Notices
EvoM New Member / FAQs / EvoM Rules New member? Come on in, introduce yourself, and get acquainted with the evolutionm.net posse :) FAQs will also be answered in here.

Coolant Leak

Search this Thread

Old Jul 13, 2010, 07:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Coolant Leak

Hello I have an 04 Evo, 74000 miles, i bought it about a week ago and just noticed there is a small coolant leak. I have determined it is coolant by catching some in a cup and Smelling and comaparing to the fluid in the overflow res. It drips in the middel of the car about as far back as the front wheels. i checked all hoses and felt around the water pump, but cant seem to find were its coming from, any help?
Old Jul 13, 2010, 07:50 PM
Evolving Member

sounds like the problem i had a few months back, Sounds like the weeper on your water pump if its a slow steady drip.
Old Jul 13, 2010, 07:51 PM
Evolved Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
get the car on a lift/ jack and start it up. The leak should start dripping.
Old Jul 14, 2010, 01:19 PM

Thanks for the help. I was looking and feeling all around today but could not find anything with coolant I cleaned off the whole underside of the car and ther is no spray or anything, it is a slow leak but only seems to leak under pressure. I'm gonna keep investigating untill I hear back from the dealership I got it from.
Old Jul 14, 2010, 01:29 PM
Evolved Member

it is a slow leak but only seems to leak under pressure.
Could be a blown headgasket.

Last edited by Evoryder; Jul 14, 2010 at 01:31 PM.
Old Jul 14, 2010, 01:32 PM
Evolved Member

are you sure its not from the overflow? is it dripping alittle even when the car is off?
Old Jul 14, 2010, 03:45 PM

Im not sure, Is the overflow located on the firewall? I was just under the hood and car for 1 1/2 hr looking and the only thing i can find with fluid on it is the very bottom of the trans, but it cant be trans fluid cause its a greenish color not redish.
Old Jul 14, 2010, 03:51 PM

I was thinking head gasket also, but im still making Great power, no smoking or anything and there is no coolant in my oil and no oil in my coolant,
Old Jul 14, 2010, 05:53 PM
Evolved Member

Well it's either a blown headgasket or one of the coolant lines off the turbo.
Old Jul 14, 2010, 05:55 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by hanis213
I was thinking head gasket also, but im still making Great power, no smoking or anything and there is no coolant in my oil and no oil in my coolant,
Just because you're making good power doesn't mean it's not the headgasket. My coolant was disappearing out my overflow(i never smelled it or saw the leak) ...I replaced my headgasket and installed ARP headstuds. No probs anymore.
Old Jul 14, 2010, 06:04 PM
Evolved Member

hope you do not take too much offense but if you cannot locate the radiator overflow, i dont think you are qualified to troubleshoot anything on the car.... (hope you take that as an advice, not insult)

when radiator builds heat and pressure, it raises the amount of fluid in the radiator. especially in the summer and considering your in florida, its very possible for you to find small puddle of radiator fluid on the ground(especially if its overfilled already). and the overflow is next to the passenger side headlight(or follow the thin rubber line from radiator cap to the overflow bottle).

as i said i think maybe its better you step back and have a friend help you or a mechanic.

Last edited by mifesto; Jul 14, 2010 at 06:06 PM.
Old Jul 14, 2010, 06:43 PM

na no offense taken, i just didnt think you were talking about the overflow for the radiator since i did say it was twards the middel of the car and the radiator overflow is in the front behind the headlight, i have done work on all my cars befor but never anything with a turbo, How tough is the head gasket to do on EVOS? I did one befor on a 79 pontiac V6, i could take it back to the dealer and have them replace it but if it needs to be done id rather upgrade to the Greddy or cosworth of somthing better then the OEM one the dealer will throw in
Old Jul 14, 2010, 06:45 PM

Also Im not in FL im in PA and it has been Raining Like crazy here and not hot at all this week
Old Jul 14, 2010, 07:09 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by hanis213
na no offense taken, i just didnt think you were talking about the overflow for the radiator since i did say it was twards the middel of the car and the radiator overflow is in the front behind the headlight, i have done work on all my cars befor but never anything with a turbo, How tough is the head gasket to do on EVOS? I did one befor on a 79 pontiac V6, i could take it back to the dealer and have them replace it but if it needs to be done id rather upgrade to the Greddy or cosworth of somthing better then the OEM one the dealer will throw in
I would stick with the OEM gasket. It's proven itself to VERY high horsepower levels.

TO get the head off to change the Headgasket:
Did mine in about 6hours ...no rush.

Remove harnesses off rocker cover Inc. Injector clips
Fuel feed return line hoses plug and move to side.
Drain coolant. And remove hoses that attatch to head
Optional remove or leave intake mani on. If you remove intake mani you gotta take all that junk off.
Remove rocker cover
Remove cam gears same as removing cams, zip tie, tensioner tool etc
Remove head bolts
If everything has been remved from head it should lift easy

install is reverse of everything above.

Make sure head is not warped, take to a machine shop to look at with a straight edge.
Old Jul 15, 2010, 10:30 AM
Evolved Member

i dont agree here with premature guess/diagnosis that its a headgasket. blown headgaskets will often mean coolant getting into the oil or oil getting into gasket in most cases. i haven't actually heard it causing coolant leaks. i'd put my money on an actual cooling system leak. sometimes the leaks is difficult to spot because it only rears its head when cooling system is pressurized.

how about the freeze plug on the back of the block. is it still in good condition?

Quick Reply: Coolant Leak