Notices
EvoM New Member / FAQs / EvoM Rules New member? Come on in, introduce yourself, and get acquainted with the evolutionm.net posse :) FAQs will also be answered in here.

First time you ever Test-drove/Rode in an Evo?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 12, 2010, 11:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So, I have always wanted an evo and still do, but I have never had the oppurtunity to drive one or ride in one, and I don't wanna tease myself by going to a dealership and test driving one, till I can afford one!

so the question I have is, what was everyone indiviual impression after driving or riding in an Evo for the first time, and of course what car you drove before that (since if you had a Veyron your impression might be different than someone with a Civic!). Lets hear the stories!
Old Aug 13, 2010, 12:16 AM

this is my post after your post

------

I think I've read every review and watched all the youtube videos about this car and yet I didn't know what to expect from IT.. So is it normal to experience following parallel feelings?

> is this car really made by Mitsu?
> why is it so hard to breath when it's in Super sport mode?
> did i just have sex with a 19-yr old where i wanted to do everything from start to finish and repeat all over again..
> i'm so glad i bought a bmw first so i know how brilliant Evo drives now..
> i couldn't tell it had only 4 cylinder and 4 means death in Chinese but it's also 2.0cc so 4 times 2 is 8 and 8 is prosperity or some sort in Chinese and it's my lucky number.. ya i know..
> why do all Mitsu dealers look like an oversize roach coach...
> I love the Ricaro seats and I would sleep in it..
> I can't wait to scare the crap out of my co-workers with the Rockford stereo (btw, i don't see a USB port for my ipod)

My specs: middle aged, asian, 6'1", 187lbs
Current car: 08 BMW 335i

Test car specs: '10 Evo MR Touring, Phantom blk, 55miles, Glendale Mitsu
Old Aug 13, 2010, 12:40 AM

is it really that much better/faster/better handling? I mean I drive a Civic coupe (and I drive the crap out of it). and I feel that although it doesn't handle very well, it does pull pretty good and can accelerate if I downshift. But i have a friend that just test drove an Evo and he can't stop saying how HUGE of a difference it is!
Old Aug 13, 2010, 12:53 AM

i read every review and watched every video.

i had a boosted lancer RA roughly 250-300HP. it pulled pretty hard especially with a downshift, then i got a chance to buy a cheap evo 8. it was winter time and the guy didnt have insurance on it and it had summer tires on, without even test driving it i showed up the next day with cash hand and all the proper documents, then proceeded to "rally race" (winter time, summer tires, sideways around a corner at 5mph haha ) around the city... i loved this car.

and then i hit the highway, nice dry roads, and i scared the **** outta myself just going straight. this car pulled hard and cornered better then a hollywood hooker. next week i spent over $700 in gas. who says money cant buy happiness
Old Aug 13, 2010, 03:01 AM

My previous car was a Mazdaspeed 3 (2007 GT) with a few light mods (short ram intake, short shift plate, stiffer rear motor mount, AccessPORT using Stage 1 map, one step colder spark plugs, new back pressure valve, lighter rims (17s instead of 18s), wider tires (235 compared to 215) - saved 8 lbs per wheel if I remember right, and a stiffer rear sway bar). That car is a bunch of fun to drive! Going from 6th to 3rd at highway speed to pass is a blast! As is putting it in 2nd (top speed ~50 with my mods) while driving around the city! If it was all wheel drive I probably wouldn't have moved to the Evo. It's not like the car was a beast to drive or anything, but if you put the pedal down you better be holding on when the turbo kicks in. The torque steer and lack of grip made launching difficult, but when you got it right it was like being shot by a slingshot. I realize it's not as fast as the X in 0-60, but it is still pretty darn fast and possibly faster from a roll.

I have limited experience in Evo Xes so far (one test drive in one X and ~150 miles in the X I bought) so I reserve the right to change my opinion as I learn more...

Honestly, the Evo X SST feels slower than my Mazdaspeed 3. I'm pretty sure the Evo is actually faster than my MS3, but the all wheel drive and S-AWC make the car feel like it's accelerating less quickly. And until the turbo kicks in the 2.0 liter motor is down-right gutless. Mashing the pedal off the line is kinda disappointing (the launch control function may help if you're willing to hold the gas and brakes at the same time - something I'm not keen on doing myself). Once the turbo spools up the car turns into a rocket though. The SST is awesome! Buttery smooth and sounds really nice too. I think with some practice with the paddle shifters I'll get back the freeway passing prowess that the MS3 has.

Since I drove my Evo X (MR Touring) away from the dealer I've had an opportunity to take it around some fairly twisty roads near where I live. All I can say is "holy crap does this thing handle well!" I was able to accelerate through what were formally "white knuckle" corners in my MS3. I was pushing it and I didn't even hear the tires squeal (perhaps they did, but I didn't hear them). Going from the fear and reality of FWD under steer to Super All Wheel Control is dramatic. Some people might say it's like "night and day"... which I would say is an exaggeration. I'd say it's like "evening to night" or like comparing a decent smart phone camera to a decent point-and-shoot camera - both will take nice looking photos, but the point-and-shoot will always be better.

Last edited by Hirudin; Aug 13, 2010 at 03:28 AM.
Old Aug 13, 2010, 04:57 AM
AFD
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by wolverinepwns
1st time I ever drove an Evo (or even sat in one), was after I bought mine and had it shipped over from CA.

Drove cheap beaters all my life, so yeah.. I guess anything would've been an improvement, lol. It was just a car I always enjoyed watching when SPEED channel used to show WRC footage, and it was always one of my favorite cars when playing Gran Turismo. Guess that sounds kinda dumb.. but spec-wise, it was almost everything I was looking for at a fairly reasonable price. Think a GT-R would've had the perfect specs I was after.. other than its $80k price tag, lol.

Anyway.. guess my 1st impression when driving was thinking that I'd never be able to take full advantage of what this car is capable of, at least on any of the roads around here.. and that's still true today. Definitely a fun daily-driver, but I think I really need to hit the track someday to fully appreciate it.
Old Aug 13, 2010, 10:02 AM

is it really that much better/faster/better handling? I mean I drive a Civic coupe (and I drive the crap out of it). and I feel that although it doesn't handle very well, it does pull pretty good and can accelerate if I downshift. But i have a friend that just test drove an Evo and he can't stop saying how HUGE of a difference it is!
As a former owner of civic si in the 90's and Lancer OZ rally edition in early 2000's, I can concur that Evo doesn't feel like it came from the same Mitsu/family. I currently drive 335i and my heart pounds faster in EVO.. I love its nicely weighted steering, small and thick like my 335.. Remember, you're not just buying EVO for its 0-60, you can get a new Camero for that. You're buying it to show off your middle finger before you turn every corner in any part of this world and yell "You call this a turn! Eff-U put me on the roller coaster *****!"
Old Aug 13, 2010, 10:17 AM

So, I have always wanted an evo and still do, but I have never had the oppurtunity to drive one or ride in one, and I don't wanna tease myself by going to a dealership and test driving one, till I can afford one!

so the question I have is, what was everyone indiviual impression after driving or riding in an Evo for the first time, and of course what car you drove before that (since if you had a Veyron your impression might be different than someone with a Civic!). Lets hear the stories!
If you live in LA, I'll let you test-drive it after I closed the deal.. if you're over 18..
Old Aug 13, 2010, 11:54 AM

The dealer in Hawaii wouldn't let anyone test drive it unless you were pretty much pre-approved for the loan. Apparently they let someone test drive one and ended up blowing the engine.

Once the boost kicked in, I was sold though...
Old Aug 14, 2010, 01:07 AM

Originally Posted by tokyosamurai
If you live in LA, I'll let you test-drive it after I closed the deal.. if you're over 18..

As amazing as that offer is (i'm 24 haha), I don't think I can do that to myself. Last time I test drove anything (07 Yamah R6) I ended up buying one within the month. Since I'm planning on saving up the whole $33K so i can buy the EvoX cash I don't think its a wise decision for me to even get into one untill I at least hit the $30K mile stone! i keep reminding myself: "delay of gratification, delay of gratification"
Old Aug 14, 2010, 01:40 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
LOL, I used to drive a Veyron for a customer. Not too impressed, no cig lighter accesory plug,.

Anyway, I have driven all sorts of sports cars and I would have to say for me the EVO is always fun. My brother has aWRX that we modded, but it just isn't the same.

I drove my Evo and got it within 3 hours at the dealer, of course it was used. Dealers in my area don't let anyone drive the new evo's.

Good luck
Old Aug 14, 2010, 02:27 PM

amazing cars... I recently drove my friends 8 with 545hp and it pulls harder then many 750-1000cc street bikes. Your checks pull back and you get dizzy light headed when the turbo spools up...amazing! I couldn't amagine a 600+hp evo.
Old Aug 14, 2010, 06:17 PM

i had dreamed about owning an evo for many years, but never had enough cash flow. then i finally had some cash saved up and i couldn't resist the urge any longer. i went on a test drive and couldn't stop smiling for days after, which is when i went back to the dealer and bought my 04 evo VIII. i got a really good deal on the car, or so i thought. i only had it for about 2 months before the engine blew. it's at the shop now getting repaired. i don't regret the purchase because i know when i get it back it's going to be all smiles again. not much better than the hug your recaro seats give you when your turbo kicks in. my word of caution is to take your time when buying one. i was blinded by the fact i was about to own my dream car and i didn't look over the car as thoroughly as i should have. live and learn i guess
Old Aug 15, 2010, 11:13 AM
Evolving Member

first time I actually drove an evo (alone) was yesterday...and i bought it. i've been around the cars for a while and inside some as well, but it wasn't until I had some alone time with it that I realized the craze. the evo 9 mr is just a perfectly balanced street car. the suspension seems to be dialed in perfectly, the turbo spools quick enough and hits hard enough that you soon realize its a quick car. i couldn't imagine going home without one yesterday. i came from wrx's and that turd felt like it wasn't even turbo compared to this beast; a world of difference.

beauty is that my evo has never been modified with the exception of an exhaust. perfectly maintained, all receipts and everything. i plan on keeping her that way because i'm very impressed in its stock form. cleaner cars are harder to find than highly modded up, slowly dying evo's.
Old Aug 15, 2010, 01:21 PM

I went to mitsubishi in 06 to get into an MR....I never test drove it untill i picked it up (do yourself a favor and stay out of one untill then).

It was like christmas morning every day for a month straight.