Notices
EvoM New Member / FAQs / EvoM Rules New member? Come on in, introduce yourself, and get acquainted with the evolutionm.net posse :) FAQs will also be answered in here.

Evo Ix vs STi driving impressions

Search this Thread

Old Aug 19, 2010, 04:39 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Evo Ix vs STi driving impressions

Now I'm fully aware this is an Evo forum, and expect the Evo to be favored here. What I'm looking for is honest answers from people who have owned both the STi and Evo 8/9(9 more specifically). How would you compare the feel of the STi and Evo, are they similar? What I mean by this is how do they handle compared to each other in stock(ish) form, how do they feel while accelerating(which feels like a faster car), only concerned with stock turbo. Mainly how do the gearbox's compare, I love the T56 out of the STi and my worry is that if I switch over I'm not going to like the 5 speed as well, does it shift as firm, and notchy(yes I like that)? Which one did you honestly like better, lets say in stock form because I'm aware the Evo responds much better to mods, and which one has been more reliabile for you( basic mods or stock, i.e not larger turbo)

Now you may be asking why don't I just go test drive an Evo 9, well I've looked in my area and they don't have any within reasonable driving distance. I have no interest in the Evo X. Currently I have a 300whp STi which I love, but I am looking for power without spending insane amounts of money which is really the only way to make an STi run in the 11s. I've been doing plenty of research on here and it seems 11s is not uncommon for a stock turbo IX. Also the cast-iron block and forged internals is a big plus compared to subarus aluminum and weak pistons.

Thanks everyone
Old Aug 19, 2010, 05:37 PM
Evolving Member

I'm interested in finding out as well, as I've been looking for either a EVO IX MR or STi.

Eric
Old Aug 19, 2010, 05:40 PM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
my brother owns an sti and i own an evo 9. we both agree the evo is a much better car for daily driving and for fun. the sti feels sluggish and doesnt feel fast at all. i hate the way the gear box feels in the sti, doesnt feel like its in gear and is very crappy feeling but couldnt imagine driving anything other than the evo.
Old Aug 19, 2010, 05:51 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by evo8426
my brother owns an sti and i own an evo 9. we both agree the evo is a much better car for daily driving and for fun. the sti feels sluggish and doesnt feel fast at all. i hate the way the gear box feels in the sti, doesnt feel like its in gear and is very crappy feeling but couldnt imagine driving anything other than the evo.

i would have to agree. The evo feels crisp and sharp. The scooby, fells fat blooted to me. But it does have a smoother ride tho....
Old Aug 19, 2010, 05:55 PM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by bechbum82
i would have to agree. The evo feels crisp and sharp. The scooby, fells fat blooted to me. But it does have a smoother ride tho....
forgot to mention he has had the right rear strut replaced 2 times and the left rear 1 time all in 70000 miles
Old Aug 19, 2010, 06:00 PM
FJF
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...e-evo-sti.html
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...e-evo-sti.html
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...03-05-evo.html
Old Aug 19, 2010, 06:00 PM
Evolving Member

forgot to mention he has had the right rear strut replaced 2 times and the left rear 1 time all in 70000 miles
Wow, are they that bad, or does he drive on some crap roads
Old Aug 19, 2010, 06:03 PM
Evolving Member

I have a few friends with STIs two with 04s another an 06, driven all three of em, the turn in and handling alone on the evo makes it sooooo much better
Old Aug 19, 2010, 07:05 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have owned a wrx (not sti) for over four years, and it was a great dd with very little maintenance. The only thing i had to change in over four years was the o2 sensor, not including regular maintenance, such as; sparks, fuel filter, air filter, oil, the general.

The interior is great, and the car looked great. But after driving an evo.... it ended there =) The handling of both cars doesn't compare, and the evo also looks sharp! and it doesn't end there. I know im comparing my old wrx to an evo, but i've been in an STI enough times, and wouldn't think twice if i had to chose between and evo and an sti.

All the STI's come in 6spd which i actually dislike how short the gears are, and every evo is 5spd +2034234, besides the MR's which are 6spd.

dj
Old Aug 19, 2010, 07:24 PM
Evolved Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
An 07 STI is worth owning due to it has proper gearing, it does not handle like an Evo, nothing does. The Evo is simply a superior performance car in almost all categories. The STI has better fit and finish and daily driving characteristics.
Old Aug 19, 2010, 07:28 PM
Evolved Member

are you serious??? there is like 5 threads on this sti vs evo comparison. search and you shall find..
Old Aug 19, 2010, 08:34 PM
Evolving Member

Sti is harder to work on.
Old Aug 19, 2010, 08:49 PM

^^This! I had to replace all 4 factory struts at 40k miles (with KW V3s ), also sti's engines are garbage, if it's not a spun rod bearing it's a cracked ringland. Get an evo i regret that I didn't, sti's are better in dirt and snow, and have very solid trannys though.
Old Aug 20, 2010, 05:18 AM

The evo handles like it's on rails.
Old Aug 20, 2010, 07:39 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Gibles
The evo handles like it's on rails.
Indeed. The evos tranny is amazing imo, and the handling isnt any worse on snow/ dirt when compared to the sti

And as mentioned above, the sti struts go pretty quick

Quick Reply: Evo Ix vs STi driving impressions