Notices
EvoM New Member / FAQs / EvoM Rules New member? Come on in, introduce yourself, and get acquainted with the evolutionm.net posse :) FAQs will also be answered in here.

evo good for me?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 15, 2010, 05:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
evo good for me?

hey all my name is joe im 22 and am looking at getting an evo within the next month or so.... i have a couple dumb questions maybe u can help me out, this gonna be my first own 5 speed car, ive driven em before just not every day haha, so im not terible, also im only like 5ft 5 and was wondering if i was to short or i would fit and be comfortable in it.... as this is my 1st car being financed my parents r cosigning me and there like oh i dont like the big wing yada yada haha idc im 22 im getting what i want but i wanna no opinions on my size and stuff to see if id be happy with it and the over all
Old Jun 15, 2010, 08:05 PM
Evolved Member

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
I'm pretty similar in size to you, and I don't really have any issues. I do feel like I sit a tad lower than I'd like, but it's nothing that bothers me, so I wouldn't let that affect your decision.

I got my first Evo when I was 22 and another to replace it when I was 23, and I've had it ever since. I don't regret it at all, even now, several years later with a career getting started.
Old Jun 15, 2010, 08:32 PM

aight mint man thanx... i found a few found one for like 16990 its an 03 but 3hrs away........ if its there by the end of the month or middle of next im gonna look at it i wanna put down atleast 4 or 5 k then sell my suv.......
Old Jun 15, 2010, 08:43 PM
Evolved Member

I assume the SUV you mentioned is the 1998 GMC Jimmy mentioned in your profile. Two cars before I had my first Evo (which was about 14 months prior), I was driving a hand-me-down 1994 Isuzu Rodeo LS 4WD that was sitting around my family's house (since both of my parents had other cars that they preferred to drive instead plus I had sold my Honda Accord before that), so I know where you're coming from.

That aside, try to test drive an Evo first so you can get a feel for the car before locking yourself into it. I had never OWNED a manual transmission car before my Evo, but my older brother had a 2000 Honda Civic EX coupe that I learned stick on, plus we lived together at some point when I was in college, and he'd let me drive the car pretty frequently, which helped me not only master driving stick but also teaching me to heel-toe and rev-match, which is going to be very beneficial when owning an Evo so you can drive the car more efficiently while also lengthening the life of your clutch. So if you've driven stick a few times but never on a regular basis, you may want to brush up on your skills. Otherwise, save up some money for a new clutch.
Old Jun 15, 2010, 09:50 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
could have saved yourself some grief. I really don't see why people feel the need to get on the inet and tell us their parents are buying co-signing or whatever. Just say your getting an evo and leave it at that. Only bad posts (yes, like this one) come from info like that. Its like posting a pic of your GF and shes ugly.

As far as size, dude your short, asians are also short, you'll fit fine, just don't get lowering brackets for the drivers seat.

Haven't driven a stick much? owned a performance car before? no? carry full coverage and do us all a favor and don't b a *****.

The evo is a great car, not for everyone and alot of people have em I wish didn't. But I guess it keeps the aftermarket cheap for me, yay!

Anyway g'luck to you, enjoy the car, if you crash it.....well ****.
Old Jun 16, 2010, 07:03 PM

Are you going to make the payments yourself? Its a difficult car to pay for unless you have a decent job.

I bought my evo ix at age 23. I am 25 now and I still have it except it has 35k more miles, gt35r and alot of other mods, lol. I even took it to Sebring International. A race track is where this car belongs. Lots of good memories in the backseat as well, lol.
Old Jun 16, 2010, 07:11 PM
Evolving Member

I'm only 20 right now, im the military so I can afford this car. It was my first stick shift as well, didn't have much experience but after about a month I got it down pat. If your parents don't like the wing you can always take it off or get a RS like I do. Just be aware the RS has no power windows, locks and AC. Mine luckily had AC that is optional when it's purchased.

Good luck man, also. If the car is still available see if you can knock it down to 15k if its any higher than 75k mileage.
Old Jun 16, 2010, 07:12 PM
Evolved Member

spend a few hours and read thru this forum.... There's really nothing u can get thats better in the evo price range... Prepare to be broke for the rest of your life tho, especially if u become a track *****. Roadcourse that is.... I just spent 2 grand to prepare for my TT event next month
Old Jun 16, 2010, 07:14 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Dube
Just be aware the RS has no power windows, locks and AC. Mine luckily had AC that is optional when it's purchased.
Actually I think all of the RS models had A/C standard. Originally, the plan was for them to not have it, but Mitsubishi changed their mind at the last second (as even the brochures list it as an option) and had it be standard equipment for the U.S. market.
Old Jun 16, 2010, 07:18 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by DeeezNuuuts83
Actually I think all of the RS models had A/C standard. Originally, the plan was for them to not have it, but Mitsubishi changed their mind at the last second (as even the brochures list it as an option) and had it be standard equipment for the U.S. market.
Probably because they knew people in the US need AC or they'll ***** and moan about it being too hot.

Thanks for the info.
Old Jun 16, 2010, 07:18 PM
Evolving Member

Im 33 and this is my first Evo and its not really the payments that get me its the insurance that kills. Probably due to the fact that parents buy their kids fast cars and they total them. hmmmm
Old Jun 16, 2010, 07:21 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by 304MR
Im 33 and this is my first Evo and its not really the payments that get me its the insurance that kills. Probably due to the fact that parents buy their kids fast cars and they total them. hmmmm
What kind of rates do you pay in WV at your age? I'm just curious, I work in insurance but have done very little business in WV so I've only done a few quotes in that particular state, but for regular Joes and not Evo drivers.
Old Jun 16, 2010, 07:24 PM
Evolving Member

Try nationwide, i'm 20 and I pay 230.
Old Jun 16, 2010, 07:26 PM
Evolved Member

^ MONTHLY? Holy crap... I pay $82 monthly and I'm 26. I've insured Evo drivers with DUIs and they pay less than $230.
Old Jun 16, 2010, 07:28 PM
Evolving Member

Yes monthly haha. It's the cheapest I can find!

Quick Reply: evo good for me?