Notices
EvoM New Member / FAQs / EvoM Rules New member? Come on in, introduce yourself, and get acquainted with the evolutionm.net posse :) FAQs will also be answered in here.

Do you consider the SST to be an automatic or a manual?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 16, 2010, 12:26 AM
FJF
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by atombomb33
The different technologies on the inside of a torque converter automatic vs. a dual-clutch automatic don't change the fact that both are transmissions that can/will/does shift itself. A manual transmission cannot/will not/does not shift itself. It's really that simple.
Agreed. Does it shift automatically? Yes? It's an automatic. No? It's a manual.
Old Jul 16, 2010, 12:19 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
When people say my car is an automatic, I don't even bother explaining what it is. Nothing to prove here!
Old Jul 16, 2010, 12:52 PM
Evolved Member

This automatic/non-automatic argument is so boring. It's been said 100 billion times, space aliens even know it, if it shifts for you it is an automatic.

Now if you aren't using a clutch but it still won't shift for you, then we can talk. By that, I mean no blanket of safety/comfort for idiot drivers who should just stick to regular automatic.

While we are on the subject: Are there any car companies out there who have released a good system (a la Porsche's PDK) that would let a 24 year old test drive the car? I've been out of the auto-manual loop for awhile, seeing as how I doubt I can find anything I like more than my Getrag 6-speed, but I'd love to get a chance to test one out. I really need to test an MR again too, since my last (and only) experience was lackluster at best.
Old Jul 16, 2010, 01:19 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by UT_Evo
This automatic/non-automatic argument is so boring. It's been said 100 billion times, space aliens even know it, if it shifts for you it is an automatic..
It only shifts for you if you put it in that mode.

It's not an "automatic" unless it has a torque converter and these don't.

BTW - I prefer the 5 speed. But you're wrong.
Old Jul 16, 2010, 01:22 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Automatic isn't describing how the car accomplishes shifting its the end game. It's a different type of automatic.

The car "automatically" shifts, no user work required as opposed to a manual that requires you to manually shift the car...technically it would be both really, how can't you guys wrap your head around this. This is a dumb argument...lets talk about something more worth while like Actresses' ***** or something.
Old Jul 16, 2010, 04:20 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by DefBringer
It only shifts for you if you put it in that mode.

It's not an "automatic" unless it has a torque converter and these don't.

BTW - I prefer the 5 speed. But you're wrong.
Oh really? Then how come in "that mode" my sister's BMW still shifts for you? Maybe you should clarify what you mean by "these" since I was assuming we were talking about ALL auto-manual systems here. I haven't driven an MR for over a year and a half now, but I swear even in "that mode" it still shifted for you, but I could have it blurred in with the dozen or so other "manumatic/auto-manual" cars I have driven.

And what is the 5 speed comment in reference to? My own personal experience and opinion on the one and only MR I have driven? Or the fact that I would prefer my own 6 speed transmission over all manual transmissions I have tried?
Old Jul 16, 2010, 08:07 PM
Evolving Member

Oh really? Then how come in "that mode" my sister's BMW still shifts for you? Maybe you should clarify what you mean by "these" since I was assuming we were talking about ALL auto-manual systems here. I haven't driven an MR for over a year and a half now, but I swear even in "that mode" it still shifted for you, but I could have it blurred in with the dozen or so other "manumatic/auto-manual" cars I have driven.

And what is the 5 speed comment in reference to? My own personal experience and opinion on the one and only MR I have driven? Or the fact that I would prefer my own 6 speed transmission over all manual transmissions I have tried?
So if someone made a robot-arm that connected to your dash and shifted the car for you as well as engaged the clutch pedal, would your 6 speed then become an automatic?
Old Jul 16, 2010, 09:24 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by DefBringer
So if someone made a robot-arm that connected to your dash and shifted the car for you as well as engaged the clutch pedal, would your 6 speed then become an automatic?
Bingo. Pretty much. There's some specifics you are missing that may change that. But yes, pretty much. It would be an automatic manual transmission. Auto-manual for short. But the small version of it, since it shifted automatically would be that it is an automatic transmission. Regardless of the inner workings of the whole system.
Old Jul 17, 2010, 07:13 AM
Evolving Member

Bingo. Pretty much. There's some specifics you are missing that may change that. But yes, pretty much. It would be an automatic manual transmission. Auto-manual for short. But the small version of it, since it shifted automatically would be that it is an automatic transmission. Regardless of the inner workings of the whole system.
So, regardless of the fact that the transmission *can* be used as a true manual...it is an automatic if the car can shift gears itself.
Old Jul 17, 2010, 02:21 PM

Ppl who drive GSR will say SST is automatic while ppl driving MR's will say its semi manual.
Old Jul 17, 2010, 02:40 PM
Evolved Member

do you use your left leg to modulate the clutch?
do you posses that skill or is the car doing the clutch action itself while you are shifting gear?

SST = boring. case closed.
Old Jul 17, 2010, 02:50 PM

good question. not quite as responsive as manual and not as slugish as auto, at least this SST. bear in mind that a true SST, sequential trans is the best and the most responsive.
Old Jul 17, 2010, 03:16 PM

Gallardo, Murcielago, F360/430/458/California/etc., Bugatti Veyron, BMW M3, Nissan GTR, Lexus LFA, Porsche PDK, etc. all have computer controlled single or dual clutch paddle shift transmissions. So, whatever you consider them should be the same category as the SST.

Other than that, who cares?
Old Jul 17, 2010, 03:40 PM
FJF
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Boostedfun
Gallardo, Murcielago, F360/430/458/California/etc., Bugatti Veyron, BMW M3, Nissan GTR, Lexus LFA, Porsche PDK, etc. all have computer controlled single or dual clutch paddle shift transmissions. So, whatever you consider them should be the same category as the SST.
Yes, they're all automatics. What is your point? It's not a matter of an automatic transmission being a bad thing; clearly, it's a matter of preference. Just as R&T chose a 6-speed 997TT to test, in lieu of a PDK, because they enjoyed it more (per the review).
Old Jul 17, 2010, 03:46 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
To all of the automatic transmission haters...how's that carburetor conversion coming along?

I'm sure if you can't stand the idea of an ECU controlled tranny, you certainly would not put up with an ECU controlled motor, right?

Thought I'd help you out....

And, yes, I did search and, yes, this is in fact a Mitsubishi carburetor. I'm not 100% sure if it fits the EVO intake or not...I'm thinkin' maybe not.

http://cncqhy.en.alibaba.com

And just in case you thought I was kidding, here is a pic of a 4G63 with carburetion.

So, post up those pics of your EVO engine bay with carbs!!!

Quick Reply: Do you consider the SST to be an automatic or a manual?