Notices
EvoM New Member / FAQs / EvoM Rules New member? Come on in, introduce yourself, and get acquainted with the evolutionm.net posse :) FAQs will also be answered in here.

Do you consider the SST to be an automatic or a manual?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 14, 2010, 10:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Do you consider the SST to be an automatic or a manual?

Wait for the 11 4 door sedan sti, also coming with the dual clutch option i beleive!!!!
Old Jul 15, 2010, 04:19 AM
FJF
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by usarmy1113
Wait for the 11 4 door sedan sti, also coming with the dual clutch option i beleive!!!!
Another watered-down former rally car with an automatic on the horizon. Very exciting.
Old Jul 15, 2010, 05:50 AM
EvoM Administrator

Received 135 Likes on 81 Posts
Originally Posted by FJF
Another watered-down former rally car with an automatic on the horizon. Very exciting.

They can pry our clutch pedals off our cold, dead corpses, FJF. No automatics for me either; I don't care how smart they are. I like midrange torque.
Old Jul 15, 2010, 06:18 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You guys need to differentiate between automatics and dual-clutch transmissions. You can still pick your exact gears and rpms with a dual-clutch transmission. The only fault I see with the DCT (SST) right now is it's difficult to launch.
Old Jul 15, 2010, 06:36 AM
EvoM Administrator

Received 135 Likes on 81 Posts
Originally Posted by Crester
You guys need to differentiate between automatics and dual-clutch transmissions. You can still pick your exact gears and rpms with a dual-clutch transmission. The only fault I see with the DCT (SST) right now is it's difficult to launch.
I've heard this all before, and I understand the SST/DGT/SMG style transmissions are infinitely better than old school automatics with torque convertors. I also understand that the SST can shift much faster than I can.

The issues I have with the Evo SST are that it cannot reliably handle the amount of torque that the manual transmission can, it is expensive to upgrade, it overheats on track and forces you to slow down, its launching abilities are poor, and the level of driver involvement and tactile feel is substantially reduced. All that seems like a large bag of compromises to me, especially when you can pay less and get a proper manual. Call me silly, but I also prefer a driver operated clutch pedal.
Old Jul 15, 2010, 06:40 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Noize
I've heard this all before, and I understand the SST/DGT/SMG style transmissions are infinitely better than old school automatics with torque convertors. I also understand that the SST can shift much faster than I can.

The issues I have with the Evo SST are that it cannot reliably handle the amount of torque that the manual transmission can, it is expensive to upgrade, it overheats on track and forces you to slow down, its launching abilities are poor, and the level of driver involvement and tactile feel is substantially reduced. All that seems like a large bag of compromises to me, especially when you can pay less and get a proper manual. Call me silly, but I also prefer a driver operated clutch pedal.
x2...even if it worked exactly the same, was the same price and had no shortcomings, just simply computer controlled and paddle shifters, I still would go manual...the SST is just boring to me.
Old Jul 15, 2010, 11:35 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by usarmy1113
No dual clutch options on the 2011 STI.
Old Jul 15, 2010, 02:22 PM
EvoM Community Team

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Crester
Not really. To boil this down as simple as possible (otherwise I could write a several page diatribe)...if it can shift itself, it is an automatic. No other way around that.
Old Jul 15, 2010, 06:05 PM
EvoM Community Team

Received 62 Likes on 59 Posts
Originally Posted by atombomb33
Not really. To boil this down as simple as possible (otherwise I could write a several page diatribe)...if it can shift itself, it is an automatic. No other way around that.
I completely disagree with you there. 100% completely different technology. One has an electronic shifter that you can have 100% control over, one a torque converter that you have no control over. Big difference.
Old Jul 15, 2010, 07:55 PM
EvoM Community Team

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by migs647
I completely disagree with you there. 100% completely different technology. One has an electronic shifter that you can have 100% control over, one a torque converter that you have no control over. Big difference.
The different technologies on the inside of a torque converter automatic vs. a dual-clutch automatic don't change the fact that both are transmissions that can/will/does shift itself. A manual transmission cannot/will not/does not shift itself. It's really that simple.

Put it this way. We could go to a strip club tonight and see a girl with fake ***** and one with real *****. Different technologies inside, but they are both *****

Last edited by atombomb33; Jul 15, 2010 at 07:58 PM.
Old Jul 15, 2010, 08:04 PM
EvoM Community Team

LOL, while I like your analogy I don't think it applies

I just feel that putting the SST in a class of an automatic transmission isn't appropriate. I feel (imo) there are three main classes of transmissions (since hardly anyone runs sequential). Normal automatic, normal manual, and electronic manual. That's how I look at it, what it has to do with the conversation I have no idea How i the hell did I get subscribed to this thread in the first place Damn mods are mergaholics

Either way, from the sounds of it, it doesn't sound like the STy will have a dual clutch tranny for '11.
Old Jul 15, 2010, 08:31 PM
Evolved Member

Received 242 Likes on 218 Posts
LOL, while I like your analogy I don't think it applies

I just feel that putting the SST in a class of an automatic transmission isn't appropriate. I feel (imo) there are three main classes of transmissions (since hardly anyone runs sequential). Normal automatic, normal manual, and electronic manual. That's how I look at it, what it has to do with the conversation I have no idea How i the hell did I get subscribed to this thread in the first place Damn mods are mergaholics

Either way, from the sounds of it, it doesn't sound like the STy will have a dual clutch tranny for '11.
I think he's referring to "automatic" in that the driver does not manually move the shifter, clutch, and physically change the gear himself.
The reason people with dual clutches are denying the term "automatic" is because of the negative connotation. If people were calling it a torque converter, I'd see the problem - but no one is..

basically, he is saying it is an AUTOMATED manual transmission... lol does that make everyone happy now?
Old Jul 15, 2010, 08:39 PM
EvoM Community Team

Originally Posted by kyooch
I think he's referring to "automatic" in that the driver does not manually move the shifter, clutch, and physically change the gear himself.
The reason people with dual clutches are denying the term "automatic" is because of the negative connotation. If people were calling it a torque converter, I'd see the problem - but no one is..

basically, he is saying it is an AUTOMATED manual transmission... lol does that make everyone happy now?
Yes

I don't own either but I have to disagree with you there.. the M3s motor is fantastic - I think it is one of the best n/a motors on the market. I think what you're arguing is between forced induction and natural aspiration.. honestly I'd take natural aspiration every day; I don't care if the turbo 6 m3 is quicker, faster, torquier, whatever.. Natural aspiration provides a connection that turbocharged cars have yet to match. If you want the fastest thing possible just get a gtr or whatever..
Man, don't agree with you on the GTR. I almost bought a GT-R last month. I was very close to trading in the Evo X and "upgrading". I spent a good amount of time on the forums, reading about them, finding out everything I could. The GT-R has too many issues imo. Nissan seems to be finicky with warranty work as well. And since you have to be an approved dealer with an approved tech area (specifically updated for the GT-R) you can not work on them. So the closest shop is an hour away from here and I'd be at their mercy for any warranty work. Which seems will come up. Not to mention there isn't a lot you can do to a GT-R. GT-R isn't as great as everyone has been making it out to be. I'll stick with my X MR until something better comes along. Sorry for the OTP.
Old Jul 15, 2010, 08:40 PM
Evolved Member

I think you made a good point... the reason I pointed out the difference is exactly because of the torque converter. Some people say "they are both automatics" as if the SST behaves as a torque converter transmission... which is terribly false.

But yes... technically the SST is automated and can make its own gear changes.
Old Jul 15, 2010, 09:34 PM
Evolved Member

Received 242 Likes on 218 Posts
Yes

Man, don't agree with you on the GTR. I almost bought a GT-R last month. I was very close to trading in the Evo X and "upgrading". I spent a good amount of time on the forums, reading about them, finding out everything I could. The GT-R has too many issues imo. Nissan seems to be finicky with warranty work as well. And since you have to be an approved dealer with an approved tech area (specifically updated for the GT-R) you can not work on them. So the closest shop is an hour away from here and I'd be at their mercy for any warranty work. Which seems will come up. Not to mention there isn't a lot you can do to a GT-R. GT-R isn't as great as everyone has been making it out to be. I'll stick with my X MR until something better comes along. Sorry for the OTP.
no you're right, good point on the gt-r - i only mentioned it because it is today's stereotypical all-about-speed-no-driving-passion car =]

i wouldn't get it either

Quick Reply: Do you consider the SST to be an automatic or a manual?