Notices
EvoM New Member / FAQs / EvoM Rules New member? Come on in, introduce yourself, and get acquainted with the evolutionm.net posse :) FAQs will also be answered in here.

Advice on buying an evo ix?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 20, 2010, 07:25 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Advice on buying an evo ix?

So I found an evo I would like to buy.
It's an 06' SSL completely stock with 33,500 miles on it

When I received the carfax report on it. It said there had been an accident on it. Dealer said the car hit into a guard rail. Everything was fixed and it has a clean title.
The report also said there was a problem w/ the odometer reading, but apparently it was a typo so they put into a request w/ carfax to have it removed from the report which it was.

Anyways, they are asking 20k and I tried to negotiate and they will not budge at all on the price. I'm just wondering if you guys think this is a great deal or not?

And how much would the accident effect my resell value of the car if I had to sell it?

I really don't want to buy an evo unless I am getting a great deal
Old Feb 20, 2010, 01:15 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Do you know where the car was hit? Who said it was a typo, the dealership or the report?
Old Feb 20, 2010, 01:19 PM

do they have documentation of the damage and or information on the shop who fixed it? Is it a salvage title? If so I would not pay anywhere close to that price. It seems shady to me, run....run
Old Feb 20, 2010, 01:21 PM
Evolved Member

stay away from it.... typos and accidents??? there is something fishy. Unless they sell it for $15k dont even bother.
Old Feb 20, 2010, 01:24 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
If your going to buy it I would have them put that car on a lift and I'd go through it with a fine tooth comb first. $20k sounds steep too for being in an accident and having 33k on it. I agree with $15k or walk
Old Feb 20, 2010, 01:29 PM
FJF
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
FWIW, my IX kissed a guardrail. If there was no structural damage, it's mostly a matter of replacing bent parts and paint. I hand-picked the guy who did the work - Cory from STM. It took a little while, and he did an amazing job - the car is absolutely perfect. If you consider buying the car, find out where it was repaired, who did the work (perhaps talk to the guy), and have it thoroughly inspected. If not, pass.
Old Feb 20, 2010, 04:56 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
If it is close to me I can look at it. PM me the dealership and I will see if I can dig up info through some contacts.

But Yeah, I wouldn't pay more that 16K. People are selling them in my area for that.
Old Feb 21, 2010, 02:24 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Thanks for the PM. Car was sold today. I got there and they said they sold it in the morning, sorry. But there will be better ones out there. Good Luck
Old Feb 21, 2010, 05:51 PM
Evolving Member

An ssl ix with a regular title and 33k miles for 16k? That's crazy talk!
Old Feb 22, 2010, 08:16 AM

I just paid $21k for my IX MR with 31,500 when I bought it. Nothing fishy like that, but I got a great car for 21k. Go over it carefully and as long as it was a minimal accident, you should be fine. 20k sounds pretty solid to me. Bring it to a trusted mechanic and/or body shop. If everything checks out, go for it.
Old Feb 22, 2010, 08:22 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by edogg23
An ssl ix with a regular title and 33k miles for 16k? That's crazy talk!

are you even reading the OP...and why is that crazy, my brother bought an 06 SE with 27k miles for $18.3 from a private owner, and there has been plenty of evo IX for cheap. Its just that dealers always overcharge at least $5k from what a private seller would, and dealers are waaay slicker than a private owner trust me i have worked at a dealer before.
Old Feb 22, 2010, 10:18 AM

my friend bought 06 evo with 13k miles for 15.500! just with light damage! he just changed the front right fender! and u got Evo 9 for 16K! lol
Old Feb 22, 2010, 10:45 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
mine had some sort of accident on its history but it all looked perfect so i bought it. Will not hinder me selling it later as i will have replaced everything as fjf stated just cause you see accident does not mean red flag there are people on here everyday buying evos to restore them to new etc. you just need to check the motor out is the most important part. yes 16k it stupid low for a evo 9 and i would wonder whats up myself thats evo 8 territory
Old Feb 23, 2010, 07:37 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by erald01
are you even reading the OP...and why is that crazy, my brother bought an 06 SE with 27k miles for $18.3 from a private owner, and there has been plenty of evo IX for cheap. Its just that dealers always overcharge at least $5k from what a private seller would, and dealers are waaay slicker than a private owner trust me i have worked at a dealer before.
Yeah i read the OP did you? Just because your friend got luckly enough to find some despirate seller who was willing to get screwed on his sale doesn't mean that all 06 SEs with 27k miles are worth $18.3. If you read the post he says that the car already sold, probably for 20k since the dealership wouldn't haggle on it. So why would the dealership sell it for 16k when they can and did get 20k for it? That's crazy talk just like i said....
Old Feb 23, 2010, 07:50 PM
Evolved Member

exactly someone desperate maybe like you went and bought it, BUT if you are patient enough good deals always show up. And the only reason me and some other members are saying 15-16k for it is because the car was hit before and typo problems on carfax which rarely happen, and especially a typo on odometer reading!!!... NOW would you want to through 20k away for a car that could be junk down the road. Yeah its a 50/50 chance BUT why take it, hen it comes to so much money.

Quick Reply: Advice on buying an evo ix?