Notices
EvoM New Member / FAQs / EvoM Rules New member? Come on in, introduce yourself, and get acquainted with the evolutionm.net posse :) FAQs will also be answered in here.

Possibly trading my Z for an Evo 8

Search this Thread

Old Oct 10, 2009, 04:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Possibly trading my Z for an Evo 8

Hello all,

New to the evolution forums but not new to forums and vehicles in general. I am possibly trading my 03 z for an 03 Evolution. There are 125,000 miles on the Evo 8 and according to the guy all he's done is oil changes -_-

I've owned NA vehicles all of my life but even I know that boosted vehicles require much more attention. I'm going to go look at the car this Monday and also to have a shop inspect it thoroughly. From what i've gathered these are the things that are wrong with it

- 0-30 mph or 1rst to 2nd the car seems to have a rumbling issue. The steering wheel shakes as well but he claims that as soon as he picks up speed or shifts into third the rumbling goes away. He thinks it may be the serpentine belt but I doubt it

-The sunroof is off track. He claims that you can hear the motor running but the sunroof doesn't pull back unless you position it.

-He claims stock but I can clearly see the HKS intake. Anything else you guys could point out? He also says that there is a stock bov, but I don't recall a stock bov when I test drove a 9MR at dealership.

Any words of advice ladies and gentlemen? Things I should look for? He doesn't have an issue with me getting it fully inspected but who knows.

p.s.

Can anyone tell me where I could get these "Lancer Evolution" badges (I think they're 9 badges)?

Last edited by Sixth_Vang; Oct 10, 2009 at 04:48 PM.
Old Oct 10, 2009, 04:31 PM
Evolving Member

from what i can see the bov looks like a stock one everything looks good just get it checked out and if everything is ok pick it up
Old Oct 10, 2009, 04:34 PM
Evolving Member

if there is a rumble at low speeds. try reving it in nutral to see if it still rumbles if so it might be the balance shafts. which can be catastrphic if left alone but you can elimate them most people do.
Old Oct 10, 2009, 04:37 PM

Ah, you guy are so helpful thanks! Keep the advice commin'
Old Oct 10, 2009, 05:43 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Check the clutch.I just bought one with 60,000 and the clutch was slipping.
Old Oct 10, 2009, 05:53 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
just make sure it was taken care of. Check to see of all the maint. was done correctly at the specified amount of miles. Check for clutch issues and tranny issues. Have who ever is selling the car give you a free car fax to ensure the car was not in any wrecks or anything along those lines. Motor looks like it hasnt really been touched other then the hks intake. It looks like the stock uicp couplings have a wear on it, make sure there arent any holes. If it does its an easy and cheap fix. Other then that, if you do decide to get it, you will love the car.
Old Oct 10, 2009, 06:05 PM
Evolving Member

www.lancershop.com
http://www.machevo.com/baandde.html
google with be ur best friend

Last edited by Jarrett 03; Oct 10, 2009 at 06:08 PM.
Old Oct 10, 2009, 06:11 PM
Evolved Member

Stock BOV, That is ALOT of miles for an evo. If i were you go spend a little extra cash and buy one with 50-60K. You can find them for 14 or 15K. G/L!
Old Oct 10, 2009, 06:15 PM
Evolving Member

how many miles are on ur 350z? give us more details on the deal. like is it straight up? whats done to ur car?
Old Oct 10, 2009, 06:51 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
if you're good at maintenance, it shouldn't be too bad. it does sound beat to shyte though. it may need more attention than you are ready for. i've bought high mileage turbo cars before but they've been maintained reletively well. test drives were good with no drivability issues. i would be leary of the deal unless you have money to throw at it. the next thread will read "OMG the clutch went out and the tranmission and transfer case are cheapass mitsu crap". which is totally wrong. the reason there are problems with these cars are cause they are beat to shyte.
Old Oct 10, 2009, 08:18 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by fast2go
Check the clutch.I just bought one with 60,000 and the clutch was slipping.
wait did you buy your evo from LA, cause if thats it in your avatar then i tested it out before you bought it, but im not sure
Old Oct 10, 2009, 08:51 PM

Looks to be stock from what I can tell but yeah thats def an aftermarket intake. But as mentioned before you might have it checked out at a local shop.
Old Oct 10, 2009, 09:06 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
When I bought my car, the radiator has very large stop leak holes and had to be replaced. Also, I could tell my turbo was replaced because it looked too new to be over 100k miles. Guessing the previous turbo blew and that's why the radiator had holes.

125k miles is a lot on a turbo. See if it still spools up fine. These turbos spool up in no time so if you get turbo lag in first gear at 2k RPM or higher, then the turbo is about gone.

125k miles is also a lot. That's about 20800 miles a year! Most likely it's all highway miles. It would be very hard to drive that much in just the city. Ask him if he did the second 60k mile service yet. If not, ask him for money for a trade.
Old Oct 11, 2009, 06:59 AM

Well, I would keep the Z but the thing is that the title is Salvage and the Evo's is clean. I have no problem keeping the Z though if the Evo ends up needing too much work because i've maintained my car very well and it's been good to me. There are 70k miles on the Z and it has a light mods all around (suspension, bolt ons, exterior). He wants to do a straight up trade but i'd probably part out some as I expect some to do the 80/100k maintenance.

I'm just glad I have a relative in the import tuning business, he should be able to tell me if the car is ok. I hope the car is good though, i'd love to have an Evo.
Old Oct 11, 2009, 07:00 AM

Originally Posted by Jarrett 03
Thanks so much!

Quick Reply: Possibly trading my Z for an Evo 8