Notices
EvoM New Member / FAQs / EvoM Rules New member? Come on in, introduce yourself, and get acquainted with the evolutionm.net posse :) FAQs will also be answered in here.

AWD/RWD Pros and Cons

Search this Thread

Old Mar 5, 2010, 09:03 AM
Account Disabled

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by brooklynbo122
Yeah I didn't forget..I actually live down the street from a guy that slowly turned his NA supra to something wicked..I saw and heard him pulling from an intersection and needless to say it wasn't so NA anymore..far from it.

So pretty much you're still doing better than your buddy I take it..?
Problem with my buddy is his suspension and needs some wider tires. don't get me wrong, if supras were more affordable from the door then I would have owned one a long time ago. i still love those things but not as much as a skyline. AWD FTW!!!!
Old Mar 5, 2010, 01:52 PM
Evolving Member

I'll give you my .02 coming from a S/C S2000 to an EVO. RWD is really fun and scary at the same time. Completely different worlds of driving. You need to be a skilled driver to truely push a high power RWD to its limits while the AWD vechiles are much more forgiving when it comes to driver error. I love my EVO MR its still stock and enjoying it in the meantime but looking forward to modding it in a big way to make up for lack of top-end power. EVO is great but l do miss the S2000 from time to time especially in the summer.

As for the 350Z, drove it.....hated it.....bought my new S2k that day!!! The car is fat and sloppy. No thrill powerband, terrible visibility No comparasion to EVO or S2K in my humble opinion.
Old Mar 5, 2010, 02:45 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by brooklynbo122
So other than the Evo being a wicked car regardless what made you switch from 350 to Evo? Would you say the Z is more for looks than speed? The way I see it the top-of-the-line Z, nismo, isn't even doing much for performance.

The main problem with the z is can't get any power by modding n/a. U have to go turbo and the fragile engine can't hold it. Even some built vq engines don't last very long.

Don't get me wrong I had mine for 3 years and it's a great car for the track and back roads. It drove great and handled it's *** off, but when it comes to making power it doesn't compare to the evo world. Put ityhis way I parted out my 350 and with the money I got from selling used parts I was able to put a down payment on my evo and make 400 at the wheels. My best numbers on the 350 were 327 on a 100 shot of nitrous.

I wouldn't go back to a 350 igu paid me. They are great looking cars just can't perform all around like the evo can.

Jeff
Old Mar 5, 2010, 02:48 PM
Account Disabled

i drove my aunts 350Z and was completely underwhelmed. Maybe it's not fair considering I'm used to a car that runs low 11's all day. As for styling they look sweet with just a nice lip kit and aggressive wheels.
Old Mar 5, 2010, 07:11 PM
Evolved Member

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
I will say that I live in an area with zero snow, and maybe less than a month's worth of rain... good old sunny Southern California. I don't view having AWD here as useless. It's just so effortless to maneuver the car in whichever way I want, and you will never get tired of the grip. It's also very helpful on those days when it does rain (like this weekend for my area), as I can do almost everything more or less the same. It's funny to see everyone driving 50 on the freeway while I stay in the fast lane and do the usual speeds without worrying when it's raining.

I've driven a few G35s, 350Zs and a 370Z in the past. They're definitely fun cars that hold their own, but in stock form, they just don't really feel more exciting to me than my own car on dry tarmac. (I may be wrong about the 370Z though, as I have only driven it on one occasion, and I didn't get to really push it.) I may feel different about other RWD cars like BMW M3s and such, but for most cars within the Evo's price range, I'm not too excited, though there are a few exceptions (like the S2000 and Miata).
Old Mar 5, 2010, 09:07 PM

Originally Posted by Evogirl80
I completely agree but I honestly can't think of a car to match my Evo. I came from an RSX-S that I swore I was gonna turbo and was glad I didn't. I driven 350z's, S2000s, mustangs....blah, blah, blah. None of them had the all around performance of the Evo. The only big thing people can really get hung up on is the fact that it sucks in the interior quality department if you're looking for luxury. If performance is what you're after then forget about it. One of the things that makes the Evo so great is it's over-engineered parts. Heavy Duty drivetrain, cast iron block with forged internals, stiff suspension, well flowing stock parts that may only need some porting...... there is so much power potential for these cars before you need to think about opening up the motor.
Yeah I couldn't agree more though I'm waiting to get in a 350 , but I have driving almost every Evo since the 03' VIII and performance an first time in you can feel the difference even out of boost. Only thing close is my uncles semi modded c5 vette. I was thinking of an all motor rsx with scissor cams and etc and as you said I'm glad I didn't waste the time and money.

I heard..I think last I heard an Evo can handle 400-600hp stock bottom end..?
Old Mar 5, 2010, 09:14 PM

Problem with my buddy is his suspension and needs some wider tires. don't get me wrong, if supras were more affordable from the door then I would have owned one a long time ago. i still love those things but not as much as a skyline. AWD FTW!!!!
yeah I would have had a supra as well. Soooo much potential after ssoooo much $$$. Idk who wouldn't mind one in their garage. Same for the skyline, personally the skyline is too much trouble. You can have a fresh off the lot GT-R for the cost of bringing previous generations from the land of the rising sun. Lol
Old Mar 5, 2010, 09:23 PM

Originally Posted by tdubbz
I'll give you my .02 coming from a S/C S2000 to an EVO. RWD is really fun and scary at the same time. Completely different worlds of driving. You need to be a skilled driver to truely push a high power RWD to its limits while the AWD vechiles are much more forgiving when it comes to driver error. I love my EVO MR its still stock and enjoying it in the meantime but looking forward to modding it in a big way to make up for lack of top-end power. EVO is great but l do miss the S2000 from time to time especially in the summer.

As for the 350Z, drove it.....hated it.....bought my new S2k that day!!! The car is fat and sloppy. No thrill powerband, terrible visibility No comparasion to EVO or S2K in my humble opinion.
yeah I dig that. High hp rwd's tend to want to go sideways from what I have seen at the track, PINKS, and my own experience. That's why I feel like awd ftw. Rwd and fwd don't make great high hp cars as awd drive imo.

I agree I feel like the 350 is more for looks. Slow and couldn't keep up with my early model 325i. Maybe pushing it a tad with that statement, but really the 350 seems to be just for looks imo. Hear good things about the s2000 though. Anybody Seen the 2jz s2k swaps out there?
Old Mar 5, 2010, 09:31 PM

Originally Posted by atkins
The main problem with the z is can't get any power by modding n/a. U have to go turbo and the fragile engine can't hold it. Even some built vq engines don't last very long.

Don't get me wrong I had mine for 3 years and it's a great car for the track and back roads. It drove great and handled it's *** off, but when it comes to making power it doesn't compare to the evo world. Put ityhis way I parted out my 350 and with the money I got from selling used parts I was able to put a down payment on my evo and make 400 at the wheels. My best numbers on the 350 were 327 on a 100 shot of nitrous.

I wouldn't go back to a 350 igu paid me. They are great looking cars just can't perform all around like the evo can.

Jeff
@jeff I agree I hear they handle well, but like I said in order for it to perform you would need to put an extreme amount of $$ into it. I know a guy who Drives a wicked wrx ($27k into it) wants to do his Z but has seen too many vq35's blow to go through with it. So I agree the Evo does have more all around only thing the z has on the Evo is possibly interior to the most minor degree at that.
Old Mar 5, 2010, 09:34 PM

i drove my aunts 350Z and was completely underwhelmed. Maybe it's not fair considering I'm used to a car that runs low 11's all day. As for styling they look sweet with just a nice lip kit and aggressive wheels.
Yeah their potential for style mods is the only upside for me imo. Otherwise it's too slow for me. Or at least for what I want later In my mod path upon purchase.
Old Mar 5, 2010, 09:38 PM

Originally Posted by DeeezNuuuts83
I will say that I live in an area with zero snow, and maybe less than a month's worth of rain... good old sunny Southern California. I don't view having AWD here as useless. It's just so effortless to maneuver the car in whichever way I want, and you will never get tired of the grip. It's also very helpful on those days when it does rain (like this weekend for my area), as I can do almost everything more or less the same. It's funny to see everyone driving 50 on the freeway while I stay in the fast lane and do the usual speeds without worrying when it's raining.

I've driven a few G35s, 350Zs and a 370Z in the past. They're definitely fun cars that hold their own, but in stock form, they just don't really feel more exciting to me than my own car on dry tarmac. (I may be wrong about the 370Z though, as I have only driven it on one occasion, and I didn't get to really push it.) I may feel different about other RWD cars like BMW M3s and such, but for most cars within the Evo's price range, I'm not too excited, though there are a few exceptions (like the S2000 and Miata).
It is funny to see Evos and STi's flying by while all other traffic is hating the weather lol.

I feel like for the price you can't have anything else that compares really...
Old Mar 6, 2010, 05:01 AM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
TT 350z or G, not that realible compare to evo, you also gotta remember once you put FI on vq, gotta have another car ready. Some guys lived without the car for more than year. You know what that means.
Just TT vq will cost 10k and that will put you 400whp with low psi/stock block. But you gotta also have extra $ for " what if blow". build motor isn't problem if you don't mind dump another 5k+.

it is worth spend money/time car tho, its fast/fun/rwd with turbo I had supercharged z, but If I go back and buy another z, I would go with single turbo. (also big wide tires/rims looks pretty sharp on z )

Good luck, both cars are nice. Oh also, like someone said turbo s2000 sounds fun too.

Last edited by Chef-j; Mar 6, 2010 at 05:06 AM.
Old Mar 6, 2010, 10:02 AM

There are reason's why some people call Evo's as HP Queens...They can make great power, for small(er) money than some cars! specially a 350z. I am at a toss up between an Evo and a 03-04 Cobra. Solid powerplants in both, with both being able to handle a Ton of power. I've grown up on RWD cars, and would love to try out AWD to see which is "better"
Old Mar 6, 2010, 10:22 AM
Evolved Member

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
^ The problem is that the Cobra is more or less a one-trick pony. Not that its handling is terrible, but it's just not nearly up to par with the engine's capabilities. Even with the Cobra-specific IRS, around twisties it's a handful, and not in the fun, involving kind of way.
Old Mar 6, 2010, 05:51 PM

Yeah Evo project>modding a 350..chef j

and I was thinking about a cobra but for all around I'd would take an Evo over one any day unless it was a brand new super snake practically given to me for a good price lol. Which won't happen..so Evo all day *thumbs up*

Quick Reply: AWD/RWD Pros and Cons