Notices
EvoM New Member / FAQs / EvoM Rules New member? Come on in, introduce yourself, and get acquainted with the evolutionm.net posse :) FAQs will also be answered in here.

Thanks for noticin' me...

Search this Thread

Old Dec 5, 2010, 08:22 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for noticin' me...

Hello all.

My name is Jeff. I live in VT, and have never owned an Evolution. I love cars. I autocross, sometimes rally-x, road race a spec Miata in the New England region, and participate in motorsports as often as my schedule allows. I find joy in each wheel-drive orientation, (FWD, RWD, AWD)...

I have owned many cars, (too many if you ask my wife for example, 5 Miatas, STI, M3, 3 914's, etc.)... and it's finally my turn for an Evo.

Currently my summer street car is a 99 FMII Miata. My project car is a 93 Miata with an SR20DET on board, RX7 TurboII diff full roll cage, race seats, GT2871RS, etc... My race car is a 90 Miata 1.6 SM SCCA car. My winter car was a Ford Focus that became mine when my wife rear ended someone just hard enough to make it driveable, but ugly, --hence mine, until a couple of weeks ago when the differential started a drum solo. No more Focus for you!

For the last few years I have wheel-to-wheel ice raced my prized 1989 Mazda 323 GTX. While this car was sweet, and very competitive, I wanted to sell it before all the parts for those cars dry up, and folks would be afraid to buy one. I sold the car at the beginning of this past summer.

This left me w/ 6 months or so to find my next ice racing car. I often obsess over choices like this. Since I can find a way to enjoy a lawn tractor, (love all things w/ motors), this left me w/ many potential choices in all flavors of FWD, RWD, and 4WD/AWD. Over the last couple of months I have comprised a spreasheet divided into FWD, RWD, and AWD, with about 75 cars of potential interest in all. It's sorted by power-to-weight ratio. The class I aspire to compete in (unstudded tires), allows for little modification.

While I will dearly miss the lightness of the GTX, when I pick up my 2005 MR on Friday (should all go well), I will not miss the open center diff and open front diff that the GTX was pigeon holed into bearing. Of all the cars I considered, I have chosen an Evo as my next ice racer. Until last Tuesday I was down to two Evos to choose from. Ultimately, I chose one that is for sale in North Carolina, and my remaining days off from work this year will be consumed next week on a fly-down, drive back adventure I often take to collect the next cool car from "wherever it lives"!

I have spent some quality time since making this decision absorbing EVO specific knowledge both here and at tristateevo. I have much to learn, but am not allowed to modify the car, (which will thankfully save me a fortune short term). That all said, introductory stickies were essential in leading me to which models had all the limited slips, and best bang for the buck. It ultimately boilded down to a fairly modified RS I LOVED in New Mexico, or an MR that was completely stock in NC, (both with 25-30K miles). Honesty first, MR it is.

So here I am. I'll probably be leeching off the for sale forums for rims & tires to start with, and hopefully be able to contribute some cleverness at some point.

So I assume the default is to trust sellers here? Any deadbeats I should not consider buying from?

Can't wait to get started w/ the Evo experience!

Jeff
Old Dec 5, 2010, 12:46 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
nice to meet ya bro! u sure do like those miatas huh?
Old Dec 5, 2010, 01:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Playap07
nice to meet ya bro! u sure do like those miatas huh?
Perfect 50/50 balance, lightweight, convertible, and in some cases more power than a stock evo w/ RWD and a limited slip... yes, I like them very much!

Sometimes I get home from work w/ the '99 FMII (flyin' Miata turbo setup) and wonder how car-folks can get by w/out one. It's a little super car, on a budget.

Thanks for the welcome!
Jeff