Notices
EvoM New Member / FAQs / EvoM Rules New member? Come on in, introduce yourself, and get acquainted with the evolutionm.net posse :) FAQs will also be answered in here.

Evo X, STI, Audi A3, or S2000?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 18, 2010, 05:21 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Evo X, STI, Audi A3, or S2000?

Im in the market for a new car and am up for a performance machine. Im coming from a lifetime of Toyota and Honda econoboxes.. but can't get over the number of major problems Im reading online about the Evo X, STI and A3?

Evo X: differential pins weak, 5 speed transmission with high freeway revs, crappy interior with squeaks and rattles, seats falling apart..

STI: ringland issues causing engines to fail

A3: carbon buildup problems on valves due to direct injection, only FWD with manual transmission

I really want to try something other than a Honda this time around and keep waffling between the EVO and A3. The engine failures with the STI have basically made me cross them off the list. Are these cars really that maintenance intensive?

Im afraid Ill regret it after having no maintenance Hondas and Toyotas my whole life..

Im leaning A3 but cant get over that its FWD all over again.

Maybe I should just get an s2000, Anybody with experience with these cars can convince me to go for the Evo?
Old Jan 18, 2010, 05:27 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Sounds like you shouldn't buy any of these cars.
Stick with Honda,get the S2000.
Old Jan 18, 2010, 05:31 PM
Evolved Member

Received 75 Likes on 68 Posts
Your asking an Evo board for advice on what car to buy with your money, I'm sure you can guess what the answer will be. The four cars you've listed are very different. The Evo X is undoubtedly the fastest of the four but is probably the second worst for practicality. The STI is the most practical (tons of space) but the styling is a real love:hate thing and the performance isn't like the Evo X at all. The Audi is nothing like the already stated cars but given that it's an Audi, it's probably the most comfortable and I wouldn't be shocked if it was the most fuel efficient. The S2000 is a roadster, nuff said.
Old Jan 18, 2010, 05:32 PM
Evolved Member

there is nothing wrong with S2K.. its a nice car, and I wouldnt mind owning it.
Old Jan 18, 2010, 06:08 PM

I've got a 02 s2000 right now and I have been thinking about selling and getting into an Evo X. The combo of awd, turbo, 4seats ect is drawing me in.

I love the s2000 for what it is. Its not the fastest car, but its decently quick, handles great and is overall fun.

Not practical for all, but has never been a problem for me. I'm on my 2nd s2000, so roughly 3 years of daily driving it and I like I said, have never had it be a problem for DD.

Good luck in your pick!

yay for my first post here
Old Jan 19, 2010, 04:08 AM
FJF
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Gyroscope
Maybe I should just get an s2000, Anybody with experience with these cars can convince me to go for the Evo?
I'd go for the S2000.
Old Jan 19, 2010, 04:58 AM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I thought 09+ sti didn't have an issue.
Old Jan 19, 2010, 05:20 AM
Evolved Member

The A3s are available with quattro. The TTS is on the wife's wish list, but I could easily build an A3/S3 clone that would be its equal. Unfortunately nothing is cheap with Audi's. The cost of mods aren't too much more than the Evo's, but maintenance issues can get to be a nightmare.

My 2001 S4 had issues that I couldn't imagine having in the two Evo's I've had. Front control arms (all of them) would last about 50k miles (ball joints), EBD controllers burn out, MAF failures, the dash info display started to burn out at 65k miles, etc. Even the sunroof would give us problems on a regular basis. All of that stuff is very expensive to fix, if you can even find the parts.

Hopefully Audi's quality has improved, but I'm hesitant to do anything other than lease one right now.
Old Jan 19, 2010, 05:26 AM
chu
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
S2000s are nice and can be had fairly cheap these days. Realiable with tons of aftermarket support. GL!
Old Jan 19, 2010, 06:24 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by chu
s2000s are nice and can be had fairly cheap these days. Realiable with tons of aftermarket support. Gl!
+1
Old Jan 19, 2010, 06:28 AM
EvoM Community Team

You've listed a bunch of different cars...but you haven't told us anything important. Why don't you start by telling us what you want in your next car? What's important? What's not? What's a must-have? Do you care if it's AWD, FWD or RWD? Practicality/storage? Safety? Luxury?

Without knowing what's important, nobody can really help you. You'll get out only what you're willing put into this.
Old Jan 19, 2010, 06:30 AM

[quote=Gyroscope;7899959]Im in the market for a new car and am up for a performance machine. Im coming from a lifetime of Toyota and Honda econoboxes.. but can't get over the number of major problems Im reading online about the Evo X, STI and A3?

get the honda... i regret getting the lancer after my civic... the mitsu has great engine but everything else is just low quality. random rattles and noises is already a problem with my NEW lancer. i cant wait to trade it in for a honda. sigh...
Old Jan 19, 2010, 11:07 AM

I love my 08 sti, its a great car more practical IMO, as far as that ringland issue, its a factory recall so if its under warranty go drop it by they will fix it for you, so no biggie!
Old Jan 19, 2010, 01:12 PM
chu
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by cookiedo!
I love my 08 sti, its a great car more practical IMO, as far as that ringland issue, its a factory recall so if its under warranty go drop it by they will fix it for you, so no biggie!
What are you doing on here then trader?
Old Jan 19, 2010, 01:15 PM

LOL cause im thinking bout buying a IX mr

Quick Reply: Evo X, STI, Audi A3, or S2000?