Notices
EvoM New Member / FAQs / EvoM Rules New member? Come on in, introduce yourself, and get acquainted with the evolutionm.net posse :) FAQs will also be answered in here.

engine is toast. please help.

Search this Thread

Old Jun 29, 2010, 05:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
engine is toast. please help.

hey everybody, i recently bought a 2004 evo VIII and the engine is now screwed. i was hoping i could get some help finding a place to buy a rebuilt/remanufactured engine for my ride. i am looking to either get a different engine (preferred) or have them rebuild mine (may be too damaged, which is why i prefer method 1). any advice on where or how to go about this would be much appreciated. also i live in seattle, WA.

thanks to all,

lance
Old Jun 29, 2010, 05:12 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Too many variables. What happened to the motor? If there is a hole in the block then you really have no choice as to swap the motor. Was the head damaged? There are quite a few vendors on here who offer a full lineup of shortblocks, it just depends on your needs/budget. What displacement are you looking for.

The more descriptive you are the better we can help you identify the problem and give you suggestions on the best course of action.
Old Jun 29, 2010, 05:12 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Dude if your in Seattle, or regardless of where you are haha, make sure to hit up EnglishRacing first www.englishracing.net they will take care of you and your car.
Old Jun 29, 2010, 06:47 PM
Evolving Member

English racing they are the best!
Old Jun 29, 2010, 10:00 PM

Originally Posted by buchnerj
Too many variables. What happened to the motor? If there is a hole in the block then you really have no choice as to swap the motor. Was the head damaged? There are quite a few vendors on here who offer a full lineup of shortblocks, it just depends on your needs/budget. What displacement are you looking for.

The more descriptive you are the better we can help you identify the problem and give you suggestions on the best course of action.

there are a lot of variables i may not even be aware of because it was purchased only a couple of months ago. i drove it for awhile, started smoking a lot when decelerating. and it wasn't performing very well. i took it in cause i thought it was the valve seals. when the head came off it looked like the engine had blown a rod previously(as one looked different than the rest). there is no hole in the block, but it has been heavily scratched/scored. the head looks like it has already been machined down so its hard to say if it has enough left or if it needs that done anyway. as far as displacement goes, stock is fine by me, i just want to get my ride on the road again. i wish i knew more about engines, and cars in general, so i could better explain the situation. let me know if additional info would help in this search.
Old Jun 29, 2010, 10:18 PM
Evolving Member

yeh, if i were you i would check out english racing since your by them, theyll prolly most likely be able to give you just as good or better info then we can give you about what options you got
Old Jun 29, 2010, 10:29 PM
Evolving Member

what happened to the motor?? I had mines rebuilt with all brand new stuff for $1700, spun rod bearing

oil pump $400
crank $300
rods,pistons, bearings $200 (killer deal)
headgasket/belt $200
shop work $600

Last edited by domantas; Jun 29, 2010 at 10:31 PM.
Old Jun 30, 2010, 01:47 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Damn, with all of these engines blowing up. I'm gonna start rebuilding them to have extra long blocks.

Sorry to hear about the engine. It is rough to have the car down, I know.

Good luck
Old Jun 30, 2010, 07:15 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
why not post pics so we can see. your best options is to get a motor built from ER since your down there. ALSO if there is no hole in the block it should be reusable again but will need to be taken apart and inspected