Notices
EvoM New Member / FAQs / EvoM Rules New member? Come on in, introduce yourself, and get acquainted with the evolutionm.net posse :) FAQs will also be answered in here.

Some interesting differences I found between Euro spec and US spec Evo IX

Search this Thread

Old May 16, 2010, 12:48 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Some interesting differences I found between Euro spec and US spec Evo IX

1) Different versions/names for US/Europe

From wikipedia:
Three trims were available for Japan, Asia and Europe. Although all models used the same 291 PS (214 kW; 287 hp) engine, the torque differed from one model to another. In Europe, however, the Evolution IX was advertised to have 280 PS (206 kW; 276 hp). The GSR produced 400 N·m (295 lb·ft) of torque, while the RS and GT produced 407 N·m (300 lb·ft).
  • RS - "rally sport", revised 5-speed, aluminium roof, gauge pack, minimal interior, LSD and a titanium-magnesium turbine, left-hand drive option available.
  • GT - revised 5-speed, this is basically the RS mechanically, but with some of the GSR's features (mainly interior pieces).
  • GSR - 6-speed, Bilstein monotube shocks, aluminium roof, gauge pack, SAYC (Super Active Yaw Control), and double-din radio (this is roughly equivalent to the USDM MR).
In the United Kingdom, the Evolution IX used a different model scheme based on the car's horsepower. There were initially three models available: the FQ-300, FQ-320 and FQ-340 each with around 300(296/221), 320(316/236) and 340(336/250) PS(BHP/KW) respectively. An FQ-360 model was subsequently released as a successor to the Evolution VIII FQ-400. While the new FQ-360 produced less horsepower than its predecessor, it had more torque at 363 lb·ft (492 N·m) at 3200 rpm. All four models were designed to run on super unleaded petrol only. The MR FQ-360 was also released in limited numbers (only 200) in the last year of production.
  • FQ-300, 320, 340 - 6-speed, Bilstein monotube shocks, AYC (Active Yaw Control), super unleaded petrol only
  • FQ-360 - 6-speed, Bilstein monotube shocks, AYC (Active Yaw Control), Ralliart Sports Meter Kit, carbon front splitter, Speedline alloy wheels, super unleaded petrol only
  • MR FQ-360 - New turbo with titanium aluminium alloy turbo fins, Speedline Turini alloy wheels, Privacy Glass, Lowered Eibach Coil springs (10mm at the front/ 5mm at the rear), IX MR interior, super unleaded petrol only
Four models were available in the US. All models used the same 286 hp (213 kW) engine.
  • Standard - revised 5-speed, standard model
  • RS - ralli sport, revised 5-speed, aluminum roof, gauge pack, minimal interior, also no radio
  • SE - Special Edition, aluminum roof/hood, and front fenders, split seven-spoke forged aluminum BBS wheels in "diamond black" finish, HID headlights with integrated fog lights, red-stitched Recaro seats
  • MR - 6-speed, Bilstein monotube shocks, split seven-spoke forged aluminum BBS wheels, aluminum roof, hood, and front fenders, gauge pack, HID headlights with integrated fog lights, vortex generator, and custom MR badging.
Apparently the RS and GT never made it here since my dealer tells me we only have 6-speed here which would mean that my 2007 Evo IX is a GSR(according to wikipedia).
Problem is I don't have the gauge pack or the doudle din radio.
I do have the bilstein shocks,BBS wheels and high spoiler.While these are standard on the US MR,here you have to buy them seperatly as a "extreme package".
I am a bit confused as to which type I have right now since none of the descriptions seem to match my car completely?

2) Heater controls are different

Euro

US

3) Oil drain bolt size

From what I have read on this forum the size of this bolt on the 5-speed gearbox is 17mm and on the 6-speed MR it should be a 19mm.
Mine's a 6-speed but the oil drain bolt measures 17mm.

4) US spec Evo IX is more powerfull while running lower octane fuel.Euro spec EVO's are programmed to run on super unleaded only (98 octane).

US has 287 bhp/392 Nm torque
Euro has 280 bhp/355 Nm torque
Why did Mitsubishi make the car less powerfull over here?We lose nearly 40 Nm of torque compared to the US model.

5) My ACD reservoir is located in my trunk.

I first noticed this when I was going to have a look to see how much I should bend the bracket of the reservoir forward in order to make room for my intake.
I popped the hood but couldn't find the reservoir.
After some searching I eventually found in in the left hand side of my trunk.The windshield washer fluid reservoir is on the opposite side.
Anyone ever hear of this?

6) Rear seat headrests

On the US model the rear headrests are molded into the rear seat

On the Euro model they are seperate

7) Oil filter

The dealer used my pink slip to get the right partnumber and the one that came up was MD356000 which according to the
All Part Number Request Go Here post is a filter specifically for the MR.
Most people on here either seem to use MZ690116 (supposedly newer model filter but bit lower quality than MD filter) or MZ690072.
So my car uses a MR specific oil filter even though the MR never came out here.

That about everything I have found until now.

Old May 16, 2010, 01:15 AM
Evolved Member

Received 126 Likes on 121 Posts
Its interesting to see that the acd reservoir is located in the trunk. I remember reading a thread on here where someone was looking to relocate his pump and reservoir as he rallies the car and didnt want it in the front getting hit. I bet that would have made things a lot easier

As far as the seats are concerned I have a US spec viii ssl and my rear seats have separate headrests also. Just thought I would mention that.
Old May 16, 2010, 01:20 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
wow good find, I believe there is a price difference as well...thanks for sharing.
Old May 16, 2010, 09:04 AM
Evolved Member

Not bad info, I like the Euro AC/Heat control at the bottom
Old May 16, 2010, 09:07 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by dambikeracer
Yeah looks spiffy
Old May 16, 2010, 09:29 AM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
hopefully now all the people calling their regular 5 speed evo's as a gsr will shut up about it now since the gsr has a 6 speed
Old May 16, 2010, 10:12 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by HaVoC187

I first noticed this when I was going to have a look to see how much I should bend the bracket of the reservoir forward in order to make room for my intake.
I popped the hood but couldn't find the reservoir.
After some searching I eventually found in in the left hand side of my trunk.The windshield washer fluid reservoir is on the opposite side.
Anyone ever hear of this?

I'm pretty sure that's your AYC resevior, not ACD
Old May 16, 2010, 10:59 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by heel2toe
As far as the seats are concerned I have a US spec viii ssl and my rear seats have separate headrests also. Just thought I would mention that.
Anyone else have a US spec EVO VIII or IX that has seperate headrests in the back?
Old May 16, 2010, 11:06 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Tribal
wow good find, I believe there is a price difference as well...thanks for sharing.
You have 2 equipment levels here.
First is the Intense which retailed for 37990€ (about 46900$)
Second we have the Instyle which has carbon look trim in the dash,leather/alcantara seats and high spoiler.This retailed for 39990€ (about 49450$)
How much was the US Evo IX?About 34k?
Old May 16, 2010, 11:08 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by dambikeracer
Yeah I think it is a lot better looking than those huge controls on the US model.
Old May 16, 2010, 11:22 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by OldschoolEVO
I'm pretty sure that's your AYC resevior, not ACD
AYC and ACD use the same reservoir,just looked it up in the manual.
Where in Belgium are you from?
Old May 16, 2010, 11:46 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by HaVoC187
AYC and ACD use the same reservoir,just looked it up in the manual.
Where in Belgium are you from?
You sir are correct. I was thinking of my VI cause it only had AYC and my VIII has neither.

I used to live in Mons and now live in the UK and have been just to lazy to change it. If you need a good shop and depending on were you live in know quite a few trust worthy shops. One changed my clutch/flywheel in under 2hrs and only charged me 140euro.
Old May 16, 2010, 11:56 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts
So, has anyone in the US converted to the rear ACD reservoir?

That make it easier for us guys who want to run speed density and get the air filter down under the front headlight to do it now with the ACD gone from the front.
Old May 16, 2010, 11:57 AM

good find interesting to see the differences
Old May 16, 2010, 11:58 AM
Evolved Member

where is the ACD reservoir located in US cars?

Quick Reply: Some interesting differences I found between Euro spec and US spec Evo IX