Notices
EvoM New Member / FAQs / EvoM Rules New member? Come on in, introduce yourself, and get acquainted with the evolutionm.net posse :) FAQs will also be answered in here.

Buying a used Evo IX MR or C5 Z06

Search this Thread

Old May 19, 2010, 12:10 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Green Meanie
Too many people who had issues with the OEM clutch to say it was someone who couldn't drive. If you want it bullet proof then beef the drivetrain up. I never owned a vette so I can't speak on that but I did test drive a C6 Z06 and it was scary fast....like I think I'm going to die fast. I'm sure if I owned one I'd get used to it over time but my Evo is solid in almost every situation, emergency braking/lane changing, acceleration, mountain runs, auto-x, track, stop light drag, hwy beat down, daily driving, driving to another state.

It has been super reliable and while I don't beat on the car ever day I certainly drive spirited when given the opportunity.
I have to disagree with that because you don't know what the actual percentage of people who had problems was in relation to the percentage of those who didn't because no one ever makes a thread titled, "Man, my clutch sure is working exactly the way it was designed to with no issues whatsoever." If you actually add up the amount of clutch issues that were reported, and compared them to the number of EVO's sold, it wouldn't be enough to call it a problem with the clutch. AND that's assuming that there were no poor drivers in that group. if you take into account that a high percentage, if not all,were poor drivers, then you really have no leg to stand on with that case.

also, why is it that we never heard about any issues with EVO clutches until they got to America and got into the hands of people who had never driven a high powered, all wheel drive car with a manual transmission?

I've ridden with more than one person who complained about the EVO's stock clutch. They couldn't drive for ****. I rode with other's who could drive really well. They had never heard of issues with the clutch. I bought an EVO, raced it, dragged it, autocrossed, launched it for no particular reason other than launching is fun, and i STILL got more than 70k out of my clutch. AND it still had life when i replaced it. I just figured might as well while it was down for the timing belt replacement.

the reason other cars don't have as many clutch issues with poor drivers is because in an FF or FR car, if you do it wrong, the tires spin. You do it wrong in the EVO, you burn your clutch.

There's nothing anymore wrong with the EVO's clutch than any other manual transmission car on the market.
Old May 19, 2010, 12:14 PM
Evolved Member

Received 39 Likes on 36 Posts
The Evo 100%! More versatile! 4 doors, plenty of power, easy to mod! Be a part of something different, not the typical choice! Adjustable AWD!!!!!!!
Old May 19, 2010, 12:58 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by black95tt
And a Z06 isn't just as good in those areas how?? You've not had much seat time in one apparently.

I admitted as much. I guess I should've been clearer......Its easier to drive the Evo at its limit as opposed to the C5/6Z
Old May 19, 2010, 01:01 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by ODUB
I have to disagree with that because you don't know what the actual percentage of people who had problems was in relation to the percentage of those who didn't because no one ever makes a thread titled, "Man, my clutch sure is working exactly the way it was designed to with no issues whatsoever." If you actually add up the amount of clutch issues that were reported, and compared them to the number of EVO's sold, it wouldn't be enough to call it a problem with the clutch. AND that's assuming that there were no poor drivers in that group. if you take into account that a high percentage, if not all,were poor drivers, then you really have no leg to stand on with that case.

also, why is it that we never heard about any issues with EVO clutches until they got to America and got into the hands of people who had never driven a high powered, all wheel drive car with a manual transmission?

I've ridden with more than one person who complained about the EVO's stock clutch. They couldn't drive for ****. I rode with other's who could drive really well. They had never heard of issues with the clutch. I bought an EVO, raced it, dragged it, autocrossed, launched it for no particular reason other than launching is fun, and i STILL got more than 70k out of my clutch. AND it still had life when i replaced it. I just figured might as well while it was down for the timing belt replacement.

the reason other cars don't have as many clutch issues with poor drivers is because in an FF or FR car, if you do it wrong, the tires spin. You do it wrong in the EVO, you burn your clutch.

There's nothing anymore wrong with the EVO's clutch than any other manual transmission car on the market.

You know what you're absolutely right. I never drove my car with a OEM clutch. I have no real experience with OEM clutches. I can only go off the research I've done before and during evo ownership and thats the majority of the threads I saw......but you are right no one ever really posts about the OEM clutch lasting.
Old May 19, 2010, 01:52 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
my stock clutch lasted me 60k miles. the owner before me probably beat on it. it just depends on the driver and how you drive ur car as well. if you drive normal it will last you a long time.
Old May 19, 2010, 02:03 PM
Evolving Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
This may not be a direct comparrison. But my dad has a c6 vette(not c5 z06). It makes about the same power as a c5 z06 tho. I was planning on buying the car from him before I got my evo. Now that I have my evo I love it. I'm glad I didn't buy the vette.I get to drive his car every now and then and am very please with it but I feel the evo is more practical for DD use. and power wise as well.

You have to go STUPID SLOW over speed bumps in the vette, where as you can almost ramp it in the evo(I don't do that). Having 4 doors on a car becomes very handy.

Expenses? well I think they are about the same. A window regulator for the c6 costs 550 dollars!
I had the decision of getting a vette but I'm glad I got the evo
Old May 19, 2010, 02:14 PM
Evolving Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Maybe look into a gsr IX if you plan to launch, I have a IX MR but won't launch it.
Old May 19, 2010, 05:34 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by mitsuclipsegsx
Maybe look into a gsr IX if you plan to launch, I have a IX MR but won't launch it.
that makes no sense.

<-- IX MR, 155k miles, can't count how many times I've launched it. Launched it 6 times at the last autocross event a month ago, and will launch it another 6 times this weekend during autocross. I'm just waiting for someone to tell me again that my transmission won't last lol
Old May 19, 2010, 06:25 PM
Evolving Member

that makes no sense.

<-- IX MR, 155k miles, can't count how many times I've launched it. Launched it 6 times at the last autocross event a month ago, and will launch it another 6 times this weekend during autocross. I'm just waiting for someone to tell me again that my transmission won't last lol
+1

i grow so tired of the posts on this forum about how bad evo clutches and trannys are.. bottom line is driver error and not maintaining the car correctly! i have over 350 WHP and 38,000 miles on a car that is tracked once a month WITH A STOCK CLUTCH!

ON TOPIC.. this has been discussed on this forum so many times before just search.
if you want versatility (ie four doors, all wheel drive, trunk, back seat) get the EVO. if you want a sexy car that is faster in stock form then get the Vette. with just a set of drag radials and a reflash Z06's get very quick.

Last edited by EvosnatcH; May 19, 2010 at 06:26 PM. Reason: spell
Old May 21, 2010, 08:50 AM
Evolving Member

Do you want a two-door sports car, or a four-door econobox with a ton of go-fast parts?

I had the same dilemma, and I chose the Evo. Own two of them, in fact. (IX and X)

Depends on what you want.
Old May 21, 2010, 12:34 PM
Evolving Member

Evo. You will not be disappointed!
Old May 21, 2010, 01:50 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
i'm not reading any of that...based on the title, EVO IX MR. I saw something about the clutch... stock clutch is fine unless you can't drive. Anyone that burns their clutch in an EVO at5-25k miles can't drive, PERIOD. I got 70k+ out of my stocker with plenty of racing (autocross, drag), and launching, and general vehicular tomfoolery. with the EVO, you can get a great set of tires for less than $500 on the stock wheels. I just ordered a set of 255/40/17 Nitto NT-05's for about that. can't get much better than those tires. if you want all seasons, you can get cheaper tires than that...now once you start talking 18/19" tires, that's a different story, but shopping is your friend. as for the oil changes, DIY for $30-50 depending on what oil you use. okay...well i guess i read a little bit of this lol

good luck

This man speak the truth about clutches (and it always me and him saying this)

The stock clutch is fine. If you wear it out prematurely, its cuz you cant drive. MY IX clutch, I launched about 40 times, auto X'd it many times and put 45K miles on it and it was still fine.

When you see kids saying they wore out the clutch in 5-25K miles and trying to say the EVO has a weak clutch, its just cuz they cant drive.
Old May 21, 2010, 02:03 PM
Evolving Member

My 2006 IX MR never gave me a single problem. No squeaks, rattles, failures, codes... nada. Daily driver, about 20 miles total/day. Don't have the luxury of a garage. AutoX once, launched around a dozen times (a few of those quite poorly. Definitely agree stock clutch is solid with a good shifter/driver).
Even a drop-in flash gets you noticeable gains.
You chicken out before this car does, and its great in all-weather (with the appropriate tires).
In four years of ownership there wasn't a single day it didn't put a smile on my face.