Notices
EvoM New Member / FAQs / EvoM Rules New member? Come on in, introduce yourself, and get acquainted with the evolutionm.net posse :) FAQs will also be answered in here.

About to buy an '06 MR... a few questions first...

Search this Thread

Old Nov 9, 2009, 08:06 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post About to buy an '06 MR... a few questions first...

I just had the car checked out but a mechanic and this is what he said. Can you guys let me know if you have had any of these problems, and if so, how bad it is to fix them?

Here is word for word what he wrote:

"Work Performed - Road tested the vehicle, found that the clutch grabs very high, The ABS light flashes randomly, there is a banging from the center of the vehicle when shifted from 2nd to 3rd under a load, brakes are squealing, and there is a slight vibration at highway speeds. Visually inspected and found that the coolant is low, brake fluid level is low, RR wheel bearing has play, RR rim scratched, Driveshaft center support has play, no reverse lights, LF wheel scratched. Scanned for codes, no DTCs in any modules. Road tested the vehicle again to monitor the ABS due to the light flashing. No DTCs and all sensors are operating properly. The light goes off on its own."

So heres the issues, now what should I expect?
  • Do all Evos clutches grab high, or is this the norm... I dont care, but want to make sure its not because something is wrong.
  • ABS light flashing?
  • Drive shaft issue... 2nd to 3rd bang? Says it looks like a mitsubishi design flaw?
  • Brakes are brakes, but doesnt "glossy" generally mean the have been rapidly hot and then cooled.
  • Vibration I just assume is in need of a balance.
  • Wheel bearing?
  • Reverse lights...? just a fuse you think... or more?
Thanks in advance everyone!
Old Nov 9, 2009, 08:27 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by UD Kingo
So heres the issues, now what should I expect?
  • Do all Evos clutches grab high, or is this the norm... I dont care, but want to make sure its not because something is wrong.
    • If clutch grabs high it can mean that it's getting close to the end of its life.
  • ABS light flashing?
    • Not normal at all
  • Drive shaft issue... 2nd to 3rd bang? Says it looks like a mitsubishi design flaw?
    • Not sure? Never heard of that before.
  • Brakes are brakes, but doesnt "glossy" generally mean the have been rapidly hot and then cooled.
    • Our brakes squeek a lot. I'm sure they have been used hard. It's a evo most likley it was driven hard just like anyone else would do lol
  • Wheel bearing?
    • How much play? Are there any noises that apear to be present?
  • Reverse lights...? just a fuse you think... or more?
    • Check yourself for a fuse. But it can be more.
If all the fluids were low. Might not be the best car for you. I would pass on it sounds like it will become a money pit when you buy it. lol Good Luck
Thanks in advance everyone!
Believe me I have been down that road.
What's the price and how many miles?

Last edited by eXtreme-Speed; Nov 9, 2009 at 08:30 AM.
Old Nov 9, 2009, 08:36 AM

Just wanted to mention that it is still under warranty too... so obviously many things arent covered, but the big ones are.

Mileage: 31,500
Price: Asking $22k I know I can get 21k.
Old Nov 9, 2009, 08:39 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by UD Kingo
Just wanted to mention that it is still under warranty too... so obviously many things arent covered, but the big ones are.

Mileage: 31,500
Price: Asking $22k I know I can get 21k.
PASS. I bought my 06 MR used for $22k and it had 26k miles on it and was in perfect working order. If pay $21k for yours. Now you need to figure out how much you will spend getting it back to normal. Plus with as much that is wrong with this vehicle, someone didn't take care of it which means TROUBLE!!!! Walk Away Fast
Old Nov 9, 2009, 08:40 AM
Evolving Member

Skip the money pit, IMHO. The obvious problems start here and they might have started a ripple effect, so I'd bet the not-so-obvious problems (usually expensive ones) will pop up soon.
Old Nov 9, 2009, 08:41 AM

Find something else man, and Get a Carfax report.
Old Nov 9, 2009, 08:45 AM

I dont know my evo's yet but as a technician everything points to beatin to death from pervious owner.. sounds like it needs a clutch, brakes ,tire balence ,alignment. the wheel bearing being loose? if so no growling sound or vibration driving?

abs light flashing was the guy test driving in the rain and losing traction or something?

Maybe I should just keep quite dunno.. good luck with everything.

Edit: PASS
Old Nov 9, 2009, 08:46 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by OUTRUNED
Find something else man, and Get a Carfax report.
Carfax is wrong like 90% the time.. My car was is two accidents and they weren't little fender benders either. It was almost impossible to notice untill i found the previous owner of the car. Don't Let someone sell themself to you just because it's a clean carfax. Dealerships use it just to mkae you think you are getting a better deal lol
Old Nov 9, 2009, 08:46 AM

Carfax is clean.
Old Nov 9, 2009, 08:48 AM

YEah just find something else...
Old Nov 9, 2009, 09:04 AM
Evolved Member

PASSSS!

There plenty out there!
Old Nov 9, 2009, 09:05 AM

Originally Posted by eXtreme-Speed
Carfax is wrong like 90% the time.. My car was is two accidents and they weren't little fender benders either. It was almost impossible to notice untill i found the previous owner of the car. Don't Let someone sell themself to you just because it's a clean carfax. Dealerships use it just to mkae you think you are getting a better deal lol
And Yes I have read your thread, you felt for it didn't you? How old are you btw I asked you in that in your thread. You never responded back?
Old Nov 9, 2009, 09:08 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by OUTRUNED
And Yes I have read your thread, you felt for it didn't you? How old are you btw I asked you in that in your thread. You never responded back?
17. I havn't check in a day. But yeah now i'm stuck with a car payment plus repair costs when i wanted to buy some new gifts for my car
Old Nov 9, 2009, 09:15 AM
Evolving Member

Talk them down to 21K and have them fix everything that is wrong with it. If not then no deal. Clutch seems to be going out, Driveshaft could be out of balance and has play, wheel bearing, wheels scruffed, and others? You know that Evo was abused!
Old Nov 9, 2009, 09:18 AM
Evolving Member

16,000 Deal lol