Notices
EvoM New Member / FAQs / EvoM Rules New member? Come on in, introduce yourself, and get acquainted with the evolutionm.net posse :) FAQs will also be answered in here.

A\F ratio's

Search this Thread

Old Sep 17, 2010, 06:27 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
A\F ratio's

So i am looking to get a tune sometime soon i have a turbo back exhaust megan 02 and downpipe STM test Pipe and a Espiller JGT500 Catback. i am installing my wideband and was going to get a tune sometime soon. i want a Safe tune but i also want the most power i can. it is my daily driver so i need it running but i would like the occasional flames if i push it and the extra power is nice. i was told that an 11.2 a\f is good but today at work a kid said if i run 11 i will blow my motor so think about that .2? i donno but another person said 11.5 should be good or even .7 i dont know much about A\F but i would appreciate your help. if anyone can put in their $.02 that would be great THanks!
Old Sep 17, 2010, 09:33 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
first off keep you wideband. its a super important tool.
are you talking idle afr or wot afr..
idle/ should be like 14.5-15.0
cruising at constant speed about 15.0 depends on tune tho.
wot 11.5-12. but thats just what i have heard and experienced. these number are not
hard. just what my car and most other lightly modded car fun at.
i dont think 11 or 11.2 will hurt anything. thats running rich so no blown motor. anything above 16.0 tho i would be wary of pitting you piston and what not
Old Sep 18, 2010, 04:39 AM
FJF
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by polish_pounder
So i am looking to get a tune sometime soon i have a turbo back exhaust megan 02 and downpipe STM test Pipe and a Espiller JGT500 Catback. i am installing my wideband and was going to get a tune sometime soon. i want a Safe tune but i also want the most power i can. it is my daily driver so i need it running but i would like the occasional flames if i push it and the extra power is nice. i was told that an 11.2 a\f is good but today at work a kid said if i run 11 i will blow my motor so think about that .2? i donno but another person said 11.5 should be good or even .7 i dont know much about A\F but i would appreciate your help. if anyone can put in their $.02 that would be great THanks!
Whoa, stop listening to random folks who don't know WTF they're talking about and find a good tuner. STM isn't that far from you. As you seem interested in the specifics, I'd suggest starting with the stickies on the EcuFlash forum.
Old Sep 18, 2010, 02:20 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
+1 for going to STM

For AFR's, I shoot for 14.5-15.0 idle/cruise
Spool up- 12.5:1ish
Fullboost-11.5:1 tapering down to about 11.1ish at redline

this is for 93 octane. E85 is going to be different
Old Oct 9, 2010, 01:42 AM
Evolving Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
the kid that said 11 would blow your motor was a f@cking retard, the lower ur afr is the richer ur engine is running, rich is better then lean, lean is usually in the 14-15.5 range at a normal idle range. when you run at WOT(wide open throttle) which means that according to cops your testing the stamina of your vehicles engine. lean is a pre detonation, rich is way better but the draw back is you go through spark plugs way faster. Look, im no real mechanic but between this web site, my personal tuner, my personal mechanic and my car building crew, i've learned alot.
Old Oct 9, 2010, 11:31 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
thanks for the imput. my buddy can get me a tune pretty cheap he had his car tuned and said he can just transfer the maps to me? is this true? also my car only has a TBE and intake cone. is it worth a tune? i am probably getting LICP and a hard intake pipe will it be worth the tune? i was told its the best thing i can do even with a stock evo
Old Oct 9, 2010, 11:34 AM
FJF
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
You can't be serious.
Old Oct 9, 2010, 11:51 AM
Evolved Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
On my Evo 9 on pump gas WOT 600awhp 11.2 on the money ran many years with no issues.

P.S. Heavy modified evo on less mod evo I would probably run a little richer just to be safe.
Old Oct 9, 2010, 06:46 PM
Evolving Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
thanks for the imput. my buddy can get me a tune pretty cheap he had his car tuned and said he can just transfer the maps to me? is this true? also my car only has a TBE and intake cone. is it worth a tune? i am probably getting LICP and a hard intake pipe will it be worth the tune? i was told its the best thing i can do even with a stock evo
as long as the tune is cheap as you say then a tune even if the car was stock is a good thing, yes the lower intercooler pipe is a good mod, yes your buddy can program his map into your ecu as long as you have the same setup.
Old Oct 9, 2010, 07:06 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by adam_79_2005
the kid that said 11 would blow your motor was a f@cking retard, the lower ur afr is the richer ur engine is running, rich is better then lean, lean is usually in the 14-15.5 range at a normal idle range. when you run at WOT(wide open throttle) which means that according to cops your testing the stamina of your vehicles engine. lean is a pre detonation, rich is way better but the draw back is you go through spark plugs way faster. Look, im no real mechanic but between this web site, my personal tuner, my personal mechanic and my car building crew, i've learned alot.
^
Depends on what you are looking for. Running richer will keep things "safe" but when you run richer during WOT you are giving up HP.

Originally Posted by FJF
Whoa, stop listening to random folks who don't know WTF they're talking about and find a good tuner. STM isn't that far from you. As you seem interested in the specifics, I'd suggest starting with the stickies on the EcuFlash forum.
^

GOOD INFORMATION

Originally Posted by FJF
You can't be serious.
^

Getting a "cheap" tune isn't necessarily the smartest thing to do. It seems you want to mod your car without having to pay the cost for tuning. Tuning the ECU properly is where you are going to get the most out of your setup. Taking your buddies map isn't the greatest idea. Just becaust you have the same mods as him, doesn't mean your car will perform the same. Not every car is the same. The best advice I can give you is get a tune from someone who is a professional.
Old Oct 9, 2010, 07:30 PM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by Sharkbite2000
On my Evo 9 on pump gas WOT 600awhp 11.2 on the money ran many years with no issues.

P.S. Heavy modified evo on less mod evo I would probably run a little richer just to be safe.
Exactlyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy sharkbite 11.2 all day is the best and safest the most I would run is 11,5 no more but feel more comfortable with 11.1 to 11.3.Polish pounder just go to a good tuner they know where to set the afr's..
Old Oct 9, 2010, 10:47 PM

theirs different tuning af's that different people use...

my aggressive tunes are always on pump gas 93 octane...wot ...11.7-11.9
a good tune not so aggressive id say 11.3-11.6 and ud be happy
Old Oct 10, 2010, 01:51 PM
Evolved Member

Received 126 Likes on 121 Posts
Originally Posted by adam_79_2005
as long as the tune is cheap as you say then a tune even if the car was stock is a good thing, yes the lower intercooler pipe is a good mod, yes your buddy can program his map into your ecu as long as you have the same setup.
NO NO NO

Every single car is unique so I would not recommend listening to this advise. For example some cars like more boost while others prefer more aggressive timing.

My advise for you is to take your car to a reputable shop who is experienced with evos and have them set you up
Old Oct 10, 2010, 07:02 PM

Originally Posted by EVO8STI
first off keep you wideband. its a super important tool.
are you talking idle afr or wot afr..
idle/ should be like 14.5-15.0
cruising at constant speed about 15.0 depends on tune tho.
wot 11.5-12. but thats just what i have heard and experienced. these number are not
hard. just what my car and most other lightly modded car fun at.
i dont think 11 or 11.2 will hurt anything. thats running rich so no blown motor. anything above 16.0 tho i would be wary of pitting you piston and what not
I have similar mods and this is about what I see. I have a AMS tune.
Old Feb 11, 2011, 05:27 PM
Evolving Member

hey sorry to hijack the thread but i need some help. my car( 03 evo 8 gsr) no fuel system mods. idles at 16.0-17.0 and cruising is the same. and wot its 15.0 and it was just fine last week when i parked it. and today i fixed my heated seats and put under dash neon lights in witch are both wired to my ignition wiring and now it runs like this!?? help!

Quick Reply: A\F ratio's