Notices
EvoM New Member / FAQs / EvoM Rules New member? Come on in, introduce yourself, and get acquainted with the evolutionm.net posse :) FAQs will also be answered in here.

Shifter Bushings

Search this Thread

Old Jan 10, 2010, 04:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Shifter Bushings

Dont get me wrong my evo shifts well but it still isnt on the lvl of cars like... say the 08 M3. Or really any other high quality sports car for that matter. They are cheap but are they worth the hassle to install? Will it improve my shifts enough?
Old Jan 11, 2010, 11:25 AM
Account Disabled

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Hello Paintballer81,

It may seem like a biased opinion but a Short shifter and a bushing kit really completely changes the shifting feel of the of the Evo's. I'm assuming you have a 5 speed manual transmission otherwise I am not aware of any companies that make a short shifter for the evo 8's 6 speed.

As for bushings alone, they are worth more then their weight in gold. Personally I have driven many of our test cars with only the bushings installed and TWM Performance bushings always make a nice noticeable difference.

For the price, you can't go wrong and they are fairly easy to install. That being said, by only modding the bushings, don't expect the car to feel like an 08 M3 or a Porsche...you'll need the short shifter to get the that level of precision shift feeling

Patrick
TWM Performance
Old Jan 11, 2010, 11:50 AM

^thought so but i have the 6 speed.
Old Jan 11, 2010, 12:04 PM
Account Disabled

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Paintballer81
^thought so but i have the 6 speed.
In that case, the bushings will still fit, however, I don't think anyone make a short shifter for the 6 speeds including us. The bushings are the same as the 2001-2007 Lancers so if you want to check out our site, here is a link

http://www.twmperformance.com/bushingkits/index.htm

Just go to that page, and scroll down to the base bushing section. The you can select your make and model. Select the 01-07 Lancer option as that will fit your Evo 8

Let me know if you need help with anything else or if you have any other questions

Patrick
TWM Performance
Old Jan 11, 2010, 12:13 PM
Evolved Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
Definitely pick up some shifter cable (under-hood) bushings and the shifter base bushings. Speed-Source makes the nicest ones I've found, plus they're very reasonably priced.

http://www.speed-source.net/
Old Jan 11, 2010, 01:27 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I installed them last year - I picked the AMS bushings personally. They did help out some and were well worth their $35 or whatever the cost. Shifting is more precise.

While I think it's a good upgrade, changing out the transmission fluid itself seemed to make a bigger 'smooth shifting' difference in my case. Might be because my car is tracked and thus a bit more torcher on the fluids - but that's my .02. I went with Redline trans fluid.

Fwiw, I had the factory short-shift kit on my STi and never liked it. I liked the regular gates better as they seemed to 'lock-in' with more confidence. Just my preference; I don't like missing gears!
Old Jan 11, 2010, 01:33 PM
Evolved Member

my shifting upgrade:

1. short shifter
2. underhood bushings
3. shifter base bushings
4. stainless steel clutch line
5. front AMS engine mount
6. Engalls Engine Torque Dampner
7. New Fluids

I thought the shifting couldn't be any more precise although the verdict is out on the short shifter. each to his own....

Id rather have the AMS engine mount kit versus the short shifter - although i like the notchy shifting, I like the taller shifter....

Last edited by 2003lancerevo8; Jan 11, 2010 at 01:35 PM.
Old Jan 13, 2010, 01:18 AM
Evolved Member

TWM FTW!!!! I bought the short shifter and the shifter base bushings.
Old Jan 13, 2010, 06:14 AM

I have mounted ams shifter bushing and short shifter agency power, still I must try in road ..... I hope better the changed one….
Old Jan 13, 2010, 02:21 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by 2003lancerevo8

Id rather have the AMS engine mount kit versus the short shifter - although i like the notchy shifting, I like the taller shifter....
+1

If you're worried about difficult shifts, ensure you've secured the motor before you go about replacing all the linkage. I'm under the impression the engine is hopping around a fair deal if you're using stock motor mounts and shifting at high RPMs.
Old Jan 13, 2010, 03:55 PM

? wasnt aware that securing my engine more would smooth out shifts.. sounds like a lot of work.
Old Jan 16, 2010, 03:54 AM

Well put it this way, when you are in a car you're not moving around too much, but while you're driving you're still not moving but you're motor is shifting back and forth from driving so it makes your shifting less predictable
Old Jan 16, 2010, 04:05 PM

I installed the Agency Power under hood shifter bushings and the difference was not that noticeable, but I don't mind the notchy feeling. As far as short shifter for the 6speed, I think Works is the only one that makes them.
Old Jan 19, 2010, 05:19 PM

hmm. engine mounts maybe a little out of my league on the do it yourself upgrades department, i think i will just stick to shifter bushings
Old Jan 19, 2010, 05:47 PM

if your going with the shifter bushings pick TWM their quality is top notch along with their shift knobs

Quick Reply: Shifter Bushings