Notices
EvoM New Member / FAQs / EvoM Rules New member? Come on in, introduce yourself, and get acquainted with the evolutionm.net posse :) FAQs will also be answered in here.

Evo 8 or Eclipse GSX?

Search this Thread

Old May 9, 2010, 12:38 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Evo 8 or Eclipse GSX?

I maybe new to the forum but im not new to the DSM Family. Ive been out of the car scene for about 2 years now. My last sports car was a 95 Eclipse GST. I fell in love with it but i had to let her go because of school. Ive been wanting another sports car ever since. Now that im done with school ive been looking at a few 04-06 Evo 8s and a few 95-99 Eclipse GSXs. I want somthing that is alot of fun to drive, has POWER! and has all wheel drive. So i need some help from you guys to help make the right decision. Ive never took a Evo for a test drive or a Eclipse GSX but i would think the GSX is alot like the GST, all but the all wheel drive dif and the weight of the car. I love the way both cars look but the Evo is between $10,000 to $12,000 more then the GSXs ive been looking at. Now i know that the Eclipses are alot older, not as high tech and about 80hp less, but are the Evos really worth the extra money you pay. I dont mind paying the extra money.....but would i be getting my moneys worth? Iam open for all comments and opinions. Thanks for yalls time.

Last edited by Tanman1986; May 9, 2010 at 12:40 PM.
Old May 9, 2010, 01:12 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 17 Likes on 5 Posts
as far as reliability an evo will be a better bet but I'm sure you realize that being they are much newer

the evo is the better car hands down (more practical as well...4 doors as a start)

I doubt you'll find too many people telling you to get a gsx if money isn't an issue
Old May 9, 2010, 01:26 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by chaotichoax
as far as reliability an evo will be a better bet but I'm sure you realize that being they are much newer

the evo is the better car hands down (more practical as well...4 doors as a start)

I doubt you'll find too many people telling you to get a gsx if money isn't an issue
agreed i have 2 eclipses sold one and gearing to get rid of other cant stand them always breaking parts are not cheap and the classic dsm issues germilins starters oil leaking blah blah blah. My evo on the other hand is a soldier of one. I had cracked head and the damn thing still Runs A1 in and out of boost. Pass on old technology and get yourself a evo hommie
Old May 9, 2010, 01:35 PM
Evolved Member

Received 126 Likes on 121 Posts
My opinion may be biased however I dont think a GSX can be compared to an evo. Sure they are both AWD and have a 4G63 but the similarities end there. As you mentioned the evo is going to cost about 10 grand more upfront however the car is about 10 years newer in comparison to the eclipse. With that being said if you find yourself an evo that was properly taken care of, it should be pretty reliable.

Now I do not have a background as a DSMer however Id imagine that owning a car thats over 10 years old now will have problems. Sure you are spending a lot less up front however it can quickly become a money pit.

My last point I'd like to make is regarding performance. They can both be built to be fast however you are going to need to do a lot to the GSX for it to keep up with a stock evo. I am not talking all out power but the whole package. That is why I bought an evo in the first place. There is not a car that I know of that is able to accelerate, turn and brake with ease like an evo.

With all this being said my vote would be for the evo. My advise for you is to take them both for a test drive and see for yourself.
Old May 9, 2010, 01:35 PM

I've had both now and hands down the Evo is already built the way the gsx should be. It was a natural progression IMO that ended with the 4g63 EVO. I do miss the look of the eclipse but it would take just as much $ to make it outperform an Evo.
Old May 9, 2010, 01:38 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Friend has a 37r 2.3L GSX...he said if he could start all over, he would get the Evo without a doubt. He runs into problems every week.

I've had my Evo for 30k miles now, 50k on the odo, not one single problem boosting 29psi daily and still on stock clutch. Nothing has gone wrong, knock on wood.
Old May 9, 2010, 01:42 PM
Evolved Member

coming from the DSM world as well, i have to say the cars are not even comparable. Evo is more reliable, comfort, handling, power, more up to date. Honestly, besides the engine DSM's dont really have any other good things that i can think of.
Old May 9, 2010, 02:25 PM
Evolving Member

Most of the dsm awds you will find are beat to heck. I've had several and am looking for a good evo.
Old May 9, 2010, 03:14 PM

Originally Posted by jy951
Most of the dsm awds you will find are beat to heck.
Most of them are beat cause young kids can afford them.

Evo vs GSX = EVO FTW!
Old May 9, 2010, 03:44 PM

EVO would be a better choice in every matter, as long you won't mess with it by modding to get 1 trillion HP out of it!
Old May 9, 2010, 03:47 PM
Evolving Member

Thanks guys for all of your comments and opinions. Some very god input. I will def go with the Evo. Money isnt the problem, i just didnt want to spend $17k on somthing i could get for $7k. I will def take yalls word on how well the Evo is built and performs. I just didnt know how "big" of a dif in performance there was between the Evo and GSX. I know the GSX comes with 210hp and the Evo comes with 300hp, i just didnt see 90hp being that much of a dif. Im just going to take my time on buying one. Im kinda pickey when it comes to buying the right car. Its kinda hard finding a Evo that isnt beat all to hell or has alot of mods done to it already + have the Sunroof, HIDs and Full leather package. What is the Dif in the Reg Evo vs The MR Evo other then looks and 6speed trans? any more HP?
Old May 9, 2010, 03:54 PM

Evo hands down as long as money isn't an issue. You'll wind up saving money in the long run to be totally honest.
Old May 9, 2010, 03:54 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Tanman1986
Thanks guys for all of your comments and opinions. Some very god input. I will def go with the Evo. Money isnt the problem, i just didnt want to spend $17k on somthing i could get for $7k. I will def take yalls word on how well the Evo is built and performs. I just didnt know how "big" of a dif in performance there was between the Evo and GSX. I know the GSX comes with 210hp and the Evo comes with 300hp, i just didnt see 90hp being that much of a dif. Im just going to take my time on buying one. Im kinda pickey when it comes to buying the right car. Its kinda hard finding a Evo that isnt beat all to hell or has alot of mods done to it already + have the Sunroof, HIDs and Full leather package. What is the Dif in the Reg Evo vs The MR Evo other then looks and 6speed trans? any more HP?
the guage package aluminum roof Bilstin shocks Vortex generator everything else is the same. Also pending evo 8 or 9 mivec in the head. you can just add cams to evo 8 there you go. hope this helps
Old May 9, 2010, 06:10 PM

Get an evo and get it over with,you get anything else you're just gonna beat up yourself as to why you didn't get an evo in the first place
Old May 9, 2010, 06:36 PM
BBS
Evolved Member

Buy whichever you can AFFORD!

Quick Reply: Evo 8 or Eclipse GSX?