Notices
EvoM New Member / FAQs / EvoM Rules New member? Come on in, introduce yourself, and get acquainted with the evolutionm.net posse :) FAQs will also be answered in here.

How much boost do you run just around town?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 11, 2010, 11:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
just leave it stock boost. Its made to run that way from the factory. Besides if you put intake, exhaust on ur car and its a little cool outside u will spike a bit any ways to make up for it being over rich from the factory.
Old Feb 12, 2010, 12:28 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by DrivenSolo88
just leave it stock boost. Its made to run that way from the factory. Besides if you put intake, exhaust on ur car and its a little cool outside u will spike a bit any ways to make up for it being over rich from the factory.
I do agree, unless he's gonna get tuned, then it would be silly to stay at stock levels. Its a must to go bigger on the boost full time without any taper after the tune, unless he's out for better MPG.

Stock peaks around 19 and then tapers to like 15-16ish
Old Feb 13, 2010, 08:49 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by DJ Brett B
The only reason you should turn your boost down is if you notice it boosting too high due to cold temps- even then, keep it at the level it was tuned for. Period.
That is basically why i turned it down... when it was getting like 25 degree's here i notice i went from 21-22 peak to 25 peak... so i turned it down a couple and then it got closer to the 10 degrees and it jumped right back up so i turned it down alot and got it to around 15 MAX! and it still gets up and goes just fine but it is not like whiplash quick!

I put it away for the winter cause snow is way bad here and i dont trust other people but i will defintily turn it back up when i pull it out.... It is like getting a brand new evo every spring if you know what i mean! Except the winter part is so slow cause you cant wait to pull it out cause that is when i buy all my mods and put them while it sits in the garage. I hate waiting to take it out and see what it can do, Even if i did pull it out i cant go anywhere.... to much DAMN snow!
Old Feb 13, 2010, 09:43 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by 06GraphiteEvoIX
That is basically why i turned it down... when it was getting like 25 degree's here i notice i went from 21-22 peak to 25 peak... so i turned it down a couple and then it got closer to the 10 degrees and it jumped right back up so i turned it down alot and got it to around 15 MAX! and it still gets up and goes just fine but it is not like whiplash quick!

I put it away for the winter cause snow is way bad here and i dont trust other people but i will defintily turn it back up when i pull it out.... It is like getting a brand new evo every spring if you know what i mean! Except the winter part is so slow cause you cant wait to pull it out cause that is when i buy all my mods and put them while it sits in the garage. I hate waiting to take it out and see what it can do, Even if i did pull it out i cant go anywhere.... to much DAMN snow!
Yes, the boost will increase with the cold weather outside, but down a few pounds should solve that issue. I hope it isn't boosting more than needed and faster than it should or you could have a possible boost creep issue in your charging system. I support safety during the winter months, but if you do that during the summer then you are taking it to an extreme IMO. However, it is your car, be safe and have fun!
Old Feb 13, 2010, 12:44 PM
FJF
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
The boost variance you're seeing is most likely due the cold temps altering the response of the spring inside the MBC. If it isn't installed as such, you may want to mount your MBC to something that comes up to temp with the engine, like the radiator. Too, I hope you're not boosting before your oil (not water) is up to temp. FWIW, I'm running a Hallman MBC and seeing +/- 0.5PSI peaks from 30-90F.
Old Feb 16, 2010, 02:51 AM

Originally Posted by paperclip
. If u arnt gonna run even stock boost why even pay the extra money for an evo, you would be fine with a civic si or lancer.... Grow a pair and live a little its quite fun
+1
Old Feb 16, 2010, 03:08 AM

i ride around at 27.5 and dont touch it....thats what i was tuned for...
Old Feb 16, 2010, 03:36 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
25 but I try not to hit full boost lol.
Old Feb 16, 2010, 04:00 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by DJ Brett B
The only reason you should turn your boost down is if you notice it boosting too high due to cold temps- even then, keep it at the level it was tuned for. Period.

Right on target... This is the correct answer... Your tuner will decide what is safe for your car based on how you drive, where you drive, fuel and modifications.

If your tuner doesn't ask how the cars driven then he's not doing his job. Knowing the driver is just as important as knowing the car.

Cheers!
Old Mar 24, 2010, 07:08 PM

I run 27 psi all day until i get a new ignition which then i will be running 30-31 psi
Old Mar 26, 2010, 08:08 AM

in the winter i turn mine down to about 19 but in the spring/summer i turn it back up to 29. its pretty much up to you. i just wouldnt turn it down to low or to high for that matter lol.
Old Mar 26, 2010, 08:41 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by 4WS Tuning

Right on target... This is the correct answer... Your tuner will decide what is safe for your car based on how you drive, where you drive, fuel and modifications.

If your tuner doesn't ask how the cars driven then he's not doing his job. Knowing the driver is just as important as knowing the car.

Cheers!
Thats pretty much enough said right there. I am tuned for 26 psi and i use it when i need it.
Old Mar 28, 2010, 02:07 PM

23 psi daily on 91 pump gas
Old Mar 28, 2010, 02:10 PM
Evolving Member

31 all day
Old Mar 28, 2010, 02:47 PM
Evolved Member

The ECU is smart enough to know that there is not 21 lbs in the intake becuase it has a mas air flow sensor it made so that it puts the right a/f ratio inside the engine. when someone tunes it you change air/fuel so at that rpm it has that mixture so depending on how much air there is the mass air flow tells it how much fuel to put in and it accomidates for that besides i dont hardly ever get on it anyways and my a/r ratio's are the same as they are when i am at 21 lbs. I am a newbie and any expert should know that!
you may be mixing up open and closed loop operation. on high load/boost your ecu relies primarily on your fuel maps, not your maf. ecu is only "smart" during low load operation(idle or cruise) which just adjusts for 14.7 afr using maf signal primarily. turning down your boost to 15 psi when your tuned for low 20's means your running very rich up top. if you see the same afr ratio regardless of psi means maybe your wideband may need calibration.

Quick Reply: How much boost do you run just around town?