Notices
EvoM New Member / FAQs / EvoM Rules New member? Come on in, introduce yourself, and get acquainted with the evolutionm.net posse :) FAQs will also be answered in here.

About to buy a 2010 GSR

Search this Thread

Old Mar 27, 2010, 09:18 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
About to buy a 2010 GSR

Ladies and gents,

I am about to buy my first EVO, a 2010 GSR, with the SSS package. I have a 2007 STi, which is staying in the family. I quite like the idea of having the two great rivals to compare back to back!

Having called around the local dealers, in the S.E., I am now talking to South Coast in California with a view to shipping a car from there. Any advice on this process? I am a little worried about the paperwork and the potential delay in getting the car.

I have been browsing around the FAQ's and the newbie intro stuff, and will probably do some minor mods once it is broken in. I really wanted to tow my sportbikes with the Evo, but have found little to encourage me to do this, Scooby owners seem to do this a lot more, and have several options for tow bars, so will probably go that route.

Despite NEVER having sat in an Evo, I am looking forward to the Evo experience, and will be doing lots more reading through the forum archives.

Jim M.
Old Mar 27, 2010, 09:57 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
hey im in NC and recently purchased a 2010 Evo X GSR w SSS from South Coast..I had it shipped thru DAS(dependable auto shippers). It took about a month to get here due to bad weather delays..I ended up driving to ATL to pick it up and it cost me 700 to have it in an enclosed trailer..wasnt too bad. way cheaper than going with the dealers around us...good luck
Old Mar 28, 2010, 09:35 AM

Wow... was the delay all in the shipping, in that the car was picked up promptly, but was delayed en route?

Was the whole paperwork process, getting it registered, tags, paying taxes, straightforward?

4 weeks will test my patience

Jim M.
Old Mar 30, 2010, 09:17 AM

one word of advice... DON'T esp if you're planning on heavily modding it. the 4b11t has yet to prove itself against the reliability/ dependability of the 4g63 IMO.
Old Mar 30, 2010, 09:23 AM
Evolved Member

^ Hahah, are you sure you've done your research? Do some more reading please:

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...wo-566whp.html

The 4G63 motor is a great one-of-a-kind engine, but the 4B11T is just as capable and can be pushed even further.

Last edited by tipoytm; Mar 30, 2010 at 09:25 AM.
Old Mar 30, 2010, 09:59 AM

Originally Posted by tipoytm
^ Hahah, are you sure you've done your research? Do some more reading please:

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...wo-566whp.html

The 4G63 motor is a great one-of-a-kind engine, but the 4B11T is just as capable and can be pushed even further.

like I said that's just my opinion... and that X is just one example of a sucess story... I wonder how many stock 4b11T's out there have not held up under similar circumstances.
Old Mar 30, 2010, 10:10 AM
Evolved Member

^ All stock 4B11Ts have the same parts from the factory. Ryan's stock 4B11T internals are no different from any other engine on any EvoX. As long as anyone who modifies his/her X does it properly and get it tuned with a reputable shop will get the same reliability (most of the time). You don't need to speculate how the engine holds up with other X owners, just read the X forums and you can find out for yourself. Really tired of the X/4B11T bashers out there who "speculate" too much and stating their own opinions like they are facts (I see a lot of that here under the newbie section).

Last edited by tipoytm; Mar 30, 2010 at 10:17 AM.
Old Mar 30, 2010, 10:19 AM

point well taken... and I don't think I could've made it more clear that the previous statements were my opinion and not facts...
Old Mar 30, 2010, 10:27 AM
Evolved Member

I know you said it's just your opinion... but you came in strongly by initially saying "DON'T" (get an X). It's like saying the X is cow dung, and anyone with a nose (or brain) should stay away from it. Before anyone slaps in any advice to new peeps here, I strongly suggest you do your research first.

It gets old seeing people bashing the 4B11T (and the X) but with no real substance or facts to back it up.

Last edited by tipoytm; Mar 30, 2010 at 10:32 AM.
Old Mar 30, 2010, 10:33 AM

I see what you're sayin, and I'll keep that in mind next time, being as I'm a noob myself (to the forum, not nessecarily the scene).
Old Mar 31, 2010, 08:24 AM

I won't be modding it heavily; it will take whatever minor tweaks I throw at it! Still haven't tied down a deal, and have to buy today!
Old Mar 31, 2010, 08:29 AM
Evolved Member

i wouldnt touch a new evo with a 10 foot pole... i hope you did your research my mann...
-2010 sti "limited" is 33k. mitsubishi warranty sucks ***.
Old Mar 31, 2010, 08:38 AM
Account Disabled

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2010 GSR,,, rock it man,,, just take it easy,, break it in properly and drive her and enjoy.
Old Mar 31, 2010, 09:00 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by blkmkIII
i wouldnt touch a new evo with a 10 foot pole... i hope you did your research my mann...
-2010 sti "limited" is 33k. mitsubishi warranty sucks ***.
Everyone has different experiences with Mitsu warranty, I for one have zero problems so far (having owned two), and so do a lot of other owners. If you mod your powertrain/drivetrain and that caused your car to fail (due to improper modding), then sure, Mitsu has the right (and they should) to refuse warranty work. You gotta pay to play. This is the same for other brands too, don't tell me that Subaru will accept warranty work if you mod your engine and that caused the engine's failure... everyone and their mom knows that's just BS.
Old Mar 31, 2010, 09:22 AM

Oh... something else that affects my choice... my company is kind enough to pay me a car allowance, and I get to choose my own car. They don't pay for a car over three years old. So an older Evo is out. Nice problem to have, though :-)

I seriously considered another STi, but I just cannot get used to the looks. I know that is 100% subjective, and I can't say I really like the Evo either, but I do prefer it to the STi. And there is definitely an appeal to having both to compare.

Jim M.

Quick Reply: About to buy a 2010 GSR