Notices
EvoM New Member / FAQs / EvoM Rules New member? Come on in, introduce yourself, and get acquainted with the evolutionm.net posse :) FAQs will also be answered in here.

Making the switch from the LS1 crowd... possibly.

Search this Thread

Old May 7, 2010, 03:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Making the switch from the LS1 crowd... possibly.

Hey guys, pretty much new here, but have lurked a little for a few years. I've pretty much been into the LTx/LSx scene for quite a while and just recently sold my Camaro SS swearing to myself that I would try something new, something different.

I am not brand loyal by any means. If it's fast, looks good and has an aftermarket, I'm a fan. I've always liked the Evo's a ton but never really looked into them. Until now. I've been reading through all of your stickies concerning differences in model years, performance potential, modding, etc... and it's all quite overwhelming to be honest. Lot's of information and terms that I'm still getting used to.

From what I've read, I'd like to find an 06 Evo. It seems low mile ones are in the low 20's for price, which is fine. I guess my biggest questions are regarding performance and weak links. I am wanting to be able to run high 10's. My WS6 that I had ran low 11's so I'm looking to one up that. These cars from what I've read run mid 13's stock. So what am I looking at to get myself into the low 11's/high 10's? Reliably.

Also considering an 03/04 Cobra.

What are your guys' experience in running with LS cars and Cobras?

Thanks!
Old May 7, 2010, 03:46 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I suggest you check the Tune/Dyno Section, as many posts include the shop, mods, and quite frequently time slips.

I own a basically stock evo, so I can't speak to reliability.

All the answers to your questions are here, but as you said, it is a daunting task to sort through all the information.

My personal opinion: get a Cobra if you just want to build a drag car. But lots of people drag Evos. I feel they are a better track/autox car that is very competitive stock, and with some cash in mods hard to beat especially in terms of value/performance.
Old May 7, 2010, 04:36 PM

Originally Posted by dave_evolvix
I suggest you check the Tune/Dyno Section, as many posts include the shop, mods, and quite frequently time slips.

I own a basically stock evo, so I can't speak to reliability.

All the answers to your questions are here, but as you said, it is a daunting task to sort through all the information.

My personal opinion: get a Cobra if you just want to build a drag car. But lots of people drag Evos. I feel they are a better track/autox car that is very competitive stock, and with some cash in mods hard to beat especially in terms of value/performance.
Thanks for the response. Yeah, I'm not looking to strictly build a drag car. It will be a street car first and foremost. I've done the big HP straight line stuff. It's fun, and I still want speed in a straight line but I want the car to be able to do more than that.
Old May 7, 2010, 04:43 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
go to the engine portion of this forum and check the thread about the guy running 10.88 on the stock engine/turbo. his driving probably got him in the 10's but his mods can be had for less than $4-5k. he is running VERY high boost on e-85, but still impressive to say the least.
Old May 7, 2010, 04:48 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Drag car check this out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ImtyG...layer_embedded

How about some track time.

Watch in 720p full screen!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VsChK...ayer_embedded#!

Last edited by ak47po; May 7, 2010 at 04:54 PM.
Old May 7, 2010, 05:08 PM
Evolved Member

I have an 06 IX MR, the trans is the weak link in these cars when it comes to modded ones. Even the 5spds dont last long if youre modded, but they are better than the 6spd's by a lot.

Common problems I had, which are all resolved now, were boost leaks from intercooler pipe couplers and I replaced my throttle body shaft seals. All you need is a good quality t-bolt clamp on your couplers and thatll fix the boost leak problems, and being sure the pipes are properly aligned so that theres no strange bends or harsh angles.
Old May 7, 2010, 07:05 PM

Cool guys, thanks for the info.
Old May 7, 2010, 07:37 PM
Evolving Member

I think if you want to get into the 10's you're gonna have a very high-boost, high strung car with a not very smooth clutch. It's not gonna be as streetable as a v8.
Old May 7, 2010, 07:47 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
yea I would have to agree the trans is the weakest.. especially in a drag setting, you will be putting a great amount of stress on the trans when launching from a stop
Old May 7, 2010, 08:21 PM
Evolved Member

I dont think the trans is weak. I think there are a ton of noobs driving harder than they should. Learn to slip the clutch. Save the TC
If you want to run 10s reliably, the weakest link will be the stock block. Sure it can be done for a while, some have great success. But, obviously, you understand that you have to mod the car.
Old May 7, 2010, 09:29 PM
Evolved Member

No, really, the transmissions just suck. Thats a straight up fact in the Evo world. The motor is at godlike status, the transmission is garbage. Its not always the driver. Theres always going to be idiots who just dump the clutch on a launch, thats their problem.

The 6spd is rated at 280 lb/ft, so basically mod the car at all, and youre testing its limit. They fail from overheating.

The 6spd and 5spd share the same size housing, only the 6spd has an extra gear packed in. So, there is less fluid in the 6spd trans by 0.7 quarts over the 5spd transmission. Less fluid + an extra gear = shot 6spd transmission sooner or later.
Old May 7, 2010, 09:34 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by jy951
I think if you want to get into the 10's you're gonna have a very high-boost, high strung car with a not very smooth clutch. It's not gonna be as streetable as a v8.
Where did you get your info from? 10's in an Evo are basically a cake walk. Theres plenty of daily driven low 11 second/10 second Evo's that are still perfectly comfortable cars to drive that sacrifice next to nothing in terms of reliability. Id take a 10 second Evo over any V8 car any day. Daily driven/street-able, comfortable V8's that are in the 10's are a dime a dozen.
Old May 7, 2010, 09:44 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 17 Likes on 5 Posts
sounds like you'd be better suited with a more drag friendly cobra

can evo's run 10's and be street-able? sure to an extent they can be

but certainly not without some daily driver disadvantages
Old May 8, 2010, 09:23 PM

Well like I said before, the car isn't going to be a DD. I had a low 11 second WS6, 408 Stroker, big cam, heads, bolt ons, 4K stall, that wasn't streetable at all, which is why I only put a few about 2K miles on it in two years. This car will be just like that, a play car. Bad manners don't bother me. Building the bottom end, the tranny, the rest of the car doesnt bother me.

I just like the Evo's, and it looks like it can be a pretty wicked platform to build off of...
Old May 9, 2010, 07:08 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Svendiesel
No, really, the transmissions just suck. Thats a straight up fact in the Evo world. The motor is at godlike status, the transmission is garbage. Its not always the driver. Theres always going to be idiots who just dump the clutch on a launch, thats their problem.

The 6spd is rated at 280 lb/ft, so basically mod the car at all, and youre testing its limit. They fail from overheating.

The 6spd and 5spd share the same size housing, only the 6spd has an extra gear packed in. So, there is less fluid in the 6spd trans by 0.7 quarts over the 5spd transmission. Less fluid + an extra gear = shot 6spd transmission sooner or later.
I disagree with you. Apparently so does John Shepherd. Weak link is the motor

Quick Reply: Making the switch from the LS1 crowd... possibly.