Notices
EvoM New Member / FAQs / EvoM Rules New member? Come on in, introduce yourself, and get acquainted with the evolutionm.net posse :) FAQs will also be answered in here.

Need advice on daily driving the evo

Search this Thread

Old Aug 10, 2010, 11:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need advice on daily driving the evo

Hi everyone im currently in the market for a reliable, fun and if possible good gas milage daily driver. Ive been looking at other sport cars and im intrested in a few. I didnt give much thought to a evo to recently. Ive done some research and ive read some usual defects they have but havent seen nothing big yet aside from the breaking of the tranny due to higher hp/tq.

If i go evo i plan to keep it mainly stock or just basic bolts for a low 12 sec car with maybe some ccw and a nice drop. Ive read tha the suspension can be unforgiving at times but my commute is very short maybe 30 miles both ways and on nice roads.

Also read about the paint issue but it seemed it was more with the north car that saw snow correct me if im wrong here.

Also plan on towing 1 jetski. I came up on a thread that some guy wanted to tow two jetskis and some advice against it. But heck i seen a corolla pull a jetski with no problem at all. So i think an evo will do that just fine.

I cycle here and there so im planning on going wingless so i can install the bike rack.

Overall this car seems able to perform all the functions that i need it to do so.

My questions to you all is if you agree here and what would be the best choice model for my need for example 5spd gsr or 6spd mr? What basic problems may i ecounter with daily drving the evo if any?
Old Aug 10, 2010, 12:04 PM
Evolved Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
I always regretted not getting the 6-speed, I think it makes for a nicer daily-driver with it's longer gearing.

Daily driver problems: smashed bugs in the intercooler

Like any car, treat it well and stay up on the maintenance; it will be good to you in return.
Old Aug 10, 2010, 12:21 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
paint was more crappy on models 03-04's, I think 05+ MR 6spd would fit your needs.
Old Aug 10, 2010, 12:34 PM
Evolving Member

i dd my 06 mr with a 6 speed and autox the hell out of it.. stock tranny stock suspension 400hp 400tq and a twin disc clutch. I have no issues with the car, i think its smooth and a great daily. My gf hates it but thats just cuz shes ur typical italian princess who doesnt understand cars. you know the ones who think Automatics were the 1st cars made and that standards are just for people with add...
Old Aug 10, 2010, 12:48 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by fairlady2jz

My questions to you all is if you agree here and what would be the best choice model for my need for example 5spd gsr or 6spd mr? What basic problems may i ecounter with daily drving the evo if any?
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...000-miles.html

This was my thread.

I would say I would have liked a 6 speed for better fuel economy.

Good luck
Old Aug 11, 2010, 10:29 PM

Originally Posted by 4RETECH
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...000-miles.html

This was my thread.

I would say I would have liked a 6 speed for better fuel economy.

Good luck
I gotta say that's impressive 200k on a gas engine and still runs fine is a good sign. I guess as long as your good to it it'll be good to you.

Anyone else got some input on certain things i should consider about the evo?