Notices
EvoM New Member / FAQs / EvoM Rules New member? Come on in, introduce yourself, and get acquainted with the evolutionm.net posse :) FAQs will also be answered in here.

How long can you leave a car without driving it?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 7, 2010, 09:05 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How long can you leave a car without driving it?

I might be buying an evo very soon, but it will be my summer/ winter car, 1 month in the winter and about 3 months in the summer ( cause im leaving it here and im going to FL for university, but i will be back here at home every winter/ summer break. So what should i do to keep the car good? shall i tell my parents to like turn it on for 5 mins every week or so? or should they drive it as well?
Old Aug 7, 2010, 09:24 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
it's gonna be ok, if they turn in on a few times a week and drive it once a month or so =]
Old Aug 7, 2010, 09:35 AM
Evolving Member

My solution to a similar situation has been to have the car started and let it idle for about 30 minutes once a week. I could be wrong, but I feel that that will allow the battery time to recharge, the thermastat can open and allow coolant to cycle and the oil can reach opperating temp.
Old Aug 7, 2010, 09:41 AM

What i've heard was, its good to run the car ofcourse for the injectors, fuel pump, oil and coolant, and block of the car. But its also important to drive it so any seals, differention etc doesnt get jammed... i just dont know every how long i should do each one :S
Old Aug 7, 2010, 12:20 PM

you have to drive it... I knew a person that had a classic corvette they let sit and ran once a month (didnt drive it) and all the seals rotted
Old Aug 7, 2010, 03:59 PM
Evolving Member

Drain all the fluids out, disconnect the battery and leave it for 30 years. You might want to do something about mice if they frequent your area.
Old Aug 8, 2010, 02:48 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What you can do if your not going to start it up right away is to put a small cap of oil in each cylinder to get lubrication at the top and let it idle up and run on its own.

Probably for like 10 minutes and you should be good. Usually on start up theres no oil literally at the walls for months. Thats what ive learned could be wrong though
Old Aug 8, 2010, 07:22 PM

For starters I would connect a Battery Tender to it. The small Junior should be just fine. Just starting the car once in awhile will not charge the battery; if I remember correctly the charging system will not kick in until your over a couple thousand RPM. As far as the fuel goes, I would leave as little petrol in it as possible. Petrol has a lifespan and will deteriorate, I am picky about running old fuel (ie. more than a couple months) in my cars. You can use fuel stabilizers before it sits but after it has been sitting there is no bringing the fuel back to life. My two cents, I hope this helps
Old Aug 8, 2010, 07:28 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by evosam726
it's gonna be ok, if they turn in on a few times a week and drive it once a month or so =]
What he said, keep her workin a little...
Old Aug 9, 2010, 11:54 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
i was in a similar situation with my car because i was trying to sell it and i never drove it but i started it up like once a week and drove it around the block and it was fine

-anthony
Old Aug 10, 2010, 09:05 AM

Now I am worried...

My car has been parked without moving or being started since January 18th. My wife is scared of it and was too busy to start it, so the battery is dead. Now she tells me the tires are flat too. I have been deployed since then and will be home in less than a week. I hope it isn't too bad!