Notices
EvoM New Member / FAQs / EvoM Rules New member? Come on in, introduce yourself, and get acquainted with the evolutionm.net posse :) FAQs will also be answered in here.

About to buy an '06 MR... a few questions first...

Search this Thread

Old Nov 10, 2009, 08:34 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by UD Kingo
Heres an update:

I showed the guy that looked at the car this post I made with all of your responses. How does this sound based on his reply?

"The car’s definitely been driven hard. But it appears to have been kept up pretty well. The wheels aren’t bent so it doesn’t look like it has been “curbed” or anything. The wheels just look like they might have rubbed on something at some point. The clutch will most definitely have to be replaced and that is only under factory warranty for 12k. The clunk from under the vehicle was from the carrier bearing, the set up is kinda lame. It’s a bearing with rubber around it, on the outside of the rubber is a steel housing. The weight of the driveshaft has compressed the rubber and made for a good deal of play in that assembly. The right rear wheel bearing is humming at highway speeds and the play could most definitely cause a vibration. As for the ABS light flashing randomly….. There was a guy that asked if it was raining, it was cool and dry. Sometimes ECM’s have to “prove out” (as some people say). Basically what I mean by this is when the vehicle first starts up it’s not unheard of that an MIL will stay on for a few seconds while the ECM does a self check. That was not the case with this car, the light just started flashing randomly while maintaining 60-65mph on the highway. The fact that there is no codes makes me wonder. I checked for TSBs and there isn’t any. Worst case is that it will need an ABS Control Module which should still be under warranty. I would tell him to take the car to Mitsubishi to fix the ABS light, wheel bearing, and carrier bearing. Other than that you’ve got a nice car. A clutch is a wearable item and you should expect to have to replace, especially on a performance vehicle that is driven harder.

I hope that this helped.

-JS"

I can say a clutch is deffnatly not under any warrenty. It is considered wear and tear, just liek your tires.(Double check with that) ABS light is not normal no matter what, try searcing around, can't find any threads on it flashing like that. Like i said unless you are getting a deal of a lifetime stay away. Plus from the way i think i heard it your are going to like a curbside dealer and not a legit Mitsu dealer? Bad decision. Just my .02

If you have to travel a little farther to look at a car do so.
Old Nov 10, 2009, 09:23 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well its not my money.. Good luck
Old Nov 10, 2009, 09:33 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
run like hell
Old Nov 10, 2009, 09:41 AM
EvoM Community Team

Received 62 Likes on 59 Posts
DON'T BUY IT!!!! Please don't buy it. It is the worst buying an evo that has been beaten up and repairing it back to normal. I got mine, found out two weeks later the transfer case and transmission needed to be rebuilt. $$$. Then other random things happened (needed new a-arm bushing), New intercooler, differential services, new lifters. It adds up fast.

Just pass, find another one that has been taken care of. They are out there. Don't let your eyes fool you, that car has been through hell and will definitely cost you a chunk of change.

BTW, on average it's about $1.2k to replace the clutch with a decent one.
Old Nov 10, 2009, 10:18 AM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Simple, already many members vote for "pass" but seems like you still interested in. Hope you read enough reasons "why you should pass" and take that seriously. Buy or not is your choice, good luck.
Old Nov 10, 2009, 11:23 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
after the OPs last post, I would reiterate my previous statement on the first page. This car has been beat and the seller/dealership will do anything to move the vehicle. RUN, don't walk away from this car. These cars can be money pits as is, no need to add on top of that a beat on car.