Notices
EvoM New Member / FAQs / EvoM Rules New member? Come on in, introduce yourself, and get acquainted with the evolutionm.net posse :) FAQs will also be answered in here.

the new toy! IX GSR-SE

Search this Thread

Old Dec 1, 2010, 08:14 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
the new toy! IX GSR-SE. w/ a few questions!

well hello everyone! so i finally got my new project home, drove her back from CA to MI.

2006 Tarmac Black GSR-SE. 35k miles.absolutely love it!

cant see it vary well, but here she is in front of the Las Vegas sign.

me and the car at Vail pass.

just to cover the basics, my names Bryan and i work in vehicle development.
please excuse the stupid angle my hat's at in the last pic, i had been up for way to may hours and tossed it on when i was caught off guard by the cold.

before this car i had a black cobalt that made 514whp on pump93 at 23-24psi. the motor was a work of art, i had almost 50hr's into the development of the intake manifold alone (cfd work, flow measurements, ect) My plans for this car are to make ~550whp with as much torque and area under the curve as possible. I've already started to design a trick turbo manifold and i've got a custom built 62mm turbo(thanks to Mac at STC) mix in a ported head, valvetrain, and a set of kelford 272's. i dont see the power as being an issue to make.

any who, i'm not a big poster unless i hit a issue BUT i've already go so many questions about this car. the aftermarket and accomplishments of the community are truly impressive! i look forward to contributing in any way possible.

Bambi ended the life of my cobalt, i absolutely miss that car!

few inital questions. driveline wise, what are the diff types on this car?(front and rear?) from what i gather the rear is a clutch type LSD and the front is a helical LSD. is that correct?

also, i've ordered the radio relocate kit so i can put gauges where it is from the factory. do they make the gauge panel and HVAC surround in CF? what about the trim around the shifter/lower console? id like it to match the factory dash trim.

edit-
not much on the forum about this, any one have experience with it?
http://www.carbontrix.com/mitsubishi.htm

Last edited by 06Black; Dec 1, 2010 at 08:34 PM.
Old Dec 1, 2010, 08:49 PM

congrates dude...looks very clean
Old Dec 1, 2010, 09:02 PM
Evolving Member

Holy blood on the cobalt Batman.
Old Dec 1, 2010, 10:19 PM

HI

Dont know Much about the driveline except that tranfer case is kinda weak , unless you take care of it

welcome to the club
Old Dec 1, 2010, 10:24 PM
Evolving Member

Nice choice I wanted a 9 but I settled for a 8 lol but as the gauge pods gruppe-s sell the shifter console and hvac pod in carbon iirc and good luck with the car
Old Dec 2, 2010, 07:27 AM
FJF
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Ghost1t
Dont know Much about the driveline except that tranfer case is kinda weak , unless you take care of it.
Let's define "weak." Typically, TC issues are driven by 3 thing: underfilling the TC, using the wrong fluid, and the very common, replacing the clutch with a far less forgiving alternative and launching the car badly and repeatedly.
Old Dec 2, 2010, 08:10 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by 06Black
few inital questions. driveline wise, what are the diff types on this car?(front and rear?) from what i gather the rear is a clutch type LSD and the front is a helical LSD. is that correct?

also, i've ordered the radio relocate kit so i can put gauges where it is from the factory. do they make the gauge panel and HVAC surround in CF? what about the trim around the shifter/lower console? id like it to match the factory dash trim.

http://www.carbontrix.com/mitsubishi.htm
I think you are correct on the LSD styles. The IX has the LSDs you mentioned, where the VIII has an open front diff. I believe the center diff is also a clutch style.

So, with my understanding ... Front (L to R) is helical, center (F to R) is clutch and rear (L to R) is clutch.

I think the Carbontrix surround is actual carbon, where the dash piece is not real carbon. You'll be hard pressed to find a matching pattern. I'd suggest removing the dash piece and stereo surround and painting them both with a matching gray color (similar to stock) to make all 3 match correctly.

If you just want carbon, I don't think anyone makes a replacement carbon dash piece that will match the stereo surround, nor have I seen a console piece in carbon.
Old Dec 2, 2010, 10:48 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by TouringBubble
I think you are correct on the LSD styles. The IX has the LSDs you mentioned, where the VIII has an open front diff. I believe the center diff is also a clutch style.

So, with my understanding ... Front (L to R) is helical, center (F to R) is clutch and rear (L to R) is clutch.

I think the Carbontrix surround is actual carbon, where the dash piece is not real carbon. You'll be hard pressed to find a matching pattern. I'd suggest removing the dash piece and stereo surround and painting them both with a matching gray color (similar to stock) to make all 3 match correctly.

If you just want carbon, I don't think anyone makes a replacement carbon dash piece that will match the stereo surround, nor have I seen a console piece in carbon.
thats exactly what i was hoping to avoid. the stuff in the car doesn't look all that good on its own, but if it all matched i think itd all be a bit more seamless.
Old Dec 2, 2010, 10:50 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by pflores210
Nice choice I wanted a 9 but I settled for a 8 lol but as the gauge pods gruppe-s sell the shifter console and hvac pod in carbon iirc and good luck with the car
yea, i almost did the same. however the MiVec head was worth the extra cost involved. should help me get the turbo up a bit sooner. the few initial changes i've made in the tune in regards to MiVec have made a world of differance thus far.
Old Dec 2, 2010, 11:43 AM

Originally Posted by FJF
Let's define "weak." Typically, TC issues are driven by 3 thing: underfilling the TC, using the wrong fluid, and the very common, replacing the clutch with a far less forgiving alternative and launching the car badly and repeatedly.
Yeah , thats why i said take care of it
Old Dec 2, 2010, 12:18 PM
FJF
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Yeah , thats why i said take care of it
Ummm...not exactly. The TC are not weak, but they can be broken by dullard on a mission. There's one hell of a difference between the two.

Last edited by FJF; Dec 2, 2010 at 12:34 PM.
Old Dec 2, 2010, 01:26 PM
Evolving Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Gorgeous car! If your ever interested in selling the SE wheels let me know!
Old Dec 2, 2010, 02:30 PM
Evolved Member

nice man i flew to michigan to pick mine up good stuff im sure u'll enjoy the evo just as much
Old Dec 2, 2010, 02:32 PM

sweet evo x behind your cobalt there
Old Dec 2, 2010, 02:34 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
HI

Dont know Much

welcome to the club
^^^this should of been you orginal post

Last edited by EvoJoeIX; Dec 2, 2010 at 02:44 PM.

Quick Reply: the new toy! IX GSR-SE