Notices
EvoM New Member / FAQs / EvoM Rules New member? Come on in, introduce yourself, and get acquainted with the evolutionm.net posse :) FAQs will also be answered in here.

travel abroad for a month

Search this Thread

Old Dec 10, 2009 | 01:39 PM

Thumbs up travel abroad for a month

hi
I'm wondering it is okay for evo to stay outside for a month without startup
here temp is 0~10 F outside.
is there a good way to protect my car from severe cold weather??
thanks in advance.
Old Dec 10, 2009 | 01:43 PM
Evolved Member

I can't imagine that'd be an issue...your tires aren't going to flatten or fuel go bad in that amount of time. I had a lot of people offer to drive my car when I was gone for a few weeks. lol.
Old Dec 10, 2009 | 03:52 PM
Evolving Member

Not too sure about that...

I had a really bad experience a few years back with my old VW Passat 1.8T. Went on vacation to Europe in January when the outside temp was about 0-10 degrees F... The car was left outside in our driveway for 2 weeks, came back to start it up and it sounded like absolute SH*T. Mind you, the car was practically brand new with zero issues.

After warming it up, set off to drive and then it started to sputter and died on the road about 50 ft down from the house. I forgot what the issue was exactly (it was about 4 years ago), but it was something along the lines of ice forming somewhere getting into the engine.

I was told by many that if you are to leave your car in the cold for however long of a duration without starting it once in a while, you should keep a full-tank of gas to help prevent ice from forming and getting into the engine.

It cost a pretty penny to get that fixed and seriously regretted leaving that car outside in the dead of winter.

Hope my mistake/bad experience can help you somehow.
Old Dec 10, 2009 | 04:55 PM

No problem. Fuel doesn't start to go bad until after 60 days either. Tires not until at the earliest 6 months. Do it. Crime is the only thing I would be concerned about. We all know people like Evos.
Old Dec 11, 2009 | 03:43 AM
Evolving Member

Not sure just how misserably cold it is up there in the state of the cheeseheads. My guess is that the only problem you might face will be a dead battery, extreme cold has that effect from time to time.
Old Dec 11, 2009 | 11:49 AM

Originally Posted by Gump
Not sure just how misserably cold it is up there in the state of the cheeseheads. My guess is that the only problem you might face will be a dead battery, extreme cold has that effect from time to time.
I just put a new Optima Yellowtop battery in and the car sat for a week in zero degree weather. It barely wanted to start. I may have a problem other than the battery but if I left my car for a month, I would pull the battery and put it someplace warm.
Old Dec 11, 2009 | 12:20 PM
EvoM Community Team Leader

rent a covered parking or a heated storage facility that will fit your evo. you will have peace of mind, from critters trying to get inside, crime, cold winter etc.
Old Dec 11, 2009 | 12:51 PM
Evolved Member

sblvro has the right idea, pay the 50-100 and put it in a big storage building. If it has electricity hook up a battery tender and you'll be fine. I would not leave it out, someone could easily break into it and vandalize it as it sits there, not like they won't know.
Old Dec 12, 2009 | 12:36 AM

Thank you all. I would better rent a storage for my evo.
Old Dec 12, 2009 | 07:10 AM
Evolved Member

If you are going to leave your car outside, I would do...
1. Car cover
2. Find a stuff to put under the tires. And put more air in tires. This will help getting a flat.
3. Disconnect Battery
4. Oil change and may think about add stabil to gas.

This is pretty much basic stuff I would do, especially in cold weather. Garage will be good choice too but if you live in nice area, I wouldn't pay for gagrage.