Notices
EvoM New Member / FAQs / EvoM Rules New member? Come on in, introduce yourself, and get acquainted with the evolutionm.net posse :) FAQs will also be answered in here.

Why should I get an evoVIII over an e36 M3?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 5, 2010, 10:28 AM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I think you joined different world, asking question, should i get evo over m3, everyone on this board will say go with an evo.

Stick with something that you allready like.

I'm 30 years old, yes i do own pretty fast evo, would i buy m3 over evo? no. why? because since 98 ive been allready into dsm's, eclipses' talons, etc. I tried to get rid of it ones, got myself into Audi S4 that didnt help. lol.

For you?

Get m3. I just hope you find one in a good shape! with no electrical problems. we are talking about 15 year old car. things need to get fix here and there.

also for an evo? it is very hard to find 03+ that wasnt beaten to death.

edit: you said no money buy for parts, but you dont have to pay monthly payments if you buy it for cash, thats a huge save right there.

M3= people look at you differently, you can go restaurants, business trips, etc.

Evo= older people think its a nother young punk kid, driving a **** box

good luck.

Last edited by tweakdsm; Jan 5, 2010 at 10:33 AM.
Old Jan 5, 2010, 10:42 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
haha.

i kind of like the Evo's sleeper essence though. everyone knows what an M3 is but sometimes when you pull up to an older guy in a 911, AMG or whatever they dont really know the potential of a Mitsu, and they dont realize that.. damn this car is for real. The M3 gets a level of respect that isnt rivaled by many in the autoworld, especially e30's and e36's before BMW just started fighting over luxury speed with audi, MB and others.. it will be tough to find the right evo but it will be just as tough to find a decent M3. The thing that I like about M3's is that people really care for them, the majority of them are adult owned and I get the feeling that M3 owners dont beat their cars like Evo owners do, maybe thats just because evo owners know their cars can take it..

thanks for the input though tweak, your right its hard to stray from your roots.
Old Jan 5, 2010, 11:15 AM

Originally Posted by thebillsman
I feel like your being kind of nieve in this situation, I respect your opinion but it's not that easy..

I'm pretty sure the M3 weighs somewhere in the region of 2900lbs where as the VIII weighs around 3300.

No car ever wins outright..

explain yourself..? why the evo..?
"All E36 M3's are 3175 from BMW, thats how they are listed. My friends 97 4 door weighted 3190, no weight reduction."

evo-
RS - 3217
GSR - 3263
MR - 3285
GSR w/ssl - 3338

buy an evo
Old Jan 5, 2010, 11:24 AM

thanks for clearing that up!

because I have a MINI right now I've learned a thing or two about the power to weight ratio and its a lot more important than I had originally thought. hopefully my car will sell soon and the paycheck will add up and i'll eventually purchase something. there's still plenty of time to change my mind, lol.
Old Jan 5, 2010, 11:25 AM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
How about E46's? I love it. Im actually thinking to pick one up next year, when i pay off my evo. and leave evo for track-fun days. My bro used to own E46 with wheels and suspension , catback and intake. slammed. I miss that car.
Old Jan 5, 2010, 11:35 AM

have you driven either car before?
Old Jan 5, 2010, 11:36 AM

Originally Posted by tweakdsm
How about E46's? I love it. Im actually thinking to pick one up next year, when i pay off my evo. and leave evo for track-fun days. My bro used to own E46 with wheels and suspension , catback and intake. slammed. I miss that car.
The price of e46's plummetted!

Driving through the suburbs I feel like I see an e46 for sale in the mid-teens every few miles.

Thanks for making this a three-way race now.. haa
Old Jan 5, 2010, 11:37 AM

Originally Posted by Got_Boost
have you driven either car before?
many times!

i like both for much different reasons, its apples and oranges..

i wish it was a red apple vs a green apple, like the STI vs the VIII.. but that doesnt seem to be the case

Last edited by thebillsman; Jan 5, 2010 at 11:40 AM.
Old Jan 5, 2010, 11:46 AM

well since you have a mini cooper (BMW). buy an evo. watch some top gear on you tube maybe that will help the one finger tripod mode works every time
Old Jan 5, 2010, 11:46 AM

This would be an ideal competitor for my decision

1998 M3 Sedan

http://www.cars.com/go/search/detail...5&aff=national

This would be the ideal dream car, lol
Beautiful rebuilt E30 with a Turner 2.5 stroker

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.js...e&rdpage=thumb
Old Jan 5, 2010, 11:49 AM

well since you have a mini cooper (BMW). buy an evo. watch some top gear on you tube maybe that will help the one finger tripod mode works every time
ha, im a huge top gear advocate. believe me i've seen every youtube video with an evo in it. my favorite Evo Top Gear moment is when the stig take out the FQ320 vs. the STI WR1 and at the end of the day the evo whoops the STI and the stig says "The subaru was a good boys car, but that, the mitsubishi is a man's car."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6oHlx2bwFcY
Old Jan 5, 2010, 12:07 PM

another thing is your insurance is prolly cheaper with the evo (4 door, awd) vs (2 door, rwd) "sports car"
Old Jan 5, 2010, 12:16 PM

another thing is your insurance is prolly cheaper with the evo (4 door, awd) vs (2 door, rwd) "sports car"
im not sure, the last i heard the insurance rates for evoVIII's (and STI's alike) is extremely high. I should probably call and get a rate quote but I'll do that when I'm actually in a position to buy the car. I'm hoping that being a 1998 the insurance rate might go down and I'm looking for a four door, so having a sedan might help me also..
Old Jan 5, 2010, 12:18 PM

well i went from a 2000 s2000 to a 2005 evo mr and dropped $70 a month?

i know a s2000 isnt a e36 but.... e46 im sure is really high
Old Jan 5, 2010, 01:32 PM

well i went from a 2000 s2000 to a 2005 evo mr and dropped $70 a month?

i know a s2000 isnt a e36 but.... e46 im sure is really high
man you lucked out!

i dont think my rate will change that much going from a MINI S to an e36 but I know it will increase by atleast $60 a month with an VIII, we'll see!

Quick Reply: Why should I get an evoVIII over an e36 M3?