Notices
EvoM New Member / FAQs / EvoM Rules New member? Come on in, introduce yourself, and get acquainted with the evolutionm.net posse :) FAQs will also be answered in here.

Quick EvoIX advice...

Search this Thread

Old Nov 4, 2009, 09:59 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Quick EvoIX advice...

Hey guys...

I've been on the fence about getting a used EvoIX vs a new EvoX. Obviously I'd prefer to buy new...but the IX is still tempting if the right deal came along...

Looked at an '06 GSR tonight that was in really nice condition. 20K miles, only mod was cat-back exhaust and turbo-timer. Engine bay was fully intact, looked to have never been touched...warranty still intact to 60,000 miles. Seats, spoiler, etc were all in great condition, no fading or signs of use...

Normally I wouldn't go look at a car that had two previous owners...but this one was close by so it was worth it. Took it for a spin and it seemed to boost fine and was very quick. The 5-speed trans was a bit notchy...but I know thats to be expected. Clutch felt "ok"...

The only thing that worries me is a slight noise while driving. I can only assume its the exhaust (maybe not a perfect fit, rubbing, not tightened). But, I would hope its not the transmission. Almost like a low mechanical rumble...

The current owner seemed very honest, but during his ownership (14-20K) has not done a trans fluid flush. Would a trans be audible if the viscosity of the oil is breaking down? (I realize with an awd car there is drivetrain noise to be expected)..

So...
- Is there any way to tell if a trans is on its last leg? ( I would hope this isn't the case...drove fine otherwise)
- Lets assume the worst, how much would a trans replacement cost?

Thanks!
Old Nov 4, 2009, 10:36 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It doesn't sound like the car is on it's way out. 2 owners with only 20k miles is odd but who knows. The Evo makes all kinds of sounds that appear to be death-bed things but aren't. My best advice is to find a local Evo dude to take a test drive with you. Where in CA are you?

And what price are you looking at? An 06 Evo 9 is def better than an earlier Evo 8 but that depends on the price. And if you're gonna mod.

Worst case...figure $1k for a used tranny + a few hundred for install.
Old Nov 4, 2009, 10:49 PM

Thanks dude. I'm in Santa Monica...

To be honest the only modifications I would do is drop-in filter and a tune at HB Speed or another tuner. Would just love a fun and reliable DD...

Price wise...this one is a little too high. But maybe he'll come down...looking to spend low 20's...
Old Nov 4, 2009, 11:23 PM

Also...another quick question...

Would the vortex roof piece ever come stock on a GSR? This had it...but to my knowledge it did not come on GSR's or RS's...

Thanks!
Old Nov 5, 2009, 04:36 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Coppi5151
Would the vortex roof piece ever come stock on a GSR? This had it...but to my knowledge it did not come on GSR's or RS's...
Thanks!
No. It's a popular part to upgrade though, he probably put it on.

Just because it's had 2 owners doesn't mean anything bad. Sure, it's more to think about. Like why it's gone through 2 people in 20k miles, but just look over the car carefully, sounds like you're informed enough to make a solid decision about it.