Notices
EvoM New Member / FAQs / EvoM Rules New member? Come on in, introduce yourself, and get acquainted with the evolutionm.net posse :) FAQs will also be answered in here.

New Owner of an Evo 8! But want a 9!

Search this Thread

Old Mar 9, 2010, 12:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New Owner of an Evo 8! But want a 9!

Hi, I'm new here and pretty much new to everything.

A couple weeks ago I purchased what I believe to be a 2003 Evo 8 GSR/SSL with 59,000 miles. It came with a couple of modifications (testpipe, 3inch exhaust, downpipe, intake, springs, racing clutch, and a turbo timer)

I checked out someone's Evo 9 and I love the interior of it, it's just better, haha. Now I was wondering if there was any interest in people actually wanting to trade an older 8 for a 9? My local craigslist (Bay Area, CA) doesn't seem to have any for trade. However I have yet to check the dealer.
Old Mar 9, 2010, 04:10 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by RavioliArt
Hi, I'm new here and pretty much new to everything.

A couple weeks ago I purchased what I believe to be a 2003 Evo 8 GSR/SSL with 59,000 miles. It came with a couple of modifications (testpipe, 3inch exhaust, downpipe, intake, springs, racing clutch, and a turbo timer)

I checked out someone's Evo 9 and I love the interior of it, it's just better, haha. Now I was wondering if there was any interest in people actually wanting to trade an older 8 for a 9? My local craigslist (Bay Area, CA) doesn't seem to have any for trade. However I have yet to check the dealer.
I don't think you will get any trades. I would say enjoy your 8. Just because the interior is different wouldn't be my only reason for getting one, unless you want to be sitting in it for a while like myself,
Old Mar 9, 2010, 04:37 AM

Thats suck i do like the 9s alot better and the reason why i didnt get an evo 8 was because of the crappy interior also the evo 9 does better with mods than the 8 so if theres a chance you can change an 8 for a 9 take it.
Old Mar 9, 2010, 05:00 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by ZeroEvo89
Thats suck i do like the 9s alot better and the reason why i didnt get an evo 8 was because of the crappy interior also the evo 9 does better with mods than the 8 so if theres a chance you can change an 8 for a 9 take it.
Its basically seats I think. But yeah the 9's interior is more desirable. But whose saying the 9's do better with mods? The 9 for the most part has a "redesigned" head that flows better and uses mivec. (Mitsubishi innovative valve electronic control) I think thats what it stands for. Once after-market camshafts are installed it negates the effect of MIVEC and maybe even makes tuning a bit easier and more effective?

Ive also always been under the impression that the VIII's were a bit MORE responsive to mods and a lot of the higher HP Evo's out there are VIII's.

Save your cash and get a couple mods youll be happy. Unless you got money burning a hole in your pocket ya know?

Enjoy the evo and welcome!

-Ethan
Old Mar 9, 2010, 05:20 AM
Evolved Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Just buy the seats, the steering wheel and dash pieces. Save yourself the headache of having to trade cars. I have an 03 with the IX seats. Makes a huge difference in looks.

Old Mar 9, 2010, 05:24 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by ZeroEvo89

i dont really agree with that!!!

but you can do what i did and get some fabric dye, its kinda like spray paint, and do the inside of the seats black, it looks a lot better in my opinion then the blue, but its still not red stitched or whatever!!

the camera messes with the suede a little, it looks a lot better in person!!
Old Mar 9, 2010, 05:32 AM
FJF
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by ethan169
The 9 for the most part has a "redesigned" head that flows better and uses mivec. (Mitsubishi innovative valve electronic control) I think thats what it stands for. Once after-market camshafts are installed it negates the effect of MIVEC and maybe even makes tuning a bit easier and more effective?
Not really. MIVEC (mostly) works on the bottom, while cams work on top. MIVEC equipped cars can also run more boost safely due to the added cooling passages. The IXs also have a bigger hotside and a revised ECU.

Ive also always been under the impression that the VIII's were a bit MORE responsive to mods and a lot of the higher HP Evo's out there are VIII's.
A IX responds better to basic performance mods like TBE/MBC/Tune. Once the owner decides to rebuild the car, it doesn't really matter, though I suspect that some of that is due to a lack of R&D. Witness BR's recent MIVEC thread.

Last edited by FJF; Mar 9, 2010 at 05:54 AM.
Old Mar 9, 2010, 06:32 AM
Evolving Member

another upside for the 9 is that it has a front limited slip, whereas the 8 does not.

If you like the seats just buy a pair. Evo seats (8 or 9) are pretty hot on the market, ive seen them in S4's, Porsche's, ect.
Old Mar 9, 2010, 09:52 AM
Evolved Member

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by evremonde
another upside for the 9 is that it has a front limited slip, whereas the 8 does not.
Well, the '04 RS has the front LSD, as do all '05 models.
Old Mar 9, 2010, 10:30 AM
Evolved Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by DeeezNuuuts83
Well, the '04 RS has the front LSD, as do all '05 models.
+1 in my 05
Old Mar 9, 2010, 08:53 PM

haha... great, makes me want a 9 even more now
Old Mar 10, 2010, 12:08 AM

Sorry for the double post, but I hope someone could shed some light on double din kits. So I searched around and found this: http://cgi.ebay.com/Mitsubishi-EVO-D...item27afda335a

and this

http://www.japanparts.com/db/parts_d...=71&submit.y=4

Now do I need the cage that comes with the Facia kit? or do I simply just grab the jdm panel for less money?

I'm looking to install the Pioneer AVIC-Z110BT, if that helps!
Old Mar 10, 2010, 06:42 PM
Evolved Member

I woulda just gave the car back to whoever you got it from (dealer i'm assuming).
Old Mar 10, 2010, 07:17 PM

Private owner