Notices
EvoM New Member / FAQs / EvoM Rules New member? Come on in, introduce yourself, and get acquainted with the evolutionm.net posse :) FAQs will also be answered in here.

Do you consider the SST to be an automatic or a manual?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 17, 2010, 04:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by FJF
Yes, they're all automatics. What is your point? It's not a matter of an automatic transmission being a bad thing; clearly, it's a matter of preference. Just as R&T chose a 6-speed 997TT to test, in lieu of a PDK, because they enjoyed it more (per the review).
The point is they all belong in the same group. So, whatever you consider one is what you should consider the others. Auto/semi-auto/manual. That is the answer to this thread.
Old Jul 17, 2010, 04:20 PM
FJF
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Boostedfun
The point is they all belong in the same group. So, whatever you consider one is what you should consider the others.
Who doesn't consider them the same, at least in concept? If it shifts automatically, it's an automatic transmission. I still don't understand why folks need to rationalize preferring an auto gearbox.
Old Jul 17, 2010, 04:29 PM

Originally Posted by FJF
Who doesn't consider them the same, at least in concept? If it shifts automatically, it's an automatic transmission. I still don't understand why folks need to rationalize preferring an auto gearbox.
No one is trying to rationalize anything. The OP asked a question. People gave their input. Some people argued over semantics. IE. traditionally, to most people, an automatic transmission refers to one with a torque converter. So some people disagreed with that. If it shifts automatically = automatic transmission also makes sense. Agreed.
Old Jul 17, 2010, 04:43 PM
FJF
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Boostedfun
No one is trying to rationalize anything.
That's not exactly true. While were on this subject, you have a MR, correct? Clearly, there's no indication of it under your username, as per the forum protocol. Ironic, given the flow of the discussion.

If it shifts automatically = automatic transmission also makes sense. Agreed.

Last edited by FJF; Jul 17, 2010 at 04:52 PM.
Old Jul 17, 2010, 04:53 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by DefBringer
So if someone made a robot-arm that connected to your dash and shifted the car for you as well as engaged the clutch pedal, would your 6 speed then become an automatic?
Only if it also had a robot foot to operate the clutch pedal too.

it's an automatic, semi-automatic, whatever. Now, if there was no 'automatic" mode, where you always had to paddle shift it yourself, then.... maybe it's a manual.
Old Jul 17, 2010, 05:48 PM

Last edited by pcload1etter; Jun 9, 2012 at 10:11 AM.
Old Jul 19, 2010, 09:55 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
It's easy to group all the transmissions into the same category, but to call a dual clutch tranny the same as an automatic without recognizing any of the differences just seems a bit ignorant, and biased to me. just seems like people who love traditional manuals are butt hurt that they are dying out, so no matter how good the new technologies are, you just won't like them no matter what.

I personally like both. I like having my clutch pedal, heel-toe downshifting, and everything else. that said, I also like the fact that with a dual clutch tranny I can downshift and brake for a corner easier than with a traditional manual.

my question is what do you think about the Z's new 6 speed that rev matches itself on downshifts. is that a semi-automatic since all you have to do is clutch and downshift because it automatically matches revs?

the lines between manual and automatic are becoming more and more blurred everyday, so whether you like it or not, you might as well get used to it and just enjoy the benefits.

To answer the original question though, no the SST is NOT an automatic. Yes, it can shift it's own gears like an automatic, BUT the driver can also select the gears himself just like a manual.

SO if the transmission is capable of doing BOTH, then how can it only be called an automatic?