Notices
EvoM New Member / FAQs / EvoM Rules New member? Come on in, introduce yourself, and get acquainted with the evolutionm.net posse :) FAQs will also be answered in here.

FP Black/Red vs Stock Turbo.

Search this Thread

Old May 19, 2010 | 06:23 AM
Evolved Member

FP Black/Red vs Stock Turbo.

I looked around and I didn't really see much about the comparison here, but I imagine this a newb question.

Anyways, I'm in the midst of an engine rebuild. I'm looking to make 400awhp (not sure which dyno is around here lets just assume Mustang), but have similar to stock spool. I know the FPs are fairly close, but what setup does everyone recomend? I plan to bring the car out road racing, rarely auto-x and to the drag strip occasionally. Current mods to the car are listed below. The car is my daily driver.
Old May 19, 2010 | 06:32 AM
Evolved Member

I love my fp red. It'll get you to your goal pretty easy
Old May 19, 2010 | 06:37 AM
Evolving Member

There are alot of threads on this...

Power: Black > Red > Stock Same as you would expect with spool Black > Red > Stock... Black capable of 500+hp on 93 pump, Red capable of 400+ on 93 pump... Stock maxes out around 350-400hp on 93 pump... All are streetable

you are definitely going to need alot more supporting mods to handle a red or black though...
Old May 19, 2010 | 06:47 AM
Former Sponsor

ive used then all , there all good turbos just make sure you feed each turbo with the supporting mods to get the most out of them
Old May 19, 2010 | 07:33 AM
Evolved Member

might also want to really really really consider the hta green if you want to keep that spool extremely high and it will net 400whp easy
Old May 19, 2010 | 07:41 AM
Evolved Member

From: South Beach, FL / Miami, FL / Pt. St. Lucie, FL / NYC
Originally Posted by RockmanX
might also want to really really really consider the hta green if you want to keep that spool extremely high and it will net 400whp easy
Agreed with the Rock. HTA Green will spool quicker or identical to evo 9 400 on pump and 500 on another higher octane fuel sorce
Old May 19, 2010 | 10:26 AM
Evolved Member

Thanks for the replies. What supporting mods would I need? Green does sound good too. I was also told a 50 trim would do the trick too.
Old May 19, 2010 | 11:32 AM
Evolved Member

whereabouts are you located floppy?

The black would be overkill for only 400 since the red and green can get you there with great spool. Mods others are talking about are injectors, perhaps cams, porting turbo/tb/intake/exhaust manifold/ 02 housing. intercooler. If you are building your motor, a stroker will improve your spool up more and from that point a black would have great spool also. all these mods aren't necessary, but will get the most out of the turbo.

You have to also remember, some parts can give large gains so which intercooler/ which manifold can effect greatly. The most important thing though is to have a smooth car with all parts. All of it is useless if one part is weak like a chain. If you go over 500 you'll run into fuel problems and need a double pumper, clutch, etc. so for 400 you should be good with 1000ccs and a walbro

OBviously, a tune is the key to success here and DTM is not where you want to be going for a tune. if you wonder why, just go to dcevoclub and ask any of the members about dtm's tunes and why they no longer cater to public. Email tune from mellon, ptuning, dan at ams to name a few are great options.

Just my .02 and good luck with your build!!
Old May 19, 2010 | 11:38 AM
Evolving Member

To run an upgraded turbo like the red and black you need

FMIC, UIC, LIC, 3" DP & CB, preferably a TP and 02 housing, 1000+cc injectors, wali 255lp fuel pump, head studs, cams would be a good idea but not necessarily needed 272's or bigger (make sure they have greater lift then stock cams), Twin Disc Clutch and a good tune.

Stock bottom end is good up to around 500hp, anything more your going to need to build it, and springs / retainers are good to about 8500rpms... anything more i would upgrade as well
Old May 19, 2010 | 02:12 PM
Evolved Member

Myself with 407 currently about to be higher. ETS 3.5 font mount, walboro 255lph, I would no less than 1050cc injectors mine are scaled to 975 and I don't think the duty cycle is over 60-70% currently. I'm putting in GSC S2 cams and beehive springs to rev it higher I should be around 420-450hp once it's all done and over with.
Old May 19, 2010 | 04:57 PM
Account Disabled

Most of our Green customers are in the upper 300's with a few just over 400. Most of our Red customers are at 430 area and the Black has a bit of a spread to it currently but we'll find the average as we do more of them 430-470

these would be closest to dynojet numbers but a little lower and I'm referring to 93 octane.

I've always bought a little more turbo to make sure I get my goals. Just because some people can get 400 out of green that doesn't mean everyone will. Some cars can have all of the mods in the world and not get there.
Old May 19, 2010 | 05:11 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Mellon Tuning
Most of our Green customers are in the upper 300's with a few just over 400. Most of our Red customers are at 430 area and the Black has a bit of a spread to it currently but we'll find the average as we do more of them 430-470

these would be closest to dynojet numbers but a little lower and I'm referring to 93 octane.

I've always bought a little more turbo to make sure I get my goals. Just because some people can get 400 out of green that doesn't mean everyone will. Some cars can have all of the mods in the world and not get there.
why do you have the be the a$$hole that brings the bad news of you could be wasting your time hommie and not get there. .

J/k
Old May 19, 2010 | 05:15 PM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by RockmanX
why do you have the be the a$$hole that brings the bad news of you could be wasting your time hommie and not get there. .

J/k
I keeps it real
Old May 19, 2010 | 05:20 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Mellon Tuning
I keeps it real
TOO REAL PLAYER dont scare him off
Old May 20, 2010 | 07:58 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Broham
whereabouts are you located floppy?

The black would be overkill for only 400 since the red and green can get you there with great spool. Mods others are talking about are injectors, perhaps cams, porting turbo/tb/intake/exhaust manifold/ 02 housing. intercooler. If you are building your motor, a stroker will improve your spool up more and from that point a black would have great spool also. all these mods aren't necessary, but will get the most out of the turbo.

You have to also remember, some parts can give large gains so which intercooler/ which manifold can effect greatly. The most important thing though is to have a smooth car with all parts. All of it is useless if one part is weak like a chain. If you go over 500 you'll run into fuel problems and need a double pumper, clutch, etc. so for 400 you should be good with 1000ccs and a walbro

OBviously, a tune is the key to success here and DTM is not where you want to be going for a tune. if you wonder why, just go to dcevoclub and ask any of the members about dtm's tunes and why they no longer cater to public. Email tune from mellon, ptuning, dan at ams to name a few are great options.

Just my .02 and good luck with your build!!
Beach, what about you?

E-mail tunes seem just a little weird to me. I'd rather get a dyno tune done. I don't have a problem with Nick at DTM. Though, I am curious to why they aren't all for it. Maybe I'll check it out before I make the long trip all the way up there.

Everyone, thanks for the advice. I thinking HTA Green would do just the trick with 1000cc injectors and I'm not sure what kind of cams to go with. 272 will make my goal, I believe?

Quick Reply: FP Black/Red vs Stock Turbo.