Notices
EvoM New Member / FAQs / EvoM Rules New member? Come on in, introduce yourself, and get acquainted with the evolutionm.net posse :) FAQs will also be answered in here.

Looking for Tips on Buying an Evo

Search this Thread

Old Aug 6, 2010, 06:41 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Looking for Tips on Buying an Evo

Hi,

I did a quick search but perhaps with the wrong parameters. I'm looking to get rid of my 04 mustang gt and pick up an evo, however, I'm not sure what to look for when I'm out on the hunt. I'm primarily talking 03-07 models.

In the past I've owned a DSM so I know the 4g63 decently well but I understand the evo is different, what problems is the evo's 4g63 prone to?

What should i look for on the exterior/interior?

What are some common issues and things that I can ask the owner to see if he knows about the car and issues it may have so that i know he is not a total idiot, especially when looking at a modded evo?

How well does the Evo do when it has over 100k miles on it?

How is insurance? (assuming i'm 22 and do not have any accidents on my record and 1 ticket for 8 over)

How is the Fuel Economy? I drive from Savannah to Kansas city 4 times a year so that may be nice to get over the 26 Mpg that i get on the mustang on that trip.

What are some common things that people will mess up during modding?

Does a stock evo have a recirculation valve or a blow off valve and how does it react to aftermarket BoVs? Does it bog as bad as a DSM?

If I do buy the car Private Party, when i take it to a mechanic to get it checked out what are the main things to look at?

How should shifting feel? (Crisp, smooth, soft/hard?)

Sorry for the wall of questions.

Thanks,
Andy

PS TY for moving this to the correct area

Last edited by Htchero; Aug 6, 2010 at 07:03 AM.
Old Aug 6, 2010, 10:12 PM
Evolving Member

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...oking-evo.html
Good Luck.
Old Aug 7, 2010, 11:17 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Htchero
Hi,

I did a quick search but perhaps with the wrong parameters. I'm looking to get rid of my 04 mustang gt and pick up an evo, however, I'm not sure what to look for when I'm out on the hunt. I'm primarily talking 03-07 models.

In the past I've owned a DSM so I know the 4g63 decently well but I understand the evo is different, what problems is the evo's 4g63 prone to?

Keep it stock or lightly modded and it will run for over 100k miles easily, crank walk is not common problem any more.

What should i look for on the exterior/interior?

Cleaner the better

What are some common issues and things that I can ask the owner to see if he knows about the car and issues it may have so that i know he is not a total idiot, especially when looking at a modded evo?

Ask for the name of the shop and just look over the work, if it looks like crap stay away, if it looks like a clean install and someone took the time to do it right then your probably ok.

How well does the Evo do when it has over 100k miles on it?

Depends on car and how it was treated, some do great.

How is insurance? (assuming i'm 22 and do not have any accidents on my record and 1 ticket for 8 over)

Call your insurance company and get a quote

How is the Fuel Economy? I drive from Savannah to Kansas city 4 times a year so that may be nice to get over the 26 Mpg that i get on the mustang on that trip.

Probably not going to happen. The Mustang has a tall highway gear to get that mileage. You may be able to get 22-24 or a little better depending on your tune and how light you are on the throttle.

What are some common things that people will mess up during modding?

Wiring, putting all the bolts back in, making sure pipes and couplers are sealed, reconnecting all hoses and brackets.

Does a stock evo have a recirculation valve or a blow off valve and how does it react to aftermarket BoVs? Does it bog as bad as a DSM?

Recirculation, unless you have a serious desire to sound like Toretto keep it with a recirc'd valve.

If I do buy the car Private Party, when i take it to a mechanic to get it checked out what are the main things to look at?

Compression test, OBDII codes, parts that have been hastily removed and replaced with stock parts because the seller doesn't want to give away his expensive stuff. Often times they can be installed incorrectly.

How should shifting feel? (Crisp, smooth, soft/hard?)

Smooth and soft with little or no grinding. If the tranny is modded it will feel different.

Sorry for the wall of questions.

Thanks,
Andy

PS TY for moving this to the correct area
Answered
Old Aug 9, 2010, 07:48 AM

Thanks