Notices
EvoM New Member / FAQs / EvoM Rules New member? Come on in, introduce yourself, and get acquainted with the evolutionm.net posse :) FAQs will also be answered in here.

AWD/RWD Pros and Cons

Search this Thread

Old Mar 4, 2010, 11:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
AWD/RWD Pros and Cons

I'm not trying to bring chaos into discussion. I'm looking to getting something else pretty soon. I've been looking at the Evo since before I could even drive. Lately I've been looking at a 350z though. I've contemplated both. I'm left with one being a cramped coupe and the other having room for four. Most of all I'm looking down the not so distant future as having it modified. I feel like the Evo would be a better track car circuit wise and drag as well. On the other hand a twin turbo 350z would seem to have a greater range of power through the rpms and (top end possibly) rather than having the lag of just one
turbo. At the same time I think for a 350z to not be as slow as it is stock would need about $20,000 put into it after it's all said and down with the twins, supporting mods, etc. I'm all for the Evo though as well. I'm concerned if I will be happy with the end product performance wise.
Old Mar 4, 2010, 11:34 PM
Evolving Member

Take it from someone who went from a 350 to an evo. You will put more then 30000 into a 350 to do it right or as little as 10000 into an evo to match it pound for pound

Jeff
Old Mar 4, 2010, 11:46 PM
Evolved Member

Received 126 Likes on 121 Posts
I think you are going to have a tough time finding a car with more bang for the buck out of the box than an evo. Not to mention the fact that thanks to all the aftermarket support for the car crazy amounts of power can be had for very little in comparison to other cars.
Old Mar 4, 2010, 11:48 PM

Originally Posted by atkins
Take it from someone who went from a 350 to an evo. You will put more then 30000 into a 350 to do it right or as little as 10000 into an evo to match it pound for pound

Jeff
exactly what I thought..
really do you have a short list necessary for a setup on one?
Old Mar 5, 2010, 12:05 AM

Originally Posted by heel2toe
I think you are going to have a tough time finding a car with more bang for the buck out of the box than an evo. Not to mention the fact that thanks to all the aftermarket support for the car crazy amounts of power can be had for very little in comparison to other cars.
exactly, because the main thing for me is that I wouldn't put more
into a car when I can put it towards another car. Seems like a 350 done right would put me around $40-50k for a mod that's almost equivalent to putting down for an M3. I don't believe in spennding the same amount for a mod path that would cost as much as the car it self for not much power. That's why the Evo has done it for me everytime I contemplate another car. Really I would like to see some views on awd and rwd.
Old Mar 5, 2010, 02:19 AM
vd
Evolving Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
RWD and AWD are two all different worlds in terms of fun and usability. As for me - AWD fast car with great handling and tuning potential (like an Evo) is easily usable everyday happiness. While RWD car can give you much sharper feelings on the track or much more fun when doing donuts or burnouts, but you'll pay for that each time it is wet or snowing outside, as well as most likely be not so fast (compared to AWD) in most real-life situations.

As for RWD - I believe S2000 should be considered as well, as it is really fast fun to drive car which has really great handling and good potential for the tuning (turbo S2000 have enormous amounts of power mostly due to excellent cylinder head engineering).

Anyway, Evo - rules (at least for me).
Old Mar 5, 2010, 08:37 AM

Originally Posted by vd
RWD and AWD are two all different worlds in terms of fun and usability. As for me - AWD fast car with great handling and tuning potential (like an Evo) is easily usable everyday happiness. While RWD car can give you much sharper feelings on the track or much more fun when doing donuts or burnouts, but you'll pay for that each time it is wet or snowing outside, as well as most likely be not so fast (compared to AWD) in most real-life situations.

As for RWD - I believe S2000 should be considered as well, as it is really fast fun to drive car which has really great handling and good potential for the tuning (turbo S2000 have enormous amounts of power mostly due to excellent cylinder head engineering).

Anyway, Evo - rules (at least for me).
Yeah I rwd in anything more than dry conditions leaves me leary of modding one let alone owning one above stock levels. I can't imagine having anything over 300hp that was rwd. As for the S2000 I though about it, but my first car was a modded 97' prelude, and for some reason I told myself I would go near another honda probably ever again. Aren't S2000 right around the same price that I can have a IX for? Haven't checked lately..
Old Mar 5, 2010, 08:44 AM
Evolving Member

best rwd i have to say must be a supra or a turbo'd is300 great handling and great power!

but i must say evo beats everything in any way. why just have 2wd when you can have AWD Worst comes to worst i think buschur offers a RWD conversion kit?
Old Mar 5, 2010, 08:45 AM

Originally Posted by atkins

Jeff
So other than the Evo being a wicked car regardless what made you switch from 350 to Evo? Would you say the Z is more for looks than speed? The way I see it the top-of-the-line Z, nismo, isn't even doing much for performance.
Old Mar 5, 2010, 08:45 AM
Account Disabled

go with the evo. I dare someone to find another car to match the:

Bang for the Buck
All Out Performance
Aftermarket Support
...... you get my point.
Old Mar 5, 2010, 08:49 AM

Originally Posted by Lowso
best rwd i have to say must be a supra or a turbo'd is300 great handling and great power!

but i must say evo beats everything in any way. why just have 2wd when you can have AWD Worst comes to worst i think buschur offers a RWD conversion kit?
Yeah who wouldn't want a supra people just ask for outrageous prices when they even have an NA version that isn't ran into the ground or remotely in good condition. So I say with that extra $10-20k that people try to justify for it being rare..I would just have an Evo that would blow a supra outta tha watta for just about or significantly less than what most ask for lol
Old Mar 5, 2010, 08:52 AM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by brooklynbo122
Yeah who wouldn't want a supra people just ask for outrageous prices when they even have an NA version that isn't ran into the ground or remotely in good condition. So I say with that extra $10-20k that people try to justify for it being rare..I would just have an Evo that would blow a supra outta tha watta for just about or significantly less than what most ask for lol

Also don't forget about all the 12second 600hp supras out there. My buddy has one with about 415whp which is what I have and he's in the high 12's and low 13's. my best was an 11.4
Old Mar 5, 2010, 08:53 AM

Originally Posted by Evogirl80
go with the evo. I dare someone to find another car to match the:

Bang for the Buck
All Out Performance
Aftermarket Support
...... you get my point.
Exactly right..when you pretty much have a car that can outperform most "supercars" or at least hang with them for a fraction of the cost you truly have something good on your hands..

Yes I do..lol its just when you are set on a choice you almost always consider something else and try to justify that other choice.
Old Mar 5, 2010, 08:57 AM

Originally Posted by Evogirl80
Also don't forget about all the 12second 600hp supras out there. My buddy has one with about 415whp which is what I have and he's in the high 12's and low 13's. my best was an 11.4
Yeah I didn't forget..I actually live down the street from a guy that slowly turned his NA supra to something wicked..I saw and heard him pulling from an intersection and needless to say it wasn't so NA anymore..far from it.

So pretty much you're still doing better than your buddy I take it..?
Old Mar 5, 2010, 09:01 AM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by brooklynbo122
Exactly right..when you pretty much have a car that can outperform most "supercars" or at least hang with them for a fraction of the cost you truly have something good on your hands..

Yes I do..lol its just when you are set on a choice you almost always consider something else and try to justify that other choice.

I completely agree but I honestly can't think of a car to match my Evo. I came from an RSX-S that I swore I was gonna turbo and was glad I didn't. I driven 350z's, S2000s, mustangs....blah, blah, blah. None of them had the all around performance of the Evo. The only big thing people can really get hung up on is the fact that it sucks in the interior quality department if you're looking for luxury. If performance is what you're after then forget about it. One of the things that makes the Evo so great is it's over-engineered parts. Heavy Duty drivetrain, cast iron block with forged internals, stiff suspension, well flowing stock parts that may only need some porting...... there is so much power potential for these cars before you need to think about opening up the motor.

Quick Reply: AWD/RWD Pros and Cons