Notices
EvoM New Member / FAQs / EvoM Rules New member? Come on in, introduce yourself, and get acquainted with the evolutionm.net posse :) FAQs will also be answered in here.

Possibly trading my Z for an Evo 8

Search this Thread

Old Oct 12, 2009, 02:44 AM
Account Disabled

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Find another evo with lower miles, back in 05 I originally traded my 350z for a new mr, I never looked back or felt any remorse.
Try to get a 04 at least instead of an 03.
Old Oct 12, 2009, 01:18 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Seller is full of it if he tells you it is stock intake and blow off valve. Evos have diverter valves not blow off valves, and That is not the stock intake box. If he lies about these things he is probably lying about other bigger stuff as well. Have it checked out well by an outside party and trust nothing he says.
Old Oct 12, 2009, 09:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well looked at the car today. Spent the whole day getting to know the guy and the car. I left it at my Uncle's shop. He's going to open it up and see what's going on. The car makes this obscene amount of noise at idle and the mechanic can't pinpoint it with the stethoscope because the noise is too loud.

He's thinking it could be the tensioner, bearing, or timing belt. The exhaust is also fried where the flex pipe is from rust.

Aside from that noise (goes away when speed picks up, weird) the car drives fine, turbo spools up nicely, and the tranny shifts smoothly. However when I drove it in first I did hear a small whine and instantly thought of the transfer case. However we can't really say anything yet until we get that noisy engine fixed.

The heater also doesn't work for some reason. Getting that checked out as well. Is the heater control thing suppose to have resistance? Seems to be resisting whenever I try to turn it to the heat end.

Will report back to you guys in a day or two.
Old Oct 12, 2009, 10:33 PM

i would try to find one with lower milage
Old Oct 15, 2009, 09:26 AM

all models are fine, as long as they're in good shape and low milage. there are many 03s with no problem at all. good luck finding one.
Old Oct 15, 2009, 10:44 AM
Evolving Member

Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by Sixth_Vang
Well looked at the car today. Spent the whole day getting to know the guy and the car. I left it at my Uncle's shop. He's going to open it up and see what's going on. The car makes this obscene amount of noise at idle and the mechanic can't pinpoint it with the stethoscope because the noise is too loud.

He's thinking it could be the tensioner, bearing, or timing belt. The exhaust is also fried where the flex pipe is from rust.

Aside from that noise (goes away when speed picks up, weird) the car drives fine, turbo spools up nicely, and the tranny shifts smoothly. However when I drove it in first I did hear a small whine and instantly thought of the transfer case. However we can't really say anything yet until we get that noisy engine fixed.

The heater also doesn't work for some reason. Getting that checked out as well. Is the heater control thing suppose to have resistance? Seems to be resisting whenever I try to turn it to the heat end.

Will report back to you guys in a day or two.
There is/was a TSB to fix the heater control. Its typical of 03's to be hard to turn and they redesigned it to make it work easier, just have to take it to the dealership.

If it only whines in first then its not the TC as that wouldn't be gear dependent. Mine whines in first, its pretty common, no ill effects yet.

Still, unless its a really good deal and you can find out what that other noise vibration thing is I'd pass.
Old Oct 15, 2009, 10:55 AM
Evolved Member

+1 pass
Old Oct 16, 2009, 08:51 PM
Evolving Member

sold my z for an evo and loved it for the 3 months ive had it.. but if the seller lied about one thing i wouldnt trust him
Old Oct 16, 2009, 10:06 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
my car whines to i thinks it almost all evos and if ur uncle so go for it then congrats on ur new evo
Old Oct 17, 2009, 08:42 AM

big step from Z to evo. i went from a G to a evo recently and i love it!
Old Oct 17, 2009, 08:55 AM
Evolved Member

the whining is normal all evos do it at first gear until they pick up speed an yes the whining noise is from your t-case but its normal...the car seems stock from the pic and the intake would never hurt anyone so i wouldnt worry much about that....as for the noise the car does have some miles on it so expected it to act up a bit, but if your Z has a salvage i would def trade just because salvage titles on sports cars is a big headache trust me i know it, i had a few and barely got rid of the cars...other than that good luck
Old Oct 17, 2009, 05:44 PM

That thing looks sick
Old Oct 17, 2009, 06:53 PM

Thanks guys, but i ended up with the Evo. The Z, i miss the aesthetics but the fact that it's salvage makes it worth absolutely next to nothing. From a distance it looked great but up close all the body lines were misaligned.

Yes the car only whines in first, thank god. Other then that the heater issue and clear coat fading, seems to be a common mitsu problem, are the only other things wrong with it.

Could use an alignment too, but that'll be done on Monday.

GOD I LOVE BOOST!
Old Oct 17, 2009, 06:55 PM
Evolving Member

we need lots of pics now lol
Old Oct 25, 2009, 05:13 PM
Evolving Member

I went from a red 03 touring 350Z to an Evo IX...the Z is nice but u will never make power w/o FI..the Zs are jus too expensive to make fast...the Evo on the other hand is so EASY to make fast..SWITCH!!! u will b so much happier!!!

Quick Reply: Possibly trading my Z for an Evo 8