becasue I've known quite a few who have had CELs bulbs that were pulled as if there were no problems. 2, fidn someone with a Tactrix cable and look at the ecu. Some of the locals in my area found their cars had been highly modded, then return to stock and sold as if OEM. However, the fuel maps look like it was made for a huge turbo. Not to scare you or anything, but its good measure. BUt the car looks great otherwise! Good Luck
damni never thought about all that when i bought my ix almost 2 yrs ago. good advice
Old Oct 9, 2009, 05:02 PM

I'm assuming that when the dealer does an inspection they run the ECU as well correct?
Old Oct 9, 2009, 05:05 PM
chu
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Even dealers have been know to pull the bulbs, but I won't name any.
Old Oct 9, 2009, 05:13 PM

I did not buy it from a Mitsu dealer (obvious by the pics), but I did take it to Brien Mitsubishi in Everett, WA and had them do the inspection.
Old Oct 10, 2009, 06:19 AM
chu
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You should be fine then if they did not warn you about any OBD2 codes. But still make sure the ECU doesn't have some crazy map. Like I said, I dont want to scare you, but it's good precautionary stuff.
Old Oct 10, 2009, 09:15 AM

Not scarin me, glad someone told me. I have heard of this happening alot with STI's and Evo's. Last thing I want is to need a new engine.... *shudder*

Went through with a few mods to start off-
Kartboy Shift Bushings (special at RallySportDirect.com)
WORKS Short Shifter
WORKS Drop-in Fillter
NGK One-Step Colder Plugs
GTSPEC Single Guarge pod
AEM BOOST Guage (as it did not come with one, and this is something I want to keep my eye on).

The Bushings, shifter, and filter will be done by myself, but I will have the dealer wire up the Guage (electronics and me dont mix... zap myself on to many military vehicles) and the plugs.

Last edited by Virgil072; Oct 10, 2009 at 10:33 PM.
Old Oct 11, 2009, 07:19 AM

I have to get the same checks done to this Evo VIII im looking at buying when I get back to the states from deployment next month. The car looks pretty good tho. I'm not bold enough to get a white car. Lol. Good luck with the car and have fun driving it when you get back to the states.
Old Oct 11, 2009, 10:38 AM

Nice ww is one of my fav's. I just got my new job with clear-wire working on sprint's cell towers making good money. Ill be looking for a 9 in DEC or around tax time.
Old Oct 11, 2009, 10:46 AM
Evolved Member

very nice, our cars are so similar but mine is an RS

nice pick up
Old Oct 11, 2009, 03:02 PM

RS is quite the rare car to find to for sale at a dealer, I havent seen a single one in over 6 months of browseing. 5 of those months I wasnt looking to hard however...

Thanks for all the input guys 1_VIOLENT_EVO, stay safe dude, keep your head down and get back.
Old Oct 11, 2009, 05:13 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Here you go....

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...-100-time.html

As for maintenance, there's nothing that you can't do in your garage. Sending it to the dealership will put your wallet back way more than you need to. Flush all the fluids, spark plugs, belt, etc. There are how-to's for all of these things on this website.

Thanks for your service to this country and congrats on picking up an evo
Old Oct 12, 2009, 03:01 AM

Originally Posted by Virgil072
RS is quite the rare car to find to for sale at a dealer, I havent seen a single one in over 6 months of browseing. 5 of those months I wasnt looking to hard however...

Thanks for all the input guys 1_VIOLENT_EVO, stay safe dude, keep your head down and get back.
thanks man. i was broke for soooo long and before i got married two years i had to sell my very clean gst. I mean soo clean the first owner had this thing at the dealer for everything and i still get paper work from him that he finds from time to time. We need the money for the wedding and i have been without a car for two years. Now with the new job i am going to big and better things . Sorry for thread jackin.
Old Oct 12, 2009, 03:27 AM

congrats Happy modding

Quick Reply: Proud owner of an Evo VIII!