Notices
EvoM New Member / FAQs / EvoM Rules New member? Come on in, introduce yourself, and get acquainted with the evolutionm.net posse :) FAQs will also be answered in here.

Evo? Sti?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 10, 2010, 01:46 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Evo? Sti?

ok so ive been undesided for a while on weather i should get the new EVO X(10) or the NEW STI, i have heard a couple of reasons why like: the evo is cooler, the STI looks nicer, its faster, and just things like that... BUT i want to hear your guys's specs on both, and why or why not the EVO is better.
Old Jun 10, 2010, 02:05 AM

Im new here BTW
Old Jun 10, 2010, 02:32 AM
Evolved Member

hopefully you don't get flamed cause this has been discussed endlessly for years.

but i was in the same boat as you. I am due back from Japan in about 2-3 months and have been going back and forth for the last 3 years since i got out here.

what i came up with as the deciding factors are:

-Wicked white evo looks friggin awesome!
-evo SSS has FAST key (the final push over the fence for me)
-evo has recaros
-you can get OEM aero kit

things that sometimes make me lean back to subaru:
-bulletproof clutch
-6 speed
-Rally blue with gold BBS

but at the end of the day I always am confident in my choice, and I am going to pick up a WW GSR with SSS and Aero package
Old Jun 10, 2010, 02:37 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 66 Likes on 42 Posts
i like the sti better...

seriously thou, evo's are cooler
Old Jun 10, 2010, 03:09 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by oftheheavens
hopefully you don't get flamed cause this has been discussed endlessly for years.

but i was in the same boat as you. I am due back from Japan in about 2-3 months and have been going back and forth for the last 3 years since i got out here.

what i came up with as the deciding factors are:

-Wicked white evo looks friggin awesome!
-evo SSS has FAST key (the final push over the fence for me)
-evo has recaros
-you can get OEM aero kit

things that sometimes make me lean back to subaru:
-bulletproof clutch
-6 speed
-Rally blue with gold BBS

but at the end of the day I always am confident in my choice, and I am going to pick up a WW GSR with SSS and Aero package
he won't get flamed...at least not seriously, now that the 4-door STi is coming. while most of the argument stays the same, the STi's return to 4-door would change a few minds i reckon.

of course, this is an EVO forum. to ask an evo owner if he wanted an STi and say "yes" to that would be like selling out yourself, considering the person owns an evo already. that said, if i am in the market looking for a new 4 door beast, just looks and OTD product alone, it's a hard pick. the hatchback never appealed to me, so the x was always the de facto.

if you dig into it further though, and look at the power per dollar ratio, and a few other things, you'd be hard pressed to not lean toward the evo.

the nasioc community is a lot more friendly and welcoming though (no offense to evom, but that's just how it is)...so there's that tidbit...

Last edited by EndlessRed; Jun 10, 2010 at 03:12 AM.
Old Jun 10, 2010, 05:06 AM
Evolved Member

The GR STi motors have the same ringland issues as the GD 07's. The stock suspension is lame. The stock seats suck.
Honestly you are better off comparing the 10 to the 06 GD, at least the stock tune was less likely to break the motor.
Evo handling stock is far superior. For about 6K you could "fix" and GD or GR with QuickRack, TiC coilovers and Sparcos.
That would get you on equal footing as a 10 with maybe even an edge in handling. The numbers don't add up though.
Unless you just love the STi.
Old Jun 10, 2010, 05:12 AM
Evolving Member

Lets make this simple...EVO !!

If you like to blow motors,Then sti
Old Jun 10, 2010, 06:04 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Drive both. I dont like the Hatch look at all. I would wait until the new STI Sedan is released. But If you want something to keep stock and just cruise in get a STI. If you plan to mod I say Evo.
Old Jun 10, 2010, 06:17 AM
Evolving Member

subaru's are for nerds
Old Jun 10, 2010, 06:51 AM

EVO is easier to work on IMO and I think it has more potential than the STI. Both are pratty equal cars it all just depends if you want to join the EVO or STI club haha ;D
Old Jun 10, 2010, 07:16 AM
Evolving Member

There have been alot of mag comparisons and most have the EVO as the faster car. One mag did a snow test and the Sti was slightly faster. One Mag had the Sti as a better daily driver because it has slightly more low end torque, EVO dosen't really shine untill you get it going. Both are excelent cars.

Evo is a bit more user friendly, only a few traction options. Sti has much more user control over the tracktion control settings. Evo has AYC which is AWESOME, you can feel the car rotating to correct understeer, don't know about the Sti.

As far as practicality goes (EVO SST asside) Sti winds hands down... the hatch back feature is nice and at first I didn't like it but I will say it has grown on me.

Personaly you cant go wrong with either car. Make a list of things you like to do and what you want to do with it. Test drive em both.

I was in the same situation as you are in the end my wife cant drive a stick and she didn't want to learn but she needed to be able to drive the car. Hence the EVO MR, good news is she loves to drive it.

I have a dog and if I could do it again I might go for the STI for the 6speed manual and the hatch for the pooch

Last edited by WolvieDC; Jun 10, 2010 at 07:19 AM.
Old Jun 10, 2010, 07:20 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by ToddMcF2002
The GR STi motors have the same ringland issues as the GD 07's. The stock suspension is lame. The stock seats suck.
Honestly you are better off comparing the 10 to the 06 GD, at least the stock tune was less likely to break the motor.
Evo handling stock is far superior. For about 6K you could "fix" and GD or GR with QuickRack, TiC coilovers and Sparcos.
That would get you on equal footing as a 10 with maybe even an edge in handling. The numbers don't add up though.
Unless you just love the STi.

Good info, stuff I didn't know
Old Jun 10, 2010, 07:29 AM
Evolving Member

Look on youtube...there was a comparison between 6 cars I think, and both the X and STI were in the mix. I believe the X took 3rd in track and road course times, and the STI took last in both.
Old Jun 10, 2010, 08:54 AM
Evolving Member

Every legit car review known to man has stated the Evo has a more direct driving experience. This goes back to any Sti or Evo available in the States.

Even an impartial poll of legally blind participants determined that the WRX/STI hatchback is one of the top 5 ugliest vehicles on the planet.
Old Jun 10, 2010, 12:57 PM

thanks people, now for a sum wut stupid quiestion... can you change stick to automatic, and/or automatic to stick... i have always wondered that???

Quick Reply: Evo? Sti?