Notices
EvoM New Member / FAQs / EvoM Rules New member? Come on in, introduce yourself, and get acquainted with the evolutionm.net posse :) FAQs will also be answered in here.

why so hard to drive?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 26, 2010, 07:43 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by white_evo27
i wouldnt suggest trying to NLTS feature if you dont know if you have the Tephra Mod patched or not... im going to assume its not on there if you didnt ask for it... most tuners dont throw that patch on there unless you specifically ask for them to do it
bought the car used....it was tuned before me so i wouldnt have the slightest idea. im thinking about taking it to iveytune just for the peace of mind but i gotta save up some cash first.
Old Oct 26, 2010, 09:51 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I noticed driving an evo from other manual cars that the evo likes a little gas just before clutch grab/full engagement. Does it buck/jerk if you rip on it, shift slow and smooth, and lay into it again?
Old Oct 26, 2010, 09:57 AM
Evolved Member

i also noticed that it likes a little gas on the upshifts when driving semi-spiritedly. after a long drive on the highway the normal shifts driving on normal roads are bit more touchy-feely for some reason......
Old Oct 26, 2010, 01:40 PM
Evolved Member

I have a '05 MR with the same clutch, I can tell you this bit*ch is jerky and yeah mine likes gas on upshifts too.

I've been driving manual for less then a year so I'm somewhat noob, learned on my 5spd AWD dsm then recently bought an Evo after not shifting for several months.

You will eventually get the hang of it, but remember the Evo drivetrain is unforgiveable lol.
Old Oct 26, 2010, 02:05 PM
FJF
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by escodotcarter
bought the car used....it was tuned before me so i wouldnt have the slightest idea. im thinking about taking it to iveytune just for the peace of mind but i gotta save up some cash first.
I'd strongly suggest having the car retuned, especially since you have no idea how it was tuned to begin with. Speaking from experience, a tune will make or break the drivability of the car. FWIW, I can recommend Em@STM. I'm sure Iveytune is excellent, as well. Good luck.
Old Oct 26, 2010, 02:06 PM

I have this same issues, I dont think I have the stock clutch but dont know what is in it. I miss 2nd gear almost every time when I am getting on it because it doesnt want to 'slide' in.
Old Oct 26, 2010, 03:13 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I just got an 05' and am a noob to the Evo, not a noob with a clutch.. With that said, Shifting can be VERY harsh and it needs some finesse for everything to go smooth..
I find the best and smoothest performance so far this way... Rip it... off gas, clutch in.. shift.. clutch out smooth but fast and rip again... ofcourse that all happens in about 1 second...
Old Oct 26, 2010, 03:35 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
ok......let me start off by saying i am a new owner of a 06 IX SE. I have been on this forum for many years and i love it. I've had the evo for a little over 2 months now and its great except i am having such a hard time shifting when i get on it. high rpm shifts are really boggy, jerky and just plain god awful.

Some background info.... i am 24, first manual car owned, first manual car driven EVER. i know, i know.......get a civic and practice on that. Well, i bought the evo because i've been in love since it came to the US but was only recently able to afford it.

Car has aftermarket clutch...i believe it is ACT Heavy Duty.

Being that this is my first manual car, i have no previous experience to compare anything I am doing too. I dont know if im doing it right or wrong. Normal driving is fine...smooth and proper. upshifting/downshifting no problem. I dont beat on the car at all, really. I have about a 37 mile commute each way and i would really enjoy being able to attack the on-ramp twice a day but im so afraid that im going to break something because of the way i've been shifting.

I am basically at the point where i would pay someone to help show me how to do it.....reading explanations online doesnt really help. I live in Rockland County, NY work in Morris County, NJ. If anyone would be willing to spend an hour with me and try to help me out i would buy lunch/dinner/beer whatever or just give you some money for your time.

please dont flame/bash/banter/etc.....
no bashing or flaming coming from me! i am thrilled to see you asking someone to help you in person. that is the only way to learn and solve your problem.

coming from the X section, there are tons of threads about how to drive stick and the user always ends up absorbing some bad info and blaming the car for their shortcomings.

hats off to you and i hope it really is just your driving and not the ACT or tuning.
Old Oct 27, 2010, 06:42 AM
Evolved Member

so i met up with a fellow member yesterday and he thought the car was running excellent. He hooked up his laptop to check out the tune and he said everything was looking good........i let him drive my car and it was like night and day....i really need to learn fast because they way he was driving it made it seem like a whole new car.

at least now i now the only thing wrong with my car is the driver..lol

Last edited by escodotcarter; Oct 27, 2010 at 06:54 AM.
Old Oct 27, 2010, 06:53 AM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 43 Posts
so i met up with a fellow member yesterday and he thought the car was running excellent. He hooked up his laptop to check out the tune and he was everything was looking good........i let him drive my car and it was like night and day....i really need to learn fast because they way he was driving it made it seem like a whole new car.

Glad I could help you out man. Car really does feel great, pulls smooth, idle's strong and falls to idle strong. Tune is certainly safe enough!!

As I recommended a retune could def squeeze some more power out, getting a wideband O2, and a Tephra modded rom is always nice so you have knock cell.
Old Oct 27, 2010, 07:01 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by gsrboi80
Glad I could help you out man. Car really does feel great, pulls smooth, idle's strong and falls to idle strong. Tune is certainly safe enough!!

As I recommended a retune could def squeeze some more power out, getting a wideband O2, and a Tephra modded rom is always nice so you have knock cell.
i'll keep that in mind.... thanks again
Old Oct 27, 2010, 07:22 AM
Evolving Member

so i met up with a fellow member yesterday and he thought the car was running excellent. He hooked up his laptop to check out the tune and he said everything was looking good........i let him drive my car and it was like night and day....i really need to learn fast because they way he was driving it made it seem like a whole new car.

I kinda figured that (not trying to bash u r anything) lol. I had the same problem when I installed a ACT 6 puck unsprung in my last car. It was retarded how different the clutch was and wasn't very smooth for a while. But once I got it down I loved it and everything was like butter! You'll pick up on driving it perfect, once you get everything down you'll never wanna drive a stock clutch car ever again
Old Oct 27, 2010, 07:35 AM
Evolved Member

i feel like there is such a fine line between let the clutch out too fast and getting whiplash and letting it out to slow and just slipping the crap out of it....
Old Oct 27, 2010, 08:05 AM
Evolved Member

Good to hear, that clears up the thought.

Originally Posted by mcm308
I just got an 05' and am a noob to the Evo, not a noob with a clutch.. With that said, Shifting can be VERY harsh and it needs some finesse for everything to go smooth..
I find the best and smoothest performance so far this way... Rip it... off gas, clutch in.. shift.. clutch out smooth but fast and rip again... ofcourse that all happens in about 1 second...
Make sure your clutch isn't dragging, if it is a aftermarket clutch take a look at the clutch master rod under the dash it's above clutch assembly might of not be adjusted.

Where does your clutch grab off the floor or higher up?
Old Oct 27, 2010, 08:24 AM
Evolved Member

mine grabs higher up