Notices
EvoM New Member / FAQs / EvoM Rules New member? Come on in, introduce yourself, and get acquainted with the evolutionm.net posse :) FAQs will also be answered in here.

lose power

Search this Thread

Old Oct 25, 2009, 10:55 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
take it to a shop instead of stressing about it!
Old Oct 25, 2009, 10:58 PM
Evolved Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by mjones89
i replaced the spark plugs about a month and a half ago and gapped them at .032 (thats what the mitsu dealership said to gap them at) i thought that might have been it but still continues. i dont have a boost guage and i dont kno how to manually turn it down so i dont kno what it is set at
That is way too big of a gap me-thinks.
Old Oct 30, 2009, 02:05 PM

so last monday i regapped the spark plugs to .024 and took it for a little test drive, right off the bat got it up to 6500 in first and second man was i happy, so i decided to take it on the freeway to test third and fourth, turned jonto the on ramp popped it into second and at about 4500 rpms i heard a vacuum noise and lost all my power. i was PISSED. had my father in law tow me home. stressed all night monday, looked at it tuesday after work couldn't find any detached hoses. wednesday at work i talked to a buddy of mine that has an 09 cobalt ss with the turbo. he said that happened to him and it was somethin to do with his intercooler, so when i got home wednesday night i looked at my uicp and licp and come to find out that my licp popped out of the housing boot, put it back in and it runs great, but the housing boot seems about two inches too short cuz the licp only goes into it about a half an inch so the clamp is right on the end of the pipe so i gotta get a new one. planning on doing that tonight then im gonna push it and see if that fixed my problem. i think that when i would get up to those rpms the pressure was too much for the clam and it would release and then close again and thats where the bog came from.....hopefully
Old Oct 30, 2009, 02:45 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by mjones89
..... had my father in law tow me home.....
Please please tell me he towed with all 4 wheels off the ground?! With an all wheel drive car you have to be very very carefull how you tow it, or you could be looking at drivetrain issues as well. But beyond that, I still would either log the car and see what it's doing, or get it into someone who can, because it's hard to say how it's tuned. With that heavy of unknown mods you really need to make sure it's set up correctly or you could be looking into much much more expensive fixes.
Old Oct 30, 2009, 02:50 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Yes, hopefully he had a flatbed tow truck. That goes without saying I would think when it comes to an AWD car.. I am glad to hear the plugs fixed your problem, but how could the gap change that much when you just swapped them out you said? Oh well, did you ever resolve the burning oil issue? Fixing the problem to get the car to go to high RPMs and drive faster and harder is one thing, but if you still have the problem with an oil or headgasket problem, throwing more boost and RPMs at it will only make it worse. I am glad you fixed it, but you might not be out of the woods yet..
Old Oct 31, 2009, 03:04 PM

i lust kept the car on and had it in nuetral with a tow strap. i am going to get multiple gauges in about three weeks so i can watch everything that happens.

the gap in the spark plugs never changed when driving it, i pulled them and regapped them.

also i am going to look into getting a compression test done jus dont kno exactly when i will be able to....hopefully in a couple weeks also.

i have an access port and i hooked it up to check for any existing codes and it told me i was running rich (which i knew) but it said bank 1 in parrenthesis, anyone kno what that means?
Old Oct 31, 2009, 07:27 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
was there a specific DTC code? or it just said bank 1? You had all 4 on the ground, or just the back two? You should ALWAYS use a flatbed tow truck, much better to pay a little and be cautious than risk blowing the rear diff or t case...
Old Nov 3, 2009, 02:10 PM

Originally Posted by buchnerj
was there a specific DTC code? or it just said bank 1? You had all 4 on the ground, or just the back two? You should ALWAYS use a flatbed tow truck, much better to pay a little and be cautious than risk blowing the rear diff or t case...
i think there was i'll run it again and see what it is, i had all four wheels on the ground so it was basically like getting up to speed and putting it in nuetral and coasting