Notices
EvoM New Member / FAQs / EvoM Rules New member? Come on in, introduce yourself, and get acquainted with the evolutionm.net posse :) FAQs will also be answered in here.

Evo Ix vs STi driving impressions

Search this Thread

Old Aug 20, 2010, 06:16 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bechbum82
Wow, are they that bad, or does he drive on some crap roads

They still work properly just make a clunking noise when hitting certain road surfaces/bumps. Its not annoying to me, I wouldn't have my STi/evo any other way....Noisey, and raw FTW
Old Aug 20, 2010, 06:18 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by ezzey
Indeed. The evos tranny is amazing imo, and the handling isnt any worse on snow/ dirt when compared to the sti

And as mentioned above, the sti struts go pretty quick

They dont actually "go" they make a clunk, which can be taken care of with some proper lubrication.
Old Aug 20, 2010, 06:21 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by High_PSI
An 07 STI is worth owning due to it has proper gearing, it does not handle like an Evo, nothing does. The Evo is simply a superior performance car in almost all categories. The STI has better fit and finish and daily driving characteristics.

Nah the 07+ gearing is not as fun IMO, plus 4th gear actually pulls harder(higher overall gear) on the 04-06, 07 is just longer, which is better for drag racing.
Old Aug 20, 2010, 06:23 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 350 Likes on 264 Posts
If your looking for a weekend warrior to mod that responds well to upgrades look no further than the evo. The Sti may be similar but its clearly designed more for creature comforts. In all honesty if you aren't over the age of 70 you will find every reason to love the evo.
Old Aug 20, 2010, 07:23 PM

I love my evo very much, wouldnt trade her for antyhing but honestly both cars in stock form, gotta love the torque in the sti, and i really like the sti better for daily driving, especially since i live in az, the sti is a much better daily here, the evo honestly drives so bad with the ac on but evos are better looking, love the sound of the exhaust, the tranny is stiff and notchy( the way i like it too) overall they are both good cars
Old Aug 20, 2010, 07:27 PM
Account Disabled

i had an evo 8 and then it got totaled so i decided to try out the sti. i had it for about 9 months and it just wasnt cutting it. The car just does not compare, the handleing #1 is ****. The evo out handles it anyday. I sold it and got an evo 9 mr. never looked back..hoped that helped
Old Aug 20, 2010, 10:17 PM

Wow nice thread I own both cars an 04 STI and a 04 Evo RS: Here are the mods:

04 STI
Racecomp Engineering Springs
Racecomp Adjustable camber plates
Cobb Swaybars
Invidia exhaust
Helix Catless DP
Helix up-pipe
Q-rack , quick ratio steering rack 11.5
stainless steel brake hoses
Ferodo DS 2500 brake pads
SPT intake
Killer B oil pick up pipe and oil pan
Cusco Brake master brace
Oswald Performance Aluminum front bumper beam
Stage 2 Clark Turner Pro-tune
Braille racing battery

This is all the performance affecting parts on the car. I have owned the car since Feb 2004.

04 Evo RS

Tien S-tech springs
ARC intake
Apexi cat back exhaust

This is all that is on the performance affecting parts so far I have owned the car since March 2010

Name:  IMG_2662.jpg
Views: 0
Size:  28.6 KB

This cars feel the same handling wise with all the aftermarket parts I have on the STI. There is a small advantage on low end grunt on the STI. The STI has a transmission ratio that is so close. I like the Evo's transmission. Both cars are set-up for autocrossing. The EVo's seats are more comfortable. The EVO feels so much lighter to drive probably because it is a lighter car.

On a side note the EVO has a more golfer friendly trunk! But I love them both just like people they both have their strengths and weaknesses.

BTW my brother owns an 04 VIII GSR and a 06 MR
Old Aug 20, 2010, 11:19 PM
Evolving Member

From what I ve felt the STI is a daily driver and the Evo is more a track car/faster car. The STI isnt a bad car however, insurance being insanely high and the car being slower and more expensive. Evos ftmfw!
Old Aug 20, 2010, 11:32 PM
Evolving Member

My best friend has an STI and I have a IX.

The Sti is a slightly better daily on account of the shorter gears, heavier flywheel, and of course the Cheater motor (2.5 litres).

Evo feels better. It feels sooo much lighter, its faster, Better seats, more space in the back for friends, 4 effing cup holders, easy to make more power.... blah blah blah

I love evo's
Old Aug 21, 2010, 12:12 AM
Evolving Member

Well I already have an STi, but am looking for more power while retaining F/i, and AWD so the EVO is my next choice. The STi doesn't drive that good with the a/c on as someone mentioned, but i think I will need to just drive one and find out. The STi feels like a very solid car, does the Evo have that same rugged feel to it, I'm not sure how to explain it but it feels very durable and rugged, and rigid. lol Anyway thanks to the people who gave a legit response!
Old Aug 21, 2010, 01:42 PM

For what it is worth my STI has beat quite a few EVO's at the Autocross after all the mods I have right now the car does not have the understeer issue and the steering feels the same as the EVO because of the quick ratio steering rack. I can adjust tire pressure to make the care be neutral or rotate at the turns.

Now after racing the EVO a few races it is now the designated race car and my STI is retired to just cruising duties. The EVO just handles so well right off the box. Engine has enough power to be competitive in stock form.

And also bothe these cars did not come with a radio nor a sunroof. I love them both. I have 2 sons and one day one will get the STI and the other the EVO. I will just drive my 1970 Mini Cooper S