Notices
EvoM New Member / FAQs / EvoM Rules New member? Come on in, introduce yourself, and get acquainted with the evolutionm.net posse :) FAQs will also be answered in here.

Trading in for an Evo 8. Opinions?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 31, 2010, 07:26 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
05 with 30K miles for 22k seems a tad high, but such low miles... it would be like a new car!
Old Mar 31, 2010, 08:17 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
maintenance should be reasonable for a DD as long as u dont beat on it too much....i've had my 03 for 2 years now and so far I've changed the clutch and flywheel once, brakes twice and all drivetrain fluids twice. besides that it hasn't broken my pocket yet. I'm running a few bolt ons (intake, TBE, hks 272's) and a reflash and have no complaints
Old Mar 31, 2010, 09:00 AM
Evolving Member

price is kinda high. I paid 16500 for my 03 evo viii but it also has a few more miles on it. other than changing the oil and a few tires, it hasnt cost me anything more than gas. it all depends on how you drive it as to how much its going to cost you in the long run.

I use my for a daily driver commuting 80miles a day, only thing is it might cost you more for gas, getting 22mpg on 93 oct.

Dan
Old Mar 31, 2010, 09:13 AM

yeah get a Evo IX
Old Mar 31, 2010, 09:42 AM
Evolved Member

In my personal experience, maintaining a Japanese car is typically less painful on the pocketbook than a German car (ex Audi owner).

It sounds like you're going to keep it pretty mild (we'll see how long that lasts) so you can expect maintenance costs that are in line with most other Japanese cars. Also, if you do some of the work yourself (oil changes, etc.) you'll realize much greater savings.

That being said, this car isn't a Corolla and when things need servicing/replacing there may be greater costs (tranfer cases, clutch jobs, etc). But if you reference one of the threads here you'll see one of the members has gone 200K miles without any major catastrophy.

Definitely look into a IX at your price point.
Old Mar 31, 2010, 09:44 AM
Evolved Member

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
z1wap:

It will definitely be a good upgrade. If you're serious about wanting a fun car, it's going to be a good choice, though like people have said, there are better deals out there. I have worked at a dealership where we regular had E46 3-Series in our used inventory so I'm more than familiar with them (plus my boss's girlfriend who is also our secretary drives a 330ci that I ride in at least once a week), and the difference in comfort isn't anything worth complaining about. Let's not forget how those leather seats can crack and lose their softness in a few years (if they aren't already).

Seeing how you live in Long Beach, I'd say it's worth it for you to drive to South Coast Mitsubishi in Costa Mesa for your services, as they discount maintenance services by a good amount. (As a side note, the owner of that dealership also owns Huntington Beach Mitsubishi, Long Beach Mitsubishi and Victorville Mitsubishi.) Synthetic oil changes tend to be more expensive, but SCM will do it for $39.95 (more or less at cost for the Mobil 1 oil and filter), plus their 15k, 30k and 60k mile services are also discounted quite a bit.

Like other people have said, if you don't beat on the car, it shouldn't be a headache, assuming you are not living paycheck-to-paycheck (though I could still afford it when I was doing so since I had money saved up). Even your tire options for the car are reasonably priced (and easier to deal with than a BMW since all four are the same size rather than staggered). Your BMW will probably be an EASIER daily driver, but that doesn't mean that the Evo is going to be harsh (assuming you're not 50+ years old). I've still managed 27+ mpg in my bone stock Evo IX SE while usually getting somewhere between 19-21 mpg, which is reasonable.

Just keep in mind that insurance will be higher!
Old Mar 31, 2010, 10:58 AM

Originally Posted by DeeezNuuuts83
z1wap:

It will definitely be a good upgrade. If you're serious about wanting a fun car, it's going to be a good choice, though like people have said, there are better deals out there. I have worked at a dealership where we regular had E46 3-Series in our used inventory so I'm more than familiar with them (plus my boss's girlfriend who is also our secretary drives a 330ci that I ride in at least once a week), and the difference in comfort isn't anything worth complaining about. Let's not forget how those leather seats can crack and lose their softness in a few years (if they aren't already).

Seeing how you live in Long Beach, I'd say it's worth it for you to drive to South Coast Mitsubishi in Costa Mesa for your services, as they discount maintenance services by a good amount. (As a side note, the owner of that dealership also owns Huntington Beach Mitsubishi, Long Beach Mitsubishi and Victorville Mitsubishi.) Synthetic oil changes tend to be more expensive, but SCM will do it for $39.95 (more or less at cost for the Mobil 1 oil and filter), plus their 15k, 30k and 60k mile services are also discounted quite a bit.

Like other people have said, if you don't beat on the car, it shouldn't be a headache, assuming you are not living paycheck-to-paycheck (though I could still afford it when I was doing so since I had money saved up). Even your tire options for the car are reasonably priced (and easier to deal with than a BMW since all four are the same size rather than staggered). Your BMW will probably be an EASIER daily driver, but that doesn't mean that the Evo is going to be harsh (assuming you're not 50+ years old). I've still managed 27+ mpg in my bone stock Evo IX SE while usually getting somewhere between 19-21 mpg, which is reasonable.

Just keep in mind that insurance will be higher!
How much higher would you say the insurance is for the evo than the bmw? I'm paying about 2500 a year right now.
Old Mar 31, 2010, 11:04 AM
Evolving Member

insurance is going to vary depending on your age, driving history, whether your single or married and your credit.

I'm paying 976 a year on my evo for full coverage including glass.
Old Mar 31, 2010, 11:05 AM
Evolved Member

It depends... though generally speaking, the Evo (regardless of year) tends to be among the most expensive vehicles to insure.

Originally Posted by iicemanr6
insurance is going to vary depending on your age, driving history, whether your single or married and your credit.
Insurance in California is not credit-based, so in this situation, it won't affect the OP.
Old Mar 31, 2010, 11:13 AM

It depends... though generally speaking, the Evo (regardless of year) tends to be among the most expensive vehicles to insure.

Insurance in California is not credit-based, so in this situation, it won't affect the OP.
Also how is the clutch on the evo? Is it an easy clutch or tricky like found on the g35? Is it light or heavy?
Old Mar 31, 2010, 11:15 AM
Evolved Member

The clutch is pretty stiff for a stock clutch, especially in comparison to your car at the G35. (I test drove a Nissan 370Z a few months ago, and that clutch felt like nothing to me.) However, I do prefer the feel of the stock Evo clutch, but that's just me. I've driven a number of manual transmission cars and actually learned on a 2000 Honda Civic, so my preference isn't based on a limited range.

Did you check your PMs?
Old Mar 31, 2010, 11:30 AM

The clutch is pretty stiff for a stock clutch, especially in comparison to your car at the G35. (I test drove a Nissan 370Z a few months ago, and that clutch felt like nothing to me.) However, I do prefer the feel of the stock Evo clutch, but that's just me. I've driven a number of manual transmission cars and actually learned on a 2000 Honda Civic, so my preference isn't based on a limited range.

Did you check your PMs?
Yes I have and I will get back to you about the insurance. thanks man.

BTW is the clutch thrown long on the evo?
Old Mar 31, 2010, 11:35 AM
Evolved Member

^ I don't think so... but its travel is a good length in my opinion. I remember my brother's Civic (which I had mentioned that I learned stick on) had such a short travel, which was easy, but not necessary good for precision.
Old Mar 31, 2010, 08:47 PM

I would say go with the evo, do you have the sale ad? Post it up on here to see as to why its 22k.
Old Apr 1, 2010, 02:12 AM

Originally Posted by 2slow4u
I would say go with the evo, do you have the sale ad? Post it up on here to see as to why its 22k.
I'm not sure on how to post the sales add from cars.com so if anyone can please post it for me that would be greatly appreciated. I will post instructions on to find which car I am talking about.

If you go onto cars.com and under used cars search up the mitsubishi lancer evolution and put 50 miles from the zip code 90807. It will be the blue lancer evolution on the second page. Its heading says 2005 mitsubishi lancer evolution MR. It says 30,494 miles for 21,998. Sold at carmax riverside ca.

Last edited by z1wap; Apr 1, 2010 at 02:38 AM.

Quick Reply: Trading in for an Evo 8. Opinions?