Notices
EvoM New Member / FAQs / EvoM Rules New member? Come on in, introduce yourself, and get acquainted with the evolutionm.net posse :) FAQs will also be answered in here.

What is a shep tranny?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 21, 2009, 09:03 AM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
What is a shep tranny?

Hey guys, this is probably a dumb question but I couldn't find the answer after using the search feature. I am about to get my 6-speed swapped with a 5-speed on my 2006 Evo IX MR. The new Mitsu-made 5 speed tranny will cost $2800, just for the part itself, and I would like to look into all options before pulling the trigger. I've seen the shep tranny mentioned in several places, but nobody actually explains what it is. Is it a stronger tranny than the Mitsu-built one? Is it easier / more precise to shift with? Is it cheaper? My car is modded and puts out 350whp on a good day. I am pretty happy with that, and don't plan on upping the power beyond that, so i doubt I will push the envelope on whatever tranny I put in there. My main motivation for the tranny swap is that I am tired of having to row through so many gears. So daily driveability is my main concern. Easy & short shifts also win points. Thanks in advance for your help!
Old Nov 21, 2009, 09:05 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
http://sheptrans.com/
Old Nov 21, 2009, 09:06 AM

"shep tranny" is used by refering John Shepherd racing. Probaly the best tranny builder/rebuilder for the evo/dsm. Yes its way better than stock..and check out their website for prices. Its totally worth it if you have the money.
Old Nov 21, 2009, 09:09 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Go to Sheptrans.com. The owner, Johm Shepard is quite popular in the Evo/ dsm world. Simply put, he takes your tranny and makes it shift better than it did brandnew. No, I don't have a Shep tranny but my friend has one in his 600whp dsm. Best component on his car according to him.
Guy above beat me.
Old Nov 21, 2009, 09:17 AM
Account Disabled

Search buttons are useful. Did you know that?
Old Nov 21, 2009, 09:25 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
There are a bunch of threads here on EvoM about shep transmissions. I myself had one in my 91gsx and could not have asked for anything more. It shifted perfectly no matter how you drove it and never had any problems with it at all. Definitely worth the money and sometimes cheaper than buying one brand new but with upgraded features, he lists what he upgrads on his website.
Old Nov 21, 2009, 09:35 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Old Nov 21, 2009, 02:01 PM
Evolving Member

ok, thanks a lot guys! I had done a couple of searches on these forums, and like I said before could not find an explanation of what exactly is a shep tranny. Found lots of posts about it being "better" though. Anyway, thanks for the links! Tthis looks like the way to go. I looked at their site, and it looks like they offer a stage 1 new tranny for $2850, which is only $50 more than a brand new one from the dealer, not counting $95 for shipping. Has anyone gone with this option? The description only mentions stuff that is really external to the tranny, such as new clutch fork, slave cylinder, etc. I will call them on Monday to see exactly what that option really includes, unless somebody here can tell me.
Old Nov 21, 2009, 02:06 PM
Evolved Member

I had a stage 1 transmission in my evo and the trans was pure sex.....

I also had full shifter bushings( under hood, under shifter) , stainless steel clutch line ( must have by the way) , short shifter

I couldn't miss a gear in that car even if i tried....

the trans took 500 whp all day long without any issues

SHEP TRANS FOR THE WIN
Old Nov 21, 2009, 02:06 PM
Evolved Member

I also had him to the transfer case since the trans was out, that worked out nicely as well
Old Nov 22, 2009, 07:51 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by 2003lancerevo8
I had a stage 1 transmission in my evo and the trans was pure sex.....

I also had full shifter bushings( under hood, under shifter) , stainless steel clutch line ( must have by the way) , short shifter

I couldn't miss a gear in that car even if i tried....

the trans took 500 whp all day long without any issues

SHEP TRANS FOR THE WIN
Wow, that sounds pretty sweet. Did you just get the base stage 1, or did you go for any of the optional stuff, like REM ISF ?
Old Nov 22, 2009, 08:20 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by ak47po
Ha! I was thinking of doing the same thing, but the "tranny" being a woman with man parts