Notices
EvoM New Member / FAQs / EvoM Rules New member? Come on in, introduce yourself, and get acquainted with the evolutionm.net posse :) FAQs will also be answered in here.

Making the move from VR6 to EVO :) and have questions

Search this Thread

Old Feb 3, 2010, 12:15 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Making the move from VR6 to EVO :) and have questions

So I am making the big step up from my mk3 GTI vr6 to an evo. My original plan was to turbo the bloody hell out of my 12v VR, but dealing with emissions here in california seemed like to much of a hassle, so instead I am going to step up my game and move to the world of factory boost.

Once I sell off my VW I will have my down payment, and am looking for something in the $16,000 range (+/- $2500). I am trying to figure out what my best option would be. My eventual goal would be somewhere around 400 hp. My question is this:

Would it be worth it to me to get the MR? Would it be cost effective? OR would it be smarter for me to go with a pre modified EVO 8 (go fast parts are always cheaper when there is a car attached to them)? What are some of the benifits of the MR over other models?

There really don't seem to be many EVO 8 MR's, as they only were produced in during the first half of 2005 (I am pretty sure). This means that if I wanted to get my hands on an MR, I would most likely have to go with an EVO 9. Do MRs handle more boost? What are some mechanical differences.

I have been surfing the forums and the web, but don't really know where to begin.

Thanks guys, hope that wasn't too long winded.

Last edited by Sean0987; Feb 3, 2010 at 12:20 AM.
Old Feb 3, 2010, 12:21 AM
Evolving Member

well the newb forum is a good place to begin. there really isn't any benefit to the MR, especially if you are modding. Quick search on here can tell you the difference between the MR and the other evos. Mechanicallyt hey are identical except for the transmission. MR comes with 6 speed. Everything else 5 speed. Unless you find an awesome deal dont waste your time trying to find one. The 5-speed transmission is more power friendly anyways. However, if you want every non-evo owning person to think you have the fastest evo, then by all means spend the extra on the MR. IMO, SE is the best package. My 2 cents before this gets locked and closed
Old Feb 3, 2010, 01:39 AM

i had a mk3 gti vr6 then an m3 now i finally have an evo . its by far my favorite. if i were you since your only wanting 16K your best bet is finding an evo 8. if you could get a nine and you will be on your way to 400 awhp. with the nines you could get a stock frame turbo like fp red or bbk. i believe 8 have some kind of kit for them to fit. but either way they put out good numbers and look stock! best of luck you will like the awd better then fwd.
Old Feb 3, 2010, 03:20 AM
Evolving Member

Coming from an MK4 R32... I miss the sound of that VR6 motor. The fit and finish, and all the nice creature comforts and thick paint.

That said, they are not anywhere the same. If you were planning on running down the Turbo build on your MK3, then by all means you are making the right call.

AS far as what one.... let the deal find you (when you have $$ in hand) they are all quite good and to find one that had the right owner may be challenging. I originally wanted an MR, then I realized that I am just gonna mod this like everything thing else I own.. So, I found a nice pre-loved Evo 8 that had most of what I was going to do anyway. Saved a bunch of time and money.
Old Feb 3, 2010, 03:45 AM
Former Sponsor

The difference in the MR is:
Bilstien suspension
Aluminum Roof
Teflon coated shifter cables
Revised clutch disc for less vibration
Vortex Generator
Different color spoiler (evo8)
6 speed transmission
BBS wheels
triple gauge package
Aluminum e-brake and pedals

Obviously alot of people will say it's not worth it. The 6 speed is a much smoother shifting transmission and has great gear ratios for the street..
Old Feb 3, 2010, 04:28 AM
Evolving Member

^ to add to that list the MR also comes with leather recaros... But you can find some 8's with the nicer in my opinion full leather recaros! That is what i have and they are night and day compared to the cloth recaros comfort wise
Old Feb 3, 2010, 05:03 AM
Evolving Member

MRs includes: bilstein shocks, aluminum roof panel without sunroof, bigger oil cooler, 6 speed trans. leather interiors, carbon fiber details, aluminum pedals, vortex fins.
Old Feb 3, 2010, 05:11 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by BlueEvoG
^ to add to that list the MR also comes with leather recaros... But you can find some 8's with the nicer in my opinion full leather recaros! That is what i have and they are night and day compared to the cloth recaros comfort wise
The MR did not come with leather until 2010
Old Feb 3, 2010, 05:15 AM
Evolving Member

half leather...that count
Old Feb 3, 2010, 05:17 AM
Evolving Member

My DD is a GTI MK4 VR6 and I love it. I recommend you keep the vr6 for a dd because a modded Evo is probbably going to break at some point and be expensive to fix. When mine breaks I can let me Evo sit and still have a car, plus adding the Evo as a pleasure vehicle to my insurance saved me a ton of cash.
Old Feb 3, 2010, 05:20 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
evo 8 MR has the same blue seats all 8's have, evo 9 MR has the same leather/alcantara seats all evo 9's have.
Leather came with the SSL package.
The engine is exactly the same as other evo's, only mechanical difference is the 6-speed gearbox.
Off topic: it seems like a lot of people actually think the MR has some kind of factory modified extra-powerful engine.....

Last edited by Evoardo IX; Feb 3, 2010 at 05:24 AM.
Old Feb 3, 2010, 05:35 AM
Evolving Member

EVO 9 mr came with the partial leather seats 6 speed and the bbs wheels, the 8's are where you had to get the ssl package to get the full leather
Old Feb 3, 2010, 05:36 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by PeteyTurbo@KHC
The MR did not come with leather until 2010
they came with a partial leather/phoswead/cloth combo
Old Feb 3, 2010, 05:52 AM
EvoM Administrator

Received 135 Likes on 81 Posts
Massive upgrade! You will be very pleased.
Old Feb 3, 2010, 06:17 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
im not a fan of the MR edition but if your only wanting 400whp the n it will/can handle that all day long with no issues. the extra gear is great if you do alot of Highway driving and trips that i can say but if your going to go all out say 500whp and up then avoid the MR.

Quick Reply: Making the move from VR6 to EVO :) and have questions