Notices
EvoM New Member / FAQs / EvoM Rules New member? Come on in, introduce yourself, and get acquainted with the evolutionm.net posse :) FAQs will also be answered in here.

AWD/RWD Pros and Cons

Search this Thread

Old Mar 6, 2010, 05:59 PM
Evolved Member

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by brooklynbo122
and I was thinking about a cobra but for all around I'd would take an Evo over one any day unless it was a brand new super snake practically given to me for a good price lol. Which won't happen..so Evo all day *thumbs up*
Exactly. When a Super Snake actually costs more than a GT-R but will get spanked by one brutally in damn near every measurable aspect of performance, if you're not a Mustang enthusiast then there is no reason to own that car, unless you like bragging about a 750 hp ride that is slower than virtually every other two-door sports car with the GT-R's horsepower or greater, but still less than 750.

That aside, it just started raining where I live in Southern California, and I feel encouraged to drive right now for fun, haha. Z owners probably don't share that opinion.
Old Mar 6, 2010, 06:10 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I sold my C6 Z06 with 560whp/510lb-tq and I feared crashing it several times. The car wouldl spin tires up to 70mph, I even almost crashed once at the track agaisnt the wall.
RWD is a biatch if you have a lot of HP/TQ. My Z06 was fun but scary, the Evo is fun and safe. Anyways, summary, I think I recommend AWD over RWD.

Carlos

Last edited by fromWRXtoEVO; Mar 6, 2010 at 06:30 PM.
Old Mar 6, 2010, 06:13 PM
Evolved Member

Received 32 Likes on 14 Posts
I love the look of a 350z and the sound of the engine. Can't beat the EVO though.
Old Mar 6, 2010, 07:29 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have seen vids of the 2JZ S2000 but never in person. I couldn't imagine anyone driving one of those things.... talk about a rolling death trap. Those things are tail happy stock with no torque!! ..... but fun

yeah I dig that. High hp rwd's tend to want to go sideways from what I have seen at the track, PINKS, and my own experience. That's why I feel like awd ftw. Rwd and fwd don't make great high hp cars as awd drive imo.

I agree I feel like the 350 is more for looks. Slow and couldn't keep up with my early model 325i. Maybe pushing it a tad with that statement, but really the 350 seems to be just for looks imo. Hear good things about the s2000 though. Anybody Seen the 2jz s2k swaps out there?
Old Mar 6, 2010, 07:52 PM

Originally Posted by DeeezNuuuts83
Exactly. When a Super Snake actually costs more than a GT-R but will get spanked by one brutally in damn near every measurable aspect of performance, if you're not a Mustang enthusiast then there is no reason to own that car, unless you like bragging about a 750 hp ride that is slower than virtually every other two-door sports car with the GT-R's horsepower or greater, but still less than 750.

That aside, it just started raining where I live in Southern California, and I feel encouraged to drive right now for fun, haha. Z owners probably don't share that opinion.
I know right Lmao. Idk if anybody has caught the lame Zmax commercial on Speed showing the super snake, but everytime I see it I laugh. Indeed you would have to be into mustangs to even find that acceptable to drive over things that can be had for that price. Sooo much horse power, but yet can be walked, by bus lengths, by cars with a fraction of the price tag and hp. Smh.

Oh yeah have fun out there. Lol
Old Mar 6, 2010, 07:57 PM
Evolving Member

@jeff I agree I hear they handle well, but like I said in order for it to perform you would need to put an extreme amount of $$ into it. I know a guy who Drives a wicked wrx ($27k into it) wants to do his Z but has seen too many vq35's blow to go through with it. So I agree the Evo does have more all around only thing the z has on the Evo is possibly interior to the most minor degree at that.
If you can live with about 300hp at the wheels and that satisfies your needs then a 350 is not a bad choice. I was able to outdrive many sti and wrx owners around tracks but never really asked them how far they were modded.

Another negative though about the 350 is you have to choose whether you want to track it or drag it. the car will not set up both ways as far as suspension and what not goes. Any negative camber in the rear and traction is gone, even on 285 tires.
Old Mar 6, 2010, 08:01 PM
Evolving Member

I forgot to mention I was dead even with a 550 whp g35 last year at the road course with my 400whp evo and that was the first time I ever had it on the track. The g35 was running 18 pounds of boost on twin greedy 16g turbos. All in all he has 40000 into the car about 30000 of it into motor alone.

Jeff
Old Mar 6, 2010, 08:03 PM

Originally Posted by fromWRXtoEVO
I sold my C6 Z06 with 560whp/510lb-tq and I feared crashing it several times. The car wouldl spin tires up to 70mph, I even almost crashed once at the track agaisnt the wall.
RWD is a biatch if you have a lot of HP/TQ. My Z06 was fun but scary, the Evo is fun and safe. Anyways, summary, I think I recommend AWD over RWD.

Carlos
yeah I have driven my uncles c5 and it's just below what your numbers were. It was fun, but I'm not afraid..I'm respectful, more so, of the power there and the tendency of high hp rwd cars to want to go sideways on you. That's why I feel like I rwd and fwd aren't great high hp cars..all the time.
Old Mar 6, 2010, 08:06 PM

Originally Posted by davidbuschur
I love the look of a 350z and the sound of the engine. Can't beat the EVO though.
my point exactly. I wish the people in this thread took place in a very similar debate two weeks ago..
Old Mar 6, 2010, 08:20 PM

Originally Posted by tdubbz
I have seen vids of the 2JZ S2000 but never in person. I couldn't imagine anyone driving one of those things.... talk about a rolling death trap. Those things are tail happy stock with no torque!! ..... but fun
yeah same. The vid I saw was the s2k running 9lbs and I expected the video to end in tragedy, but it was kind of an over before it started deal so It ended good lol they are insanely fast almost too fast for
me to enjoy racing. I hopefully peopl out there don't look at that as a potential daily driver. Lol
Old Mar 6, 2010, 08:28 PM
Evolved Member

This is more 350Z vs Evo than 'AWD vs RWD'

As for AWD vs RWD:

Once a car reaches about 600hp and 2000lbs (or even more extreme), understeer overwhelms its traction advantage, at least with current technology

Also, traction issue isnt too much of a problem when you are running on gigantic racing slicks, your car has like no torque (but instead rev to 10-11k) and engine is in the middle-rear

But of course this leaves to financial issues, only such cars are from Formula 1, LMP1 and LMP2, and few select million+ dollar limited production cars.
Old Mar 6, 2010, 08:29 PM

Originally Posted by atkins
I forgot to mention I was dead even with a 550 whp g35 last year at the road course with my 400whp evo and that was the first time I ever had it on the track. The g35 was running 18 pounds of boost on twin greedy 16g turbos. All in all he has 40000 into the car about 30000 of it into motor alone.

Jeff
I figured as much. I just don't see a car doing exceedingly well in either without lacking in another area.

$30k is ridiculous. In a good and bad way. If he has been following nissan he should have known that he could have had the most superior Nissan I know of. Good thing is at least he has a wicked setup lol..for how long is the question..
Old Mar 7, 2010, 12:28 AM
Evolved Member

Received 32 Likes on 14 Posts
Something to keep in mind too, the RWD platform is usually mixed with someone not smart enough to put a really good tire on the car. My Shelby on stock tires was useless until nearly the top of 2nd gear, even on a decently prepped dragstrip. Putting on a real set of tires cured that to the point of it being tough to spin the tires. Even on the street it hooks very-very good. This is a 12.00 car.
Old Mar 7, 2010, 11:20 AM

Originally Posted by davidbuschur
Something to keep in mind too, the RWD platform is usually mixed with someone not smart enough to put a really good tire on the car. My Shelby on stock tires was useless until nearly the top of 2nd gear, even on a decently prepped dragstrip. Putting on a real set of tires cured that to the point of it being tough to spin the tires. Even on the street it hooks very-very good. This is a 12.00 car.
Oh nice. Yeah I agree.
Old Mar 7, 2010, 11:32 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
ive driven numerous rwd cars and none of them compared to driving an evo or even riding in one at that. awd is where its at in my opinion

Quick Reply: AWD/RWD Pros and Cons